Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: n00b questions: AV switch, obsidian upgrade  (Read 6126 times)
tr00per
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: August 02, 2011, 01:41:33 AM »

Hello everyone.
First off, I LOVE these sabers. I am pretty sure I am going to buy one. In the interest of saving money, I am considering buying a hilt without an obsidian soundboard or multiple LEDs and adding them in later. I just have a few questions (of which I have done my best to search for the answers to).

All the videos I have seen with the obsidian soundboard feature sabers with the illuminated AV switch that can be held down to power on/off and tapped to produce (what i can best describe as) a cutting sound. If I were to order a saber without an AV switch, will i get the same functionality? Would I need to buy a saber that has the AV as an option?

My understanding is if I want just two or maybe three colors I need to order one color, the quick disconnects, and the other color from the BYOL? Or is this completely incorrect?

If you have any recommendations for me, feel free to post them.
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: While browsing the forums, i found answers to some of my questions (i didn't search for 'sound' for some reason, only 'obsidian')
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:06:23 AM by tr00per » Logged

Ex Nihilus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -25

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:07:30 AM »

Let's see if I can help you out a bit.

1. You can get and Obsidian sound board without the AV switch. On the sabers with sound, you'll see options for Obsidian install or Obsidian install with blue AV switch. I am not 100% certain, but still pretty certain that you get the same functionality if you do not get the illuminated AV switch.

2. Actually most of the sabers with sound are pre-Obsidian. Only the Consular and Bellicose are post-obsidian sabers. But I think you're referring to the regular sabers without a sound option. These sabers were designed without sound in mind. While they may not be optimized for sound, a sound board could be installed with some custom work. If you wanted sound installed in one of those sabers, you would need to e-mail Deep to see if US could do that for you as it is not something offered as standard at this time. You may have to wait until the Custom Saber Division is fully up and running.

3. You are correct. However I would suggest that if you were going to get 3 colors, to just order a saber with an RGB option, as the LED modules and MLS units are $25 and $35 each respectively, while an RGB setup - which gives you all 7 colors, is only $90.

4. Yes, the Custom Saber Division, when fully operational, should be able to take care of most of your customization needs.

(Just a disclaimer - I am not an US employee, and I have answered these questions to the best of my knowledge. Ultra or Deep would be able to confirm or deny these 100%  Cool)

Liberator - Arctic Blue
[||___|___|o__|:|:|

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:17:44 AM »

Hello everyone.
First off, I LOVE these sabers. I am pretty sure I am going to buy one. In the interest of saving money, I am considering buying a hilt without an obsidian soundboard or multiple LEDs and adding them in later. I just have a few questions (of which I have done my best to search for the answers to).

All the videos I have seen with the obsidian soundboard feature sabers with the illuminated AV switch that can be held down to power on/off and tapped to produce (what i can best describe as) a cutting sound. If I were to order a saber without an AV switch, will i get the same functionality? Would I need to buy a saber that has the AV as an option?

My understanding is if I want just two or maybe three colors I need to order one color, the quick disconnects, and the other color from the BYOL? Or is this completely incorrect?

If you have any recommendations for me, feel free to post them.
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: While browsing the forums, i found answers to some of my questions (i didn't search for 'sound' for some reason, only 'obsidian')

You will get the same functionality as far as I can gather.  Instead of the standard latching switch (used in no-sound sabers) US would most likely outfit your saber with a momentary switch, giving you the same functions without the AV (AV is a type of momentary switch.  Run some searches here and on google to learn more)

Second, when ordering the quick disconnect extra LED sets you need to make sure you order the one that is compatible with the hilt you've purchased.  From a quick read the LED Module fits into stunt sabers (no sound) while the MLS unit fits into the items under the sabers with sound category.  Or go with the RGB options as Ex Nihilus has suggested, however know that you will not get the true Sunriders Destiny or Arctic blue colors as they are the same pair of LEDs with different resistor settings.

Cheers and Welcome,
MAV

tr00per
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:39:03 AM »

Thank you both very much. Yes, Ex Nihilus, you were right about #2.  Now i'm just debating waiting until the custom shop opens or not...

Just so I'm clear, Deep is shipping@ultrasabers.com?

EDIT: One more question. I'm torn between a Dark Prophecy LE and a Darth Vader ANH Stunt. Which would you recommend? The Darth Vader will retain the built in sounds (like a conversion) right? I've read that ultra FX hilts are difficult to duel with, is this true?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:05:46 AM by tr00per » Logged

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Suns of the Force

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 03:21:18 AM »

Thank you both very much. Yes, Ex Nihilus, you were right about #2.  Now i'm just debating waiting until the custom shop opens or not...

Just so I'm clear, Deep is shipping@ultrasabers.com?

EDIT: One more question. I'm torn between a Dark Prophecy LE and a Darth Vader ANH Stunt. Which would you recommend? The Darth Vader will retain the built in sounds (like a conversion) right? I've read that ultra FX hilts are difficult to duel with, is this true?

Yes that is Deep's email.

As for the Dark Prophecy LE and the Vader stunt, I have a Force Fx saber and to me it's just too wide with too many extra things on it to duel with.  It's a personal preference though.  I have a Prophecy and I love it.  As far as the sound it contains I wouldn't know.  Ask Deep.

Cheers
MAV

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 05:24:52 AM »

As far as the sound it contains I wouldn't know.  Ask Deep.

It's a stunt, therefore it doesn't have sound.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

tr00per
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 05:53:24 AM »

oh alright, thank you  Grin
is there anything else that makes it a stunt?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:56:54 AM by tr00per » Logged

Sub-Zero
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 7

I am weilder of the Wan.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »

Stunt just means no sound. Wink

Really, it comes from the fact that, in film, the sabers used don't have sound until it gets added in post. They are merely for stunt.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »

It's a stunt, therefore it doesn't have sound.

My meaning was that I'm unsure of the sound that comes in the Vader ANH.  It's an Ultra FX and it says on the page that it retains all sounds but doesn't specify what board is uses so I'm gonna say it uses the standard MR FX board it is built with.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 03:39:31 PM »

oh alright, thank you  Grin
is there anything else that makes it a stunt?

The Vader ANH stunt is literally just a Vader FX saber converted to a single LED with no soundboard in it.  See to get the FX sound for their other sabers (before Obsidian) they used to just buy Force FX sabers and rip the soundboard out - this left them with quite a few extra soundless fx hilts so they started selling the Anakin stunt, then the Vader one.

tr00per
Force Sensitive

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 08:01:02 PM »

Gotcha. The problem is I have to decide to get a new graphics card and a cheap saber (probably a grab bag that i'll upgrade), a really nice saber and delay gaming on my pc, or vice versa. I think I will most likely buy the Vader ANH Stunt and add in the sound later if I go with that route. Thanks for all your help, guys. I'll post my results when I get them

On a semi-related note, the Vader Stunt has pictures that can be seen by clicking "larger photo" but aren't shown underneath the main thumbnail image.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:05:15 AM by tr00per » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: