Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Jedi costume questions  (Read 4331 times)
aray887
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -42

« on: November 14, 2014, 05:47:48 AM »

So, I decided to order a semi-jedi costume pattern. Not sure if I can say who makes it but for sake of argument let's just say its got the #5840 attached to it.

Does anyone have any experience altering this pattern (sleeves and tabard)? Or any other alterations I should be aware of.

Also, when it comes to fabric are there any kinds I should check out?

Any tips, tricks, or advice is welcomed and needed.

scythe1980
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 23

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 11:40:09 AM »

i had mine made using this pattern. made the obi just a long rectangle. as for the shoulder pieces, i had to have them elongated then at the point where the obi covers them needed to put a dart in it so that as they meet they will hand straight down. in my case i decided not to have them connected to the obi. the shirt works well. for the belt and obi i originally used a heavy linen. but that sucker wrinkles horribly and is a total pain to keep looking nice, they basically turn into a wrinkled cord after one wash. i'm making a new set out of a lighter canvas type material so that they will look nicer. i've seen them done in vynal and leather to. thats my only suggestion on material. otherwise find what looks interesting and what you would think looks good. i didn't make the dickie thing, i ended up just using a light scarf that i wrapped around my neck and tucked into my over shirt. bit more comfortable in texas.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »

Simplicity pattern 5840? Wink yes you can say it here. I have this pattern, though I think I used another pattern when making my costume? Ive got a lot of patterns sorry, one of my others is a martial arts uniform, so Im not sure which was used for it. From memory I did comparisons and for the tunic they are similar enough. It depends exactly how picture perfect you want it. As it is, the tunic pattern works fine- with a few minor adjustments to suit my body shape and personal preferences thats the basic type of pattern I used for mine. If you want it more like the movies, some adjustment is needed- the bottom of the outer tunics in the movies is more skirted and so the pattern needs adjusting to match. If you want to be really particular they have all other kinds of little adjustments to make em 'movie accurate'. Personally I'm of the opinion that those tiny bits dont matter, if people can recognise you as being a Jedi thats good enough for me Smiley

As for the tabard, if you want it more like the movies then you want the bits hanging down the bottom front. To get them to hang nicely, add extra sections to the bottom to form a Y shape, as opposed to just a straight piece down the front on each side. It sits much better. And as Scythe says, a rectangle shape works for the obi. For mine to make it more movie like I took a trick a Rebel Legion member posted on the forum, two pieces that are the same rectangle, then a third for the front which is the same length but oblong shaped to make it wider in the middle. This means that you can have a nice solid obi, but pull bits around or bunch em as you want to give the scrunched obi kinda look in the movies . If you want your obi and tabard to sit a bit better and you are using normal material, have it double layered. I cheat and dont use a dickie or proper inner tunic- I just have a long sleeve shirt, but then my costume is also TOR era and it suits.

As far as fabric goes, any type of cotton. Cotton breathes better so is cooler when hot, but still warm when cold. Polyester fabrics will get hot and sticky. Linen is good as it breathes and many people here have used or recommended it, but it does wrinkle terribly and requires a lot of ironing (one of our RL members complains about hers a lot lol). Osnaburg is a textured cotton material which is apparently good for giving the movie look (and it does look good, seen osnaburg costumes in person), but where I'm from its almost impossible to find. I have just used a homespun cotton for mine from the quilting and craft section of one of our big fabric retail chains. It has nice weight and feel, and there are so many shades of brown in it that I have my pick. It requires a bit of ironing but it isnt too bad. From personal experience steer clear of the real thin cottons (like poplin). Its too thin for tunic and pants, though for making a robe it works just fine (coz we live in a hot climate) but again isnt as movie accurate. For tabard and obi, as the pattern suggests you can also use vinyl/ leatherette/ pleather/ leather.

the robe pattern from that isnt very movie like though, either it would require some adjustments or get a different pattern for therobe. Basically if you want a prequel look robe you want it pretty big and baggy, both in the sleeves, hood and main body. There are some cheats home made style patterns online that are very simple and effective, if you want it holler and ill hunt it down for you.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »

Sorry to double post, its too hard to edit from my tablet. As luck would have it, my costume is out and waiting for two trooping events tomorrow Cheesy you can see the Y of the tabard here (with my crinkled looking obi behind it, it looks a bit eh hanging but gives a good effect once on with the belt over the top). The back is one piece rather than the movie two pieces as I prefer it. I have a button at the front and elastic at the sides to make it sit nicely without the need for pins or constant adjusting, these are hidden under the obi. You cant see it, but the obi latches closed at the back with skirt/ trouser hooks. And yes my outer tunic is sleeveless, it suits my costume. Almost all of this outfit is hidden under my robe (which you can just see behind everything, theres plenty of photos of me in it on the forum) so not much of it is actually seen.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

aray887
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 04:03:04 AM »

Thanks! These posts really do help out a lot. I can't express how helpful this community is. You guys rock! I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way, so keep an eye out.

aray887
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 11:02:57 PM »

Simplicity pattern 5840? Wink
the robe pattern from that isnt very movie like though, either it would require some adjustments or get a different pattern for therobe. Basically if you want a prequel look robe you want it pretty big and baggy, both in the sleeves, hood and main body. There are some cheats home made style patterns online that are very simple and effective, if you want it holler and ill hunt it down for you.

Do you have a better suggestion for a robe pattern? I'd like to stick true to the movies. With a different color combo. Thinking black with a green accents, black with gray accents or gray with green accents (all dark nature colors, going for a gray Jedi look)

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »

Dark grey and emerald green like accents would look good. =] Found a simple pattern/tutorial on Google once but forget what it was. Just type in Jedi costume pattern I think and the page should come up with directions and pictures on the side. Then on the very bottom they'll be a group shot and one with Kit Fisto in the picture. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

aray887
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 08:42:42 PM »

Dark grey and emerald green like accents would look good. =] Found a simple pattern/tutorial on Google once but forget what it was. Just type in Jedi costume pattern I think and the page should come up with directions and pictures on the side. Then on the very bottom they'll be a group shot and one with Kit Fisto in the picture. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with the gray with green. I bought a simplicity pattern. I can't sew, so I've tasked my mom with helping me with it. I'm excited to finally look the part and not just have the weapon.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 09:06:30 PM »

I got my leather tabbards and obi done today finally after having to trim the edges up some, had to draw a guide line with a permanent marker though so I'll have to clean that off before show casing. It'll go with my all black costume I did. I think you guys will like it. =] Can't wait to see yours done.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO

aray887
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 06:50:28 PM »

OK, so I've officially gotten the pattern, and I went out today and bought $80 worth of osnaburg fabric. (Everything I've read on multiple sites, this is supposed to be a really good authentic looking fabric. Plus its also what B1ondeage1 suggested). It only came in a natural color, looks beige to me. So I bought some black stain and an olive green stain for the fabric. Hopefully the colors turn out the way I want them.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:58:22 PM by aray887 » Logged

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »

I just ordered a Jedi top set from Twin Roses. I'll post each piece individually for you to help with that part at least if you want. The tunics and such. They will be in next week.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: