Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A note on lightsaber hilt styles in combat.  (Read 7231 times)
Darth Dyracus
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -14

Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. Fear is my ally.

« on: January 20, 2015, 06:53:26 AM »

I would just like to post this note for all those saber enthusiasts out there who think one or more style of hilt is incompetent or impractical.  When Jedi and Sith built their lightsabers, the process was completely personal.  Where a style may seem completely obsolete to you, to another it may seem totally practical.  For example, the lightpike is considered by many to be a severe downgrade from the saberstaff.  However, it is my weapon of choice.
Customization is a big part of being a saber wielder.  So if you have any degrading concerns or thoughts about any saber design, just remember that there is at least one other person out there who it works perfectly for.  Just cause you don't think its useful doesn't mean no one else will.
Just saying.

Always two there are; no more, no less; a master, and an apprentice; one to embody power, the other to crave it.
But which one are you faced with?  The master...or the apprentice?

There is no emotion, there is peace.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dark Initiate LE V4 w sound
Dominix LE V2 without sound
Flamberge LE with sound

DarthIgnis
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 12:42:40 PM »

My only issue with hilt designs in terms of combat are the hilts with control boxes or other extras bits that protrude from the hilt as they have a tendency to catch on the hand or cause sore spots where they press against the hand when wielded. I actually removed my covertech wheel for practice because it kept hitting my wrist and was slowly scraping/bruising the area it was hitting most frequently. Other than that I think anyones hilt design should suit whatever method/style of combat/dueling you wish to partake in. Be it long hilt, short hilt, rounded, slightly squared, staff, or pike, choose what fits you best and go from there.

ddarkus
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:10:11 AM »

after being away from light saber dueling for a long time (like almost a year now or more.) i finally got free time to practice again and was wondering do certain hilts stop you from doing certain forms, for instance a saber staff might not be the best choice for Makashi or perhaps a curved hilt would not work for Djem So?

DarthIgnis
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:56:56 PM »

I personally would say that they wouldn't stop you from using a particular form you would just have to adapt certain moves from a form to fit what style of saber you have. Makashi with a dual bladed saber can be done it just wouldn't "look" like Makashi unless you really knew and understand the moves and concepts well enough to see what's being done with the saberand how it Makashi is being applied in that particular instance.

Darth Dyracus
Knight Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:53:45 AM »

I agree, although make note of this: certain forms, like Makashi, are specifically designed for certain hilt models.  Form II is specifically designed for the curved hilt lightsaber, just as Form VI is specifically designed for saberstaffs and double saber wielders.  They can all be done with all styles, but certain moves may be made more difficult or much easier.  Adaption is key.  The best way to do so is to chose your preferred style of saber and practice with it from Form I up.  When you find the form that is best suited for you and your weapon, regardless of its specifications, stick with that.  And if you can't decide, just combine the traits of a few to create your own style.  Hardly any of the Jedi and Sith stuck to a single Form in their entire careers.

Always two there are; no more, no less; a master, and an apprentice; one to embody power, the other to crave it.

Flamberge LE with sound

DarthIgnis
Force Sensitive

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 02:19:54 AM »

I can agree with all but the first two lines of that. Makashi and Ataru were around well before the first users of curved hilts and double ended sabers. I think it's more a matter of practitioners of those forms creating hilts that fully utilize their own personal style within those forms. That's why we see users of those types of hilts drawn to those forms, because the hilt is designed to enhance the form, the form wasn't created because of the hilt design. I would also say Soresu is another form that has appeal to double ended saber enthusiasts.

Darth Dyracus
Knight Officer

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 04:11:35 AM »

Ataru is Form 4 IV.  I was referencing Form 6 VI, Niman.

Flamberge LE with sound

DarthIgnis
Force Sensitive

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 09:28:40 PM »

Oops totally misread that as a IV instead of a VI sorry. I still feel though that the form, be it IV or VI, came first and the weapons were created/adapted to more easily utilize the form to it's fullest potential.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 02:36:21 AM »

I'm always skeptical when it comes to usage of certain hilts, but I agree that it's personal preference like anything else.  That said, I always have recommendations for various preferences and styles if someone asks, since some tend to favor certain types of usage.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 11:24:40 PM »

Well, I have pretty much one of everything from US (well, I have a fair few, anyway) across a pretty broad range of styles, weights and complexities so I'd be interested in what you consider would suit different styles. In particular, should I ever get down to studying, I feel I'd eventually be focusing on dual wielding by way of Forms I, III and VI.

I know, I know, have my cake and eat it... Cheesy

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 04:42:48 AM »

Well, I have pretty much one of everything from US (well, I have a fair few, anyway) across a pretty broad range of styles, weights and complexities so I'd be interested in what you consider would suit different styles. In particular, should I ever get down to studying, I feel I'd eventually be focusing on dual wielding by way of Forms I, III and VI.

I know, I know, have my cake and eat it... Cheesy

Again, it's gonna vary person to person, but for a more single handed Form like Makashi or Soresu you tend to want shorter and simpler hilts that won't obstruct movement.  On the other hand, something like Shii-Cho or Djem So which favors two hands would be more suited to a hilt that accommodates both hands.  Some of the most fast paced or intense styles might require a better grip, such as ridges or a specific shape to keep a good hold on the weapon.

The main issues in regards to personal preference include size (I have larger hands so some hilts people find large I might find perfect) as well as background (mine is in fencing so I'm used to smaller, lighter weapons).

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 05:50:30 AM »

Again, it's gonna vary person to person, but for a more single handed Form like Makashi or Soresu you tend to want shorter and simpler hilts that won't obstruct movement.  On the other hand, something like Shii-Cho or Djem So which favors two hands would be more suited to a hilt that accommodates both hands.  Some of the most fast paced or intense styles might require a better grip, such as ridges or a specific shape to keep a good hold on the weapon.

The main issues in regards to personal preference include size (I have larger hands so some hilts people find large I might find perfect) as well as background (mine is in fencing so I'm used to smaller, lighter weapons).

Pretty much what the Master said.   Smaller hilts will lend to one handed styles while larger/ longer hilts will lend to two handed styles.

Think Apprentice/ Initiate/ Aeon/ Prophecy = Makashi or Soresu while Arbiter/ Bane /Standard Issue would be better for Shii-Cho or Djem So

I just wanted to elaborate on the specific types.  As Nero said it is preference though, some people have larger/ smaller hands/  some people one hand two handed sized hilts between choke points etc. 

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

SleezogTrang
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -36

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 03:18:16 AM »

As I've been using my dual Dark Monarchs, I've come to find they suit me better not as swords, but billy clubs or escrima style weapons. My buddy started to show me escrima exercises and they seem to work really well with the shorter hilts and shorter (24") blades. I was using them for faster flowers before, but for actual combat movements the escrima stuff seems to really work out well.

Sabers I Own:
Dark Monarch -Adegan Silver plus sound and AB foc. Silver AV. "SOUL"
Dark Monarch- Emerald stunt with lit AV "FIRE"
Liberator v2- Stunt in BR
Initiate v2- Pyrestone Orange stunt,
Manticore CE Nickel- Emerald w/ sound and EG foc Green

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: