Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Starting a club in the Denver Area  (Read 3678 times)
Kaza yuri
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -39

Shikin Haramitu Daikomyo

« on: October 02, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »

Alright i have the bug, After getting my sabers and "playing" with them for a bit i am hooked. I am thinking of starting an LED club in the Denver area with a focus on learning stage combat and martial movement. At least in the beginning it would not be for Dueling as I would assume everyone is starting from the beginning and the number one rule in my opinion is safety first.

I have a Chuden (2nd degree in english) Instructor certification in Ten Chi Wa Ninpo Tai Jutsu (A group with its roots in Genbukan Ninpo) and I recently received my Shodan in the Biken Jutsu system (katana sword work) and Roku Shako Bo (6 foot staff). i have been training in this style for 20 years this year. I think adding something that is just fun but is rooted in good solid martial movement would be a great way to just be silly and have a good time without the stringent traditions of a traditional art. (however if people in the group like that kind of thing we could meditate and add lots of traditions to the group but that would be a group decision)

The classes I am thinking would start with understanding striking, targets, movement, foot work and understanding the use and manipulation of "center line". Working towards fast paced choreography. If the interest is there eventually, as the group were to improve we could then add sparring as it could be done with control and skill on the part of the participants.

I think as a group if we could grow to have some short set patterns we learn that can easily be identified by the groups in the combat allowing us to "Improvise" longer battles would be a super fun thing to shoot for. Kind of like improv dance companies.

If anyone has any pieces of advice on how to get the group up an running strong let me know. i will be making a facebook page for the group soon and i will post the links up once I get them done.

And Thank you to ultrasabers for getting me hooked on a new hobby!

Learning how to love is the goal and the purpose of spiritual life
Not learning to develop psychic powers, to bow, do yoga, chant, or even meditate
But learning how to love. Love is the truth. Love is the light
Wish List - Crimson Scorpion, 2 Dark Arbiters with Menace Emitters, Dark Prophecy
Owned - 19 Sabers and counting, to many to list . . .

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 01:27:55 AM »

Hi Kaza Yuri.  This sounds like a lot of fun and will teach self discipline and empowerment.  Wish that you lived in my city as I would sign up pronto.  Best of luck with your endeavor, and there are some forum members who may be able to share their experience and advice.   Smiley

Jedijosh
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 105

Come back to the light side we have chips & Salsa

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 07:34:38 PM »

Best of luck to you:).

Sabers:
Aeon v2 (CG), Archon v2.1 (VA), Graflex CE (Obsidian Emerald), Guardian (Obsidian GB),

Wish list:
Azure Mantis, Arbiter, Bellicose in RGB, Chosen One CE, Consular in CG, Prophecy v3

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 03:50:55 PM »

Sounds cool. I'm just outside Colorado Springs. I would be interested if the scheduling works. It is a bit of a drive.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Stiletto
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 54

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »

Hi Kaza, greets from Pennsylvania.

I've been involved with several East Coast saber choreography clubs since 2008 - many have come and gone and yet I'm still here, which reminds me that I really should update my forum signature - and I have quite a lot to say on the subject of starting clubs and so on, but very little time. Cheesy

The best synopsis I've ever seen for those who want to start up their own clubs/groups was written by Caine Drathul (posted here, and on other forums). I agree wholeheartedly and you can read it here:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=1770.0

Kaza yuri
Knight Officer

Shikin Haramitu Daikomyo

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »

I will keep everyone posted on the progress, Thanx for all the positive thoughts! Firehand10k i will post details, if you are on face book and want to pm me the info I can add you to the group i am starting there so you know the updates right away. Dauntless Seven, if you ever come to Denver for some reason let us know it would be awesome to get together even for an impromptu class! Also that was the first post i read in this area and it is great advice! that is actually what made me think hey i can follow those rules, i can do this!

Not learning to develop psychic powers, to bow, do yoga, chant, or even meditate
Wish List - Crimson Scorpion, 2 Dark Arbiters with Menace Emitters, Dark Prophecy

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 05:26:21 PM »

And I just moved back to Ohio too and was in Colorado Springs. I would've gladly joined up.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Kaza yuri
Knight Officer

Shikin Haramitu Daikomyo

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 04:32:55 PM »

Just an update, I am starting the club meetings on Sunday November 2nd! We have a good location and a good starting group.

I will post pics and maybe some videos of what we do as i get them.

If you are in the Denver area let me know and we can get you down to a meeting! Very Excited!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »

Hi KY.  How exciting for you and your group.  Look forward to photos and whatnot as your class develops.  Any idea's of what the name will be?  And thanks so much for your kind invitation.  One day I just might hop on a plane for a little fun and adventure and what's up with that Denver airport.  As Spock would say ... fascinating.   Smiley

Kaza yuri
Knight Officer

Shikin Haramitu Daikomyo

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 12:02:25 AM »

For right now I started the group with the name One Force, the idea that there is no light or dark side in this group, just the force, we all learn and play together and where that path takes you outside of our group can only be directed by you and the force. We train Sith and Jedi alike, side by side, as there is no judgement in this group, Just The One Force.

Also I live here and I think the same with that airport, what is up with that . . .

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 05:40:02 AM »

What about the airport? The tent made to look like the mountains? Or the blue devil horse statue that killed its creator? Or is there something even more sinister?

Could always fly into Colorado Springs and ride up with me. Spend more to travel longer.  Tongue

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Malum Rex
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 05:06:11 PM »

I will be moving to the Pueblo area, possibly Denver in the next few months, would love to make contact with you and see how things are progressing.

Ulfr
Bassist Spectral Manifest
\m/ (>.<) \m/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpU4Brh1tQ4

Kaza yuri
Knight Officer

Shikin Haramitu Daikomyo

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »

M. Rex, The invite to the facebook group has been sent. Look forward to meeting up!

Kaza yuri
Knight Officer

Shikin Haramitu Daikomyo

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »

for anyone keeping up with the club. here is a first draft of the basic club code of ethics. Let me know what you think.

Why we train, how we train
One Force LED Saber club does not train bullies. We train people who are interested in learning the martial arts as a means to further the development of their body, mind and spirit. Our training is achieved through a combination of solo “kata” drills, in which students learn movements by repeating them (muscle memory), and partner drills, in which students learn to apply their movements by working directly with another student.
We do not practice “randori” (free sparring) in class. We are training for fun with a focus in staged combat and choreography for saber “duels”.
Martial Roots
Take a moment to sense the significance of your presence with One Force every time you enter the training area. You are not here by accident. Be aware of a feeling of appreciation for the fact that you are a part of our clubs historical legacy. (Even though it is pretty new at this point)
Relationship to Other Students
Treat those older than you with respectful attention, and those younger than you with helpful care. The moment you become a member of the One Force, you are the “elder brother” or “elder sister” of anyone who joins the group after you. Take responsibility for introducing new students in the training hall. It is your job to make them feel welcome. Get to know the names of new students. Answer their questions. Help them adapt to the new experience of being a member of One Force.
Training Gear
Handle all training gear (swords, pads, staffs) with respect. Place them on the floor out of the way when you are not using them. Never toss, drop, or throw an item onto the floor.
Safety
To properly cultivate skill, we need to know that training is safe. We engage in study, not competition. Never force a technique on your partner beyond reasonable limits. There is no reason for any exercise in the One Force to ever reach the intensity and damage potential of an actual fight. There is no need to injure yourself or others in order to progress. Use artificial targets (punching bags, shields) to test your power, speed and intensity. Use human partners to test coordination, spontaneity, distancing and timing in a manner safe for all. A larger partner needs better technique, not more force. Be alert. Actively keep safety in mind. Eating, chewing gum or wearing jewelry of any kind during training is not permitted. Please do not do so. Tie back long hair for safety. Keep effective learning and safety in mind when training with other members.
Weapons
No weapon is to be used without the permission of the Instructor. Swords, staffs and other weapons displayed on the walls should not be used without the Kusa Dojo’s Instructors explicit permission.

Kaza yuri
Knight Officer

Shikin Haramitu Daikomyo

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »

Just Finished all the notes for a ton of our starting material, Saber Spinning, stage combat patterns and ideas, Shii Cho TPLA patters and ideas and my entire Biken Jutsu (Katana) Curriculum to date.

Should be enough to keep us busy for a while . . . . . .

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: