Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Telling people to use the search function and other stuff  (Read 48604 times)
Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« on: August 10, 2011, 03:46:44 AM »

Fellow saber enthusiasts, as you have probably noticed, this forum is seeing some pretty amazing growth and will quickly become the #1 Lightsaber forum on the net.  This forum is becoming so popular because of all of YOU.  You make this forum such a great and friendly place and people want to stick around and become part of this special little community.  We're not going to be a little community for long, and growth is good, but it also means we'll get alot of new people here who may not have much experience with posting on a forum.

Many of you already have a good grasp of forum etiquette (Netiquette, as it is sometimes called), but many will not.  It is incumbent upon us all to educate the new comers with courtesy and respect.

Example, if someone posts a question that has been asked a hundred times before, certainly feel free to inform the poster about the search function - but at the same time, maybe also answer the question?  If the question is too involved for a quick answer, simply say so, like:

"This is a pretty complex topic that has been discussed at great length and can't really be explained in one post.  You can find threads about it with the Search Function"

If all you're going to do is write "Use the search feature", then I'd prefer you not reply at all since it comes across as unfriendly even when you're not trying to be.

There are other breaches in Netiquette that can be handled in an equally friendly manner, like typing in all caps, making multiple posts, making the same thread in different forums, etc.  I urge us all to have patience while we grow in popularity and make all the new comers feel welcome.

Lastly, from all of us at the Saber Forum Staff, thanks for being such a great group of people.  You've turned what started out as a little forum about Ultra Sabers into a thriving community that discusses everything from Martial Arts to Video Games.

Sub-Zero
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 7

I am weilder of the Wan.

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:58:22 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm always happy to point the way.

Glad that the famly is getting bigger.

Sephradragon
Knight Officer

I bear 2 sabers.They are part of Being.we are one

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 04:05:37 AM »

"teach our young padawans we must, mmmmm yes" I am just Glad we have such a great group of masters and elderstaff who can answer a lot of the questions. So Ultra, Deep, and the rest don't get too overloaded. Or at least they can point everybody in the right direction until The guys from US can give them the info directly.

arsenal~
Bane~ RGB (nymphadora)
nemesis(pvc)- GB (gadget)
catalyst-AV (spirit)
dark catalyst-AS (soul)
Whether dual wielded or attached into the staff "Being" these 2 sabers are connected through the living force and can not be separated. For they seek each other out.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 04:20:33 AM »

Heard and understood Ultra.  I like to point people towards the search function more when there's much for them to gain by it - some topics have some really good material that you can find just by doing a basic search.  I'm always willing to share (even repeatedly) my knowledge - the way I see it, not everyone is as nerdy as I am Wink.  I always try to be courteous and patient, and will continue to do so in the future.

TheOaf
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 13

Hrawr. Hrr. Etc.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 04:31:21 AM »

I'm so glad you posted this.  
There's a lightsaber forum or two out there that can be... well, shall we say, a tad unfriendly to anyone except their regulars.
As someone who is new to the hobby, it's frustrating to visit places like that, which are completely overflowing with people with years of experience and who can give some marvelous advice... just to get slapped down, often by a GROUCHY moderator, who is incredibly uncooperative and unfriendly.  I would name names but she probably lurks around this forum too (like Jaws, waiting to bite your feet off).
Oh, and as a business, it's really in Ultrasabers best interest to be NICE to its fans and to have fans be nice to each other.  We're in a recession, money is tight and Lightsabers aren't a necessity of life (though I might disagree with that part sometimes...).  Ultrasabers is by far the best option, but there ARE other options.  Pissing someone off or being rude can very easily drive them off or turn them away from the product entirely.  WE are the faces of Ultrasabers and it's up to us to build up its good name and keep it there.  The quality of the sabers themselves are obviously top notch and you can't beat the prices, but who wants to buy something from a jerk?
Keep it clean.  Keep it nice.  Try to make everyone happy.
I'm glad I joined this forum.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:17:06 AM by TheOaf » Logged

"Get in there!  Get in there you big furry oaf!"
"Sir, I must object.  The smell emanating from that crevasse is most disagreeable."

Onli-Won Kanomi
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 5

Jedi Knight Of Faith

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 05:08:44 AM »

Something that I confess I sometimes fail to apply as well as I should, but good advice in this and many situations imo...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4</a>

plain Stunt [Guardian Blue]
gold Minilord [Adegan Silver]
purple Minilord [Fire Orange]
Initiate v1 DIY [Fire Orange]
Wraith v1 [Fire Orange]
Wraith LE [Sunrider's Destiny]
Dark Apprentice [Blazing Red]
The Overlord [SRD]
Liberator v2 [Violet Amethyst]
Shock LE DIY [under construction]

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 07:25:08 AM »

So hypothetically, if they want to go to a thread about the search function they have to go to the search function and type in search function?    Um what?  Wait huh..........Look Squirrel!   
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXCu-1c6NGY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXCu-1c6NGY</a>

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

Nyte
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -27

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 12:42:21 PM »

I have to admit I may have given an abrupt 'Use the search function' reply recently which may or may not have caused someone to get annoyed(which, of course, was never my intention).
Regardless; read and understood, Ultra!

Also, is anyone else experience troubles checking people's profiles? I can't view anyone's profile, I just get an error message saying 'Many apologies, but you can't view just any profile'.

Shock LE - GB x2
Dark Prophecy - BR
Bellicose - Obsidian, blue AV, QD
Consular - Obsidian, blue AV, QD
Dark War Glaive - Obsidian, red AV, QD
Archon V2 - Obsidian, green AV, QD
CG, BR, VA, GB, FO, SRD MLS units

Sephradragon
Knight Officer

I bear 2 sabers.They are part of Being.we are one

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »

uhm I had been checking Profiles before. So I could check what people have posted before i commented(so I didnt look stupid). Yeah today I can't access profiles either. Must be down for the day

arsenal~
Bane~ RGB (nymphadora)
nemesis(pvc)- GB (gadget)
catalyst-AV (spirit)
dark catalyst-AS (soul)
Whether dual wielded or attached into the staff "Being" these 2 sabers are connected through the living force and can not be separated. For they seek each other out.

Darth Famine
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -14

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 02:47:12 PM »

I have to admit I may have given an abrupt 'Use the search function' reply recently which may or may not have caused someone to get annoyed(which, of course, was never my intention).
Regardless; read and understood, Ultra!

Also, is anyone else experience troubles checking people's profiles? I can't view anyone's profile, I just get an error message saying 'Many apologies, but you can't view just any profile'.
I am too. Maybe Ultra is cleaning em up or something.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken
The code of the Sith.
((______(o___(:|:| LIBERATOR GUARDIAN BLUE

Darth Famine
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -14

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 02:49:46 PM »

So hypothetically, if they want to go to a thread about the search function they have to go to the search function and type in search function?    Um what?  Wait huh..........Look Squirrel!    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXCu-1c6NGY#ws

OMG I saw him live when he came to Denver!!! His name is twiggy the water skiing squirrel and I got to pet him.....he was soft.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken
The code of the Sith.
((______(o___(:|:| LIBERATOR GUARDIAN BLUE

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 05:01:16 PM »

I am having no trouble viewing profiles or using the search function.  Try it again, Ultra has made some modifications to the site today.

MAV

Sub-Zero
Knight Lance Corporal

I am weilder of the Wan.

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 05:37:18 PM »

I am having no trouble viewing profiles or using the search function.  Try it again, Ultra has made some modifications to the site today.

MAV
I can't either. Says the same diddley previously mentioned, with the many appologies but.... stuff.

Am I grounded? I swear it wasn't me! Cheesy

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »

I can't either. Says the same diddley previously mentioned, with the many appologies but.... stuff.

Am I grounded? I swear it wasn't me! Cheesy

Just a permissions setting.  You can check profiles again now.

Darth Caugnien
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -36

Tamer of the Beast!!!

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 01:56:48 AM »

I'm so glad you posted this.  
There's a lightsaber forum or two out there that can be... well, shall we say, a tad unfriendly to anyone except their regulars.
As someone who is new to the hobby, it's frustrating to visit places like that, which are completely overflowing with people with years of experience and who can give some marvelous advice... just to get slapped down, often by a GROUCHY moderator, who is incredibly uncooperative and unfriendly.  I would name names but she probably lurks around this forum too (like Jaws, waiting to bite your feet off).
Oh, and as a business, it's really in Ultrasabers best interest to be NICE to its fans and to have fans be nice to each other.  We're in a recession, money is tight and Lightsabers aren't a necessity of life (though I might disagree with that part sometimes...).  Ultrasabers is by far the best option, but there ARE other options.  Pissing someone off or being rude can very easily drive them off or turn them away from the product entirely.  WE are the faces of Ultrasabers and it's up to us to build up its good name and keep it there.  The quality of the sabers themselves are obviously top notch and you can't beat the prices, but who wants to buy something from a jerk?
Keep it clean.  Keep it nice.  Try to make everyone happy.
I'm glad I joined this forum.

AMEN!!! Sorry for reviving this thread, but I know exactly where you are talkin about, and I got the exact same vibe. On... that place... it seems like "Use the search function" is an encouraged phrase, whereas here, a friendly, welcoming place, the head honcho *gasp* tells people to stay away from it. Again, sorry, but when I read this I felt all warm and fuzzy inside. Cheesy Oh, and on a slightly tangential note, were you (TheOaf) the same person who posted that niiice MHS saber in the Norse-inspired box? If so, sweet job!

My US sabers: RGB Bane W/Obsidian
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2170.0

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: