Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: unrecognized device  (Read 11586 times)
Ephraim151
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 13, 2015, 02:47:23 AM »

Hey, been noticing a common problem with windows 8.1 and the soundboards. I'm running Windows 8.1 with a standard soundboard, and my computer dose not recognize my device at all. I've tried all the "quick fixes" (i.e. disconnecting and reconnecting, uninstalling and re-installing, etc.) I've seen on the forums, and nothing. My computer displays my saber as Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). Any attempt to alter, update, or restore my saber fails. Any ideas?

nevernate
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 03:30:58 AM »

I'd like to get an answer on this as well. The very first time I plugged in the saber, it loaded the driver, Obisidian recognized it, displayed serial number and acted like I was going to be able to load fonts onto it. But as I was hitting the button to save the fonts, the saber sound came back on, and all the fonts I set up disappeared. I now, cannot get the Launcher to recognize the saber. I've tried everything you have. Someone said to try using a usb hub in between, but I don't see how that would make a difference. If I plug it in, without being powered on, I get a prompt saying USB device not recognized, I power it on, and nothing. Try hitting the "Connect" icon, and I get a message saying no device detected. This is disappointing at the least. I have a scorpion model too, and I have to fight with it to get it recognized as well. I'm running Windows 8.1 on an ASUS RoG laptop. I know all my usb ports work, as all my devices can plug into them no problem. I wish I had an answer.

Jiberias
Knight Lance Corporal

The Rule of Two- Graflex CE Red Bright & Loud!

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 04:39:43 AM »

I get that now. I'm running win 8.1. I tried the install of Obsidian V3.2.2 & no difference. On my old PC I used V2.2.2 & I connected fine. I purchased my Graflex CE in Dec. 2013. Have you guys figured it out yet?  

nevernate
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 03:02:01 PM »

I get that now. I'm running win 8.1. I tried the install of Obsidian V3.2.2 & no difference. On my old PC I used V2.2.2 & I connected fine. I purchased my Graflex CE in Dec. 2013. Have you guys figured it out yet?  

I wrote in another thread, but, putting a USB hub between computer and saber worked. Some other people tried that after they had the same issue. It does it every time now. Something with 8.1 drivers and 3.0 USB ports I'd imagine

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »

^ This. It's always been a problem with Win 8.1 and the Obsidian Sound Board. Using a USB hub and/or a USB 2.0 port very often solved the issue.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Jiberias
Knight Lance Corporal

The Rule of Two- Graflex CE Red Bright & Loud!

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »

I wrote in another thread, but, putting a USB hub between computer and saber worked. Some other people tried that after they had the same issue. It does it every time now. Something with 8.1 drivers and 3.0 USB ports I'd imagine
But what version of Obsidian should I use with a 2013 build & running win 8.1?

nevernate
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »

But what version of Obsidian should I use with a 2013 build & running win 8.1?

I was using the version before v4. 3.1.4 I think it was

Racona Nova
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 08:12:36 PM »

That's the correct one. Although it says 3.1.4 here, it's actually 3.2.2 according to the launcher itself. But that doesn't matter, you always get the latest version when using the download link from here. If you intend to buy a saber with the Obsidian v4 sound board, you'll need the v4 launcher from here. This one is also compatible with the v3 boards and, after an update released in the future, the Emerald Driver.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:18:39 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Connah
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light, Dark, both extremes annoy me

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 11:26:24 AM »

i've had the same problem this morning, I'll go and try that now

"there's no such thing as overkill. It's just making sure"

Dominix V4 VA with sound
Scorpion R+B Emerald with sound

Loraxis
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -11

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 12:50:39 PM »

I encountered this same problem...and tried the above fixes...I'll try running it on one of my other computers (without 8.1) and see how that goes

LIFEFORM
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »

Hi, I've had this problem too, where no amount of rebooting or turning off & on or replugging would get the soundboard to connect.

Think I may have stumbled on a workaround though:

-Open the Launcher
-Turn saber on and plug it in to the computer
-Right-click the Windows icon and click 'Device Manager' (or however you prefer to open device manager)
-Find the 'USB Input Device' with the yellow exclamation symbol on it
-Right click that device and click 'Disable'
-Right click it again and click 'Enable'

That did it for me. I've had to try it twice before, but usually it connects right up after the 1st try.

LIFEFORM
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 12:07:02 AM »

On further review, Disabling and Re-enabling in device manager seems to have the same success rate as just unplugging an replugging the cable, so it's quicker just to do that a bunch until it connects.

Yare
Force Sensitive

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 05:13:09 AM »

I joined to post what worked for me: using a different USB cable. The one that came with my Ultra Saber resulted in an unrecognized device / failed descriptor error no matter what else I did. Switching to a higher-quality USB cable immediately resolved the issue.

LexJS
Force Sensitive

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 07:08:21 AM »

I have an Emerald driver and Obsidian v3 board. Emerald works as shown in video, However i am unable to "Write to Board" for fonts.  The sounds tab does not recognize my device. I've tried connecting with saber on, off, plugging saber in after USB and program on computer, and every other combination i can think of, including using a separate cable. (to connect both the non-labeled board, i assume is the obsidian board AND the Emerald LED board at the same time)

I figured out how to save font packages to hard drive, but the saber is simply not being recognized on the Ultrasabers Launcher for V3 and V4. (latest)

I have a V3, or at least I paid for it...but no sound modification abilities. (the default sound that came with as well as motion parameters will not budge)
I've uninstalled and reinstalled completely and am unsure what the problem is.  I already sent my saber in (had to pay shipping) for 2 other problems with my saber.  I read in the "Rules" post that Ultra can be accomodating and exceed customer expectations if given a chance. I sent an email regarding this issue and have not been given a timely response. (2nd ignored email to US)

I am wanting to provide Ultrasabers the opportunity to provide customer service to resolve this issue.  Thank you.

Racona Nova
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 06:34:21 PM »

What OS are you using? If it's either Win 8/8.1 or even Win 10, then this is a common problem with Obsidian boards and these OS's. A workaround that often helps is using a USB 2.0 port (USB 3.0 doesn't work properly) and/or using a USB hub to connect the saber instead of connecting it directly to the PC.

Regarding your issue with US customer service...well, it's true, the whole staff (Deep (Emory) and Ultra) is great in providing excellent service. If you don't get a response, it's mostly because they're either out of office (which should not be the case right now) or so busy that they can't keep up with orders and emails - and the release of the latest Star Wars movie doesn't make it easier. Hope you can understand that Smiley

Sig by Master Nero

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: