Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Cheaper sound?  (Read 2249 times)
Cindykt
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« on: August 05, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »

Hi all,
My sister and I are looking to buy a lightsaber each, but as we are young, we have a tiny budget of up to $100 each. We can afford grab-sabers and the like, but we really need sound and it just wouldn't be the same without it. We saw that there is the Obsidian Soundboard that you can plug into the computer, but we really don't need all the fancy stuff. We just want basic lightsaber sounds. Is there any affordable way we can do this at Ultrasabers?
Thanks,
 ~Cindy Smiley

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:00:39 PM »

I can tell you this:  there is nothing you can buy from Ultrasabers with sound that will be under $100.  You really have three options:

1.  Sacrifice the sound and just get a stunt saber to duel with (they're still AWESOME even without sound)
2.  Save up a bit until you have enough money to get one of the sabers with the Obsidian board
3.  Get a stunt saber and put sound in yourself

Keep in mind, the last option is MUCH more work.  I myself am trying to figure out how to install econo sound, and I've been on this forum and buying sabers for a while.  However, if you REALLY need sabers at under $100 each, you can try it.  Basically you get one of those light up Obi Wan toy sabers for about $20 at Walmart or whatever, and rip the board and electronics (very carefully) out of the hilt.  You then wire it up to your Ultrasaber (harder than it sounds lol) and this will give you sound.

If you select the third option, I recommend reading these forums as well as other forums in order to do some major research on saberbuilding before attempting to install the sound yourself.  If you select one of the first two options, feel free to browse these forums or even post in an attempt to find the right saber for you.  Good luck and MTFBWY!

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:10:23 PM »

If you select the third option, I recommend reading these forums as well as other forums in order to do some major research on saberbuilding before attempting to install the sound yourself.  If you select one of the first two options, feel free to browse these forums or even post in an attempt to find the right saber for you.  Good luck and MTFBWY!

You must listen to Nero on this.  He and I are both working on these projects, together actually.  It requires skills in electronics as well as knowing how to use some dangers tools.  If you are as young as you are seemingly trying to indicate then I suggest you go with one of the first two options because you won't get a saber for such a low price anywhere else and there isn't a lower cost for preinstalled soundboard anywhere.

Cheers,
MAV

Cindykt
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:23:58 PM »

Well, I am rather good at circuits, but probably not that good. My main talent is making them blow up. Do you know if there are other soundboards available elsewhere?
Also, we have 2 engineers for parents who are extremely good at this kinda thing, do you reckon they could help us? It could be our little project Smiley

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 12:42:15 PM »

Well, I am rather good at circuits, but probably not that good. My main talent is making them blow up. Do you know if there are other soundboards available elsewhere?
Also, we have 2 engineers for parents who are extremely good at this kinda thing, do you reckon they could help us? It could be our little project Smiley

HAHAHAH I know what you mean about blowing up circuits.  Yes, asking your parents sounds like a great idea, I'm sure they have the knowledge and would love to work on a project like that with you!  I might even ask my dad about a few things, Artorius and I are trying to read up on the topic but you can only learn so much from literature alone.

As for soundboards, there are many different kinds.  Econo boards are the ones I mentioned, they're taken from the basic toys that have lights and sound (go for the Obi Wan hilt though, it is smaller so it has the smallest board of them all - makes it easier to squeeze it into a small stunt saber).  Tough to say what the next step up is, sound boards can get pretty expensive.  If I had to recommend something one step up as a dueling saber, converting a Force FX saber to single LED on your own is reasonable (you can get a Force FX saber new for around $100, or used for even less).  After that, your best bet is getting one of the Ultrasabers with Obsidian sound - the prices go up even more sharply from there on!

Cindykt
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 02:04:27 AM »

Yeah Force FX, we were thinking about that but then we saw that they are likely to break if you smack somebody/thing with it, and repairs are really expensive. What we're really looking for is something realistic, durable, affordable, smackable and repairable. D'you think you could give me a link to this Obi-Wan toy lightsaber? I need to do a bit of scrounging as I live in Australia, and I'm not quite sure where I can find it.
MTFBWY and thankyou so much for your help Cheesy

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 02:28:34 AM »

As far as I know, they sell them in Australia, but just in case:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3797586

(Sig by me!)