Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: First attempt at Dark Initiate Customization  (Read 4122 times)
Abigorish
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -5

« on: November 18, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »

Hey Everyone!  So after many months of going back and forth on what I wanted to do on my Dark Initiate, I finally said screw it and just started.  I decided to first add some weathering to the hilt.  I started with 60 grit, moved to 165, 220, and finished it off with 300 grit sandpaper. 

I decided to add Kind of a fade to the sanding/weathering.  This was mainly because when I hold the hilt I tend to favor the top half, so I figured fading would make more sense.

Hey Everyone!  So after many months of going back and forth on what I wanted to do on my Dark Initiate, I finally said screw it and just started.  I decided to first add some weathering to the hilt.  I started with 60 grit, moved to 165, 220, and finished it off with 300 grit sandpaper. 

I decided to add Kind of a fade to the sanding/weathering.  This was mainly because when I hold the hilt I tend to favor the top half, so I figured fading would make more sense.

The next step was to add a D-Ring to the pommel.

For this I started off by placing the D-Ring on the pommel, and then securing it with some Gorilla Glue Epoxy. Next I marked where I wanted to drill the holes, and used a drill bit that was a tad bit smaller than the screw themselves.  Once I got through the Pommel I started with a Power drill, and finished off the screw with a hand Screw driver.  This was mainly because I didn't want to break off the heads of the screws.

The Third step was adding Vent holes into the top of the Hilt.  My dad got a new Drill Press so I said why the hell not!

Here are some close ups of both sides.

If you haven't noticed, the vent holes are uneven.  This was my bad!  It was our first time really using the Drill Press, Not that it was that hard to use, but Keeping a Round object completely secure and lined up with out a triangle was a little difficult.  It's okay though,  It doesn't really bother me, I kind of like it like that. Anyways! After I drilled the holes, I used another drill bit (don't remember what it was called), but it was used to smooth out the edges, and kind of adds that slant 360 degree around the vent holes.

The last step was adding some grip.  This was just adding some Fabric that I got from my mom.  I didnt do anything special with it just wrapped it a few times.

Thats about all I got! I am pretty sure I am done with customizing on this one.  If I do anything else it may just be some dings or dents to resemble blaster marks.  But I found I can get that effect just from fighting with friends and dropping it on accident!  Anyways, Hope this helps anyone that decides to do some customizing on their own sabers!

Sabers I own: Dark Initiate V3 - BR, Bellicose - SRD, Malice - GB w/ AG FoA

Sabers I want: Dark Prophecy - BR or SRD, Shock - VA

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:10:35 PM »

The weathering while simple and easy makes a huge impact on the over all apearance of the saber, I added the same D-ring to my pommels and it looks great and its very functional.  Nice work!

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »

Hi Scrams.  You have done a fantastic customization.  I looove the gradually fading brushed look weathering.   And would not use the ragged wrap as it covers up the hilt detailing and for my taste does not seem to compliment the saber.  Also would you please post a pic with the blade illuminated as I want to see the light coming through the emitter holes.  The D-ring to the pommel looks really good.  A well deserved point for you.   Shocked

Abigorish
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 12:10:54 AM »

Thank you! I also agree with you on the wrap, originally it wasn't so ragged, so I plan on replacing it but I am looking for something I can use that doesn't cover so much.

Here are two pics with the blade turned on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:43:04 AM »

Oops, sorry Abigorish for giving the credit to Scrams.  The emitter window holes look good.  Amazing that this is your first customization.  Can't say attempt, cus' you hit it out of the ball park!  Two points for you.   Smiley

Abigorish
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 11:57:47 AM »

Oops, sorry Abigorish for giving the credit to Scrams.  The emitter window holes look good.  Amazing that this is your first customization.  Can't say attempt, cus' you hit it out of the ball park!  Two points for you.   Smiley

Its all good, And Thank you!  Like I said, It took me months to finally decide on what I wanted to do and watched many many videos lol.  So when it came time to start, it had a pretty good idea of what I needed to do and it was just a matter of committing to it.  I Would say all in all, it took a total of 3 or 4 hours from starting the sanding, to finishing the emitter windows.

greywolf520
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »

Where did you get that D-ring, and does it come in black?

Dark Initiate LE V4 (windowed), Consular Green 36" Heavy Grade
Initiate V2, Guardian Blue 24" Heavy Grade

Dream Saber (WANT): Clawed Reaper Hilt in Circuit Board Green with Emerald and Obsidian

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »

I used the same D-ring and I got it in the picture hangers section at Lowes. I've only seen them unpainted. I spray painted mine.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Abigorish
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »

Just like srams said, you can get them at hardware stores.  Picture sections, or in the hardware sections.  I am sure you can get them in black, but I am not sure about the one that I used.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: