Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: First Purchase  (Read 1789 times)
firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« on: October 15, 2014, 02:17:36 AM »

Got my emerald Azure Reaper and my Crimson Scorpion today along with the free initiate. I had planned to do and unbox review followed by a very detailed full review like I used to write for steel swords. Unfortunately that went out the window when I unexpectedly saw my wife with the Fed-Ex guy. They had "the box" I forgot where my camera was and after a brief inspection for possible shipping damage (there was none) I opened it up. I was thinking since placing the order about giving the free initiate to my daughter to train with me since we both see her MR Vader as a cool collectible decoration. When it came out of the box and happened to be a Dark Initiate LE V2 with violet amethyst it was hers before she got down there to see it.

Then came mine both larger and lighter than I expected. The extra large grip takes some getting used to but I love the way the scorpion handles, funny thing since I had never until doing it on a whim during deal of the day, thought of getting one. the Azure Reaper I love to play with but am still working with the grip to find just how I like it.
I have the emerald driver set up in what I'm calling Captain America format. Its red and blue pulsing at equal times so when swung it looks like a blue blade chasing a red one or vice versa and white flash on clash, So effectively red white and blue.

More to come and pics tomorrow. Had too much fun playing today and wife is calling me for dinner.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Darth Calico
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -51

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:29:34 AM »

Got my emerald Azure Reaper and my Crimson Scorpion today along with the free initiate. I had planned to do and unbox review followed by a very detailed full review like I used to write for steel swords. Unfortunately that went out the window when I unexpectedly saw my wife with the Fed-Ex guy. They had "the box" I forgot where my camera was and after a brief inspection for possible shipping damage (there was none) I opened it up. I was thinking since placing the order about giving the free initiate to my daughter to train with me since we both see her MR Vader as a cool collectible decoration. When it came out of the box and happened to be a Dark Initiate LE V2 with violet amethyst it was hers before she got down there to see it.

Then came mine both larger and lighter than I expected. The extra large grip takes some getting used to but I love the way the scorpion handles, funny thing since I had never until doing it on a whim during deal of the day, thought of getting one. the Azure Reaper I love to play with but am still working with the grip to find just how I like it.
I have the emerald driver set up in what I'm calling Captain America format. Its red and blue pulsing at equal times so when swung it looks like a blue blade chasing a red one or vice versa and white flash on clash, So effectively red white and blue.

More to come and pics tomorrow. Had too much fun playing today and wife is calling me for dinner.

Red, white, and blue sounds cool!  I'll have to try that!  I'm a big fan of the Emerald driver. Welcome to the   Ultrasabers family!

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 02:27:00 AM »

Here we go. I got over the initial excitement a little and remembered to charge the camera battery.
Starting with the free initiate. My daughter wanted to tell what she thought of it herself since I decided to give it to her.

http://youtu.be/Dh6GSL9Zovg

Now for the fun. I was really surprised at the size and the weight of these things. When the box arrived I kind of thought they were shipped separately even thought it said one shipment because I was expecting them to be heavier. The balance on both the Scorpion and the Reaper falls withing an inch of the forward grip area. both of these are very quick for me even when using them single handed.
Now for the pics. I uploaded many more pics on my Flickr and each has my thoughts in the description but here are the main ones.

Here are all 3 together.
All 3 by Firehand10k, on Flickr

The one with the ultraedge blade is the mid-weight but the one with the standard blade is heavy weight. I don't really notice the actual physical weight difference but I can feel the give more when the heavy-grade strikes because there is more weight in the flex of it. The next two shots were taken in rapid fire mode of the camera. I did not change the color of my Emerald driver in the Azure Reaper. That shows how my blade pulse is set with the red blue pulse colors.

Fae loves the color of her initiate:
IMG_6927 by Firehand10k, on Flickr

And I like the two retention screws to be sure the blade wont go flying when she gets a little wild:
IMG_6924 by Firehand10k, on Flickr

Now onto the Azure Reaper. As I said it was even bigger than I anticipated. I knew the dimensions but until you hold one its hard to fully grasp. The neck part was really wide but I have big hands so it can be used as a grip area. It is easier to maneuver gripping the main body though.
Azure Reaper w/ Obsidian Sound and Emerald Driver by Firehand10k, on Flickr

The claws have a very nice polished finish and the blue anodizing looks nice and feels good. It is kind of a satin like finish and reduces the slickness a full polish could have. Since the parts are obviously anodized separately there is some color variation between the pommel and emitter pieces and the body pieces.

The screws that hold the emitter in place at the right angle pull it tight enough to help retain the blade even thought they do not go all of the way through to the blade.

Again some rapid fire pics of my "Captain America" light scheme including the FoC just as the white lit, Extra bright. I love the windows.

Now for the Crimson Scorpion. Honestly I never considered buying one of these until it happened. I wasn't a fan of the claw at all. I got it only because when the time arrived to make my order it was on the deal of the day. I am so glad it was. This is actually my favorite of the two. I like the size the ridges in it for grip points and the placement of the switch versus all the other parts. I did not get Emerald in this and even though I do live the Consular green in it I kind of wish I had got it in emerald just for a little more variety. I am sure I will get another one at some point though and that will likely have Emerald.
Crimson Scorpion w/ Obsidian Sound by Firehand10k, on Flickr

Once I saw the claw in person I was hooked. The proportions to the hilt really make it a more complete piece with the claw.

The details created by using a shroud with cutouts over and etched do add a lot to this saber both looking good and a little more grip point.

Again there is a slight variation in the color between the pommel and the body due to the anodizing taking differently. The color different is hard to see but the handle has a bit more gloss to it than the pommel. Notice the hard reflection on the hilt next to the soft one on the pommel. Doesn't hurt anything, it's just there.

I have opened them up and looked at the wiring and played with the Emerald driver and the Obsidian sound  board a little. I'm still trying to figure out other fonts for it. The sound is great on both. Not too loud unless I hold it pointed toward me ear but loud enough to annoy my wife.

Of course the most important part - play time. We bashed and crashed for quite a while. Ended up popping the tip off the mid-grade blade but the rest stayed in place. It is fixed with hot glue and no more trouble since. These are so much lighter and safer than the wood swords I'm used to. Even the heavy-grade blade gives way more than oak or hickory. I would never let my daughter swing around a wooden sword the way she does these. She still gets her fingers in the way using the wrong sort of blocking sometimes. and after a few tears I ask if she's hurt or wants to keep going. I have to move very quick when she yells, "Keep going!" and swings at the same time. And no I don't remotely swing as hard as she does when playing with her.

http://youtu.be/fN0mxdLchqw
http://youtu.be/3CfZVgm_SPY

I like the way the red/blue pulse looks in the video. Like I have different colors up each side of the blade.
 She says the red/blue pulse gives her a headache and told me I should only use my Scorpion when fighting her.

Thanks for looking.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex