Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: !!! Flamberge Prototype !!!  (Read 9666 times)
julmax
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 75

A Sith... Hear? Bad Sishy, Bad Sithy! ...WOOSH!

« on: February 16, 2015, 08:15:35 AM »

This is a prototype...

This is a test of the emergency prototype system...

The saber forge in your quadrant, in cooperation with Republic and Imperial forces have developed this system to keep you informed encased a prototype...

This is only a prototype...

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Okay, okay...  Dropping into serious mode...

First things first...  As I alluded to in my pore attempt at a humorous introduction, it is important to understand that this particular Flamberge is one of the original proof of concept prototypes.  Or in other words, there are a couple of things which will ultimately be different on the final production models.  I'll point them out when we get to them.

Now, normally, the usual way in which to start a review is to give one's first impression.  But in this case, I'm going to withhold that until the end of the review.  With that, let's start off by looking at a few pictures...

An all options available saber, as well as some Flamberge specific options that I will cover shortly, the specifications for this example are as follows:

Obsidian sound in blazing red with either fire orange or sentinel yellow flash on clash.  I honestly cannot tell which and will have to isolate the individual LED's at a later date to find out.  Regardless, the hilt weighs in at just over 32 ounces and stands just under 14 inches tall.  Here's a lineup of some of the usual suspects for comparison...

The one in the middle!  He's the one that...  Um...  Oh ya...

...The aesthetics and attention to detail are simply outstanding.  Definitely on par with anything I've seen from Ultra Sabers...

In the nit-pic category...  The center vent on the pommel is not symmetrical, but you would have to be seriously OCD like me to be bothered by it.  

Gerrr...  

Where's my jewelers file set...  Must fix...  

Fine, just be that way...

Any-who...  Ultra Sabers has a well established reputation for producing some technically complicated sabers.  By that I mean, sabers that are difficult to make.  The machining work alone required to produce the recently released a Menace is testament to that fact.  Frankly, it's amazing when we consider that we're talking about production sabers and not one of customs.  And on that note...  The Flamberge is one seriously complex saber, definitely taking this reputation to the next level...

...And that isn't even completely disassembled.  The two peace flange system that mounts the cross guard to the hilt can also be removed.  But I strongly suggest you leave these flanges and cross guard assembly alone or risk damaging the cross guard LED wiring.

At any rate, the two peace flange itself is very robust.  Furthermore, although threaded as one would expect, it utilizes a well thought out system of internal rings and lands in combination with four sets screws to lock it in place.

All right, let's move on to what makes this saber unique, the cross guard lighting system...

I mentioned earlier that the Flamberge is an all options saber.  For the uninitiated, this simply means that it can be ordered with just about any option that Ultra Sabers offers.  However, with the Flamberge, you also have the option of ordering it with or without cross guard LED modules.  There available in any color, and they are full size full power modules that fit into the cross guard section the same way as in any other hilt.

Danger will Robinson, danger...  There's a caveat ahead...

Stupid robot...  

Yes, there is a big note of consideration.  At this time, the cross guard LED's are "single color only".  More specifically, if you were to order one with obsidian sound and flash on clash, the flash on clash will only work on the main blade.  Furthermore, with an emerald setup, one of the channels will have to be dedicated to the cross guard LED's.  In similar fashion in which a channel is dedicated to an illuminated AV switch, the dedicated channel can no longer operate the corresponding color for the primary blade.

Bottom line...  No matter what options you may choose for the primary blade, the cross guard LED's will operate as a single color only "at all times".

Another factor to keep in mind when choosing to equip your Flamberge with cross guard LED's is battery life.  This should be obvious, but three full powered LED modules running off a single set of 14500's does not equate to a long operation time.  So far, I've only been getting a maximum of about 30 minutes of run time per charge.  Is that normal...  Honestly, I'm not sure.  But given that running three independent modules at full power must be a much larger draw than an emerald driver powering three diodes for the purpose of color mixing.  The shorter battery life seems reasonable.  Undecided

Any-who...  The next set of pictures shows how the cross guard LED modules are wired.  However, this is where the prototype disclaimer kicks in...

Although you'll see a set of channels that were meant to provide clearance for the loose wires, the blade had to be ground off on either side.  Please remember, this was the first attempt at a proof of concept prototype.  Emory has assured me that the production sabers will have secured wiring with no blade modifications being needed.  Or in other words, the production models will most definitely be different...

This is mission control.  Give me a Go-no-Go for launch...

40 inch standard midgrade blade...  Hilt insertion, 3 and ¾ inches...  Two set screws...  Go...

6 inch standard midgrade cross guard blades...  Hilt insertion, 3/4 inch...  Three set screws each...  Go...

Batteries...  Go...

More batteries...  Go...

Immeasurable amount of awesomeness...  Oh ya...  Um, I mean...  Go...

This is mission control.  Flamberge launch is good to go in... 3... 2... 1...

Damn, this thing weighs a flipping ton... Shocked

Okay, okay...  But the Flamberge is most definitely a big two handed heavyweight saber.  As I mentioned earlier, the hilt (without blades) is just over 32 ounces.  Or to put that in perspective, it is only about 3 ounces lighter than the Malice and almost identical in weight to my Manticore staff.

That having been said however, the Flamberge feels surprisingly light and nimble in hand.  It also balances out quite well.  This, of course begs the question, can I single hand span this cross guarded monster?

The short answer is yes.  But at first, it sure wasn't pretty and it definitely wasn't fast.

However, with a little practice, I was able to do Obi-Ani's and forward crossovers at will.  More than enough to add a flourish to any two handed fighting style for which this saber is intended.  But you have to pay attention to your grip and the angle of the cross guard.  On the Obi-Ani for example, with the saber facing straightforward, the angle of the cross guard needs to be roughly parallel with the ground.  This establishes your grip position and you can start your flourish.  But don't let the saber twist from your grip, or you'll be hitting yourself with the cross guard.

At any rate, the Flamberge should be a more than capable dueling saber.  And as a self proclaimed spinning enthusiast, note that I did not say good, it is a fun challenge to see how well I can rock it with one hand.

BTW...  The choke point, for want of a better description, is perfection...

One more thing before moving on to some fun pictures of different pommel and emitter combinations...

In Emory's prerelease video for the Flamberge, he mentioned that although the emitters are MHS compatible, the concave cutout for the primary emitter wasn't well suited to accepting other parts.  This is what he was referring to...

Not very pretty, and you would likely scratch up the cross guard as well as the alternative emitter.

So...

After making a quick spacer and checking the fit...

Problem solved...

Please note however, that this sleeve is only suitable for display purposes.  For dueling, I would suggest using a minimum of a properly threaded ¾ inch extension.

And now, fun pictures...

I said that I would leave my initial impressions of this saber for the end of the review.  Well...  That impression is what the Flamberge immediately reminded me of, my Scottish claymore...

But it's not really the sword itself as much as it's reason for being.  A big giant hunk of steel meant to beat the you know what out of a fully armored Knight.

So it is with the Flamberge...  And personally, if I were placing an order for one today, I would spec-out a stunt with a 36 inch heavy greed blade and go beat the bee-gee-bee's out of the 501st.

Oh...  Um...  That's after order 66 of course...  I mean, I am a Jedi. Wink

All kidding aside, my hat's off to Ultra Sabers for developing yet another work of art that is sure to be a true must have for any collection.

This has been a test of emergency prototype system...

We now return you to your original forum...ing programming already in progress...

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:38:00 AM by julmax » Logged

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »

Awesome review again Julmax.
It seems like it's definitely important to remember the prototype status of this saber, but even as a prototype it is impressive. Have you done any heavy dueling with it yet, curious how it stood up with that - whether that cross guard is a nice addition in that regard.

Either way, it's awesome to have a prototype of what is probably going to be a very popular saber. Still have a tinge of that jealousy, but I'm happy you got it. Enjoy it.
  Tongue

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Waxman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 114

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:16:59 AM »

Wow... I'm at a loss for words.  Great review.

On a more constructive note of concern, however... 30 minutes of run time?

I certainly hope that's just for the prototype and not for the final product, otherwise that may be a huge deciding factor between getting sound vs. no sound, although I'm not sure if that will even make a difference?

I guess I'll just have to ask Emory personally at Wondercon.

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Aeon V3-GB. Dark Liberator V3-AB. Dominix V2-AB. Dominix V2-GB. Initiate V2-BR
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 12:48:32 PM »

No, seriously, how did you get to be the prototype guy?  I am so jealous...

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 153

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »

Wow... I'm at a loss for words.  Great review.

I certainly hope that's just for the prototype and not for the final product, otherwise that may be a huge deciding factor between getting sound vs. no sound, although I'm not sure if that will even make a difference?

Im with you on the run time, but My pre - order was placed a month ago, so too late for me now lol

Personally, I'm still SUPER pumped after seeing this review. If I find that the run time is, in fact, only 30 minutes, I'll probably just end up getting a larger battery pack from somewhere and upgrade it myself.

I could see it being a slight issue for those who do not have the DIY skills, however.

I also wasn't expecting to see those milled channels for the LED module wires either... I would hope that they do not obstruct the light to a noticeable degree..

Other than that, this thing looks awesome and I can't wait to "play" with mine Cool

Qui-Lar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 68

"This weapon is your life!"

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 04:14:48 PM »

Another awesome review! This is why
you are our proto represento! I like the
fact that you showed us different MHS
Compat parts, gives us a visual idea
for our own. Can't wait for mine. Thank
you for doing this review!

Catalyst(s) DarkArbiter DarkProphecy(s) ChosenOne
CrimsonMantis DarkLiberatorV3 InitiateV3 ShockLE
Guardian SentinelLEV4 Consular DarkInitiateLEV2
InitiateLEV2 Manticore(s) DominixV4 Flamberge(sss)
Bellicose Archon DominixLEV3(s) Monarch InitiateLEV3
SentinelV4 DominixV2RGB Scorpion(s) Menace(sssss)
DarkApprenticeV4 DarkSentinelLEV4 AeonLEV4V

cstoehr
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 117

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 04:44:06 PM »

Julmax, would you please post of video of yourself doing spins with the Flamberge so we call all see what to do and what not to do?

My Ultra Sabers:
Scorpion (VA)
Crimson Reaper (SY)
Overlord (FO)
Dark Prophecy (SRD)
Prophecy (VA)
Chosen One (BR)
Archon (CG)
Malice (BR)
Graflex CE (GB)
Dark Standard (CG)

Other Force FX lightsabers:
Darth Vader (red)
Anakin Skywalker (blue)
Luke Skywalker (green)

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »

Wow.  What a comprehensive thorough review.  Well deserved point.  Smiley

HispaNerd
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 12

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 07:31:28 PM »

Thank you for providing not only a well-presented and honest review, but one that was highly hilarious too!! I'm crawling up the walls waiting on mine, I don't know how much longer I can last!!  Cry

Sypho Ruut
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 58

Light side.. just

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 07:43:17 PM »

Likewise HispaNerd, I've upgraded mine twice already, it's a wonder US still answer my emails! I wasn't sure initially whether i should go for a recharge port, but if 30 minutes is the runtime, i reckon it's better to have the port and not strain the wires every half hour. Point to Julmax!

Owned;
 Flamberge-BR/emerald/BR-obsidian
 Dark Liberator-GB

Want;
 Mantis in BH
 Archon in AB
 Monarch in SY

julmax
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 75

A Sith... Hear? Bad Sishy, Bad Sithy! ...WOOSH!

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 07:50:57 PM »

Awesome review again Julmax.
It seems like it's definitely important to remember the prototype status of this saber, but even as a prototype it is impressive. Have you done any heavy dueling with it yet, curious how it stood up with that - whether that cross guard is a nice addition in that regard.

Either way, it's awesome to have a prototype of what is probably going to be a very popular saber. Still have a tinge of that jealousy, but I'm happy you got it. Enjoy it.
  Tongue

Sadly, I currently don't have anyone to spar with.  But based on past experience, the Flamberge will make an excellent heavy contact dueling saber.  Though I do have a slight concern regarding cross guard blade retention and would probably shorten them to about 3 inches.  

Whether or not they are effective is a question that comes down to personal fighting style preference.  For example, I simply do not have the physical ability to properly wield my claymore.  However, I am reasonably proficient with katana and regularly practice my kata with one of my iaito blades.  Given that, my currently favored dueling sabers are my V4's with 32 inch heavy grade blades.  A setup that mimics a bokken quite well.  But if you prefer, or would just like to have a saber that represents the European great sword style of combat, then the Flamberge is absolutely ideal.

Wow... I'm at a loss for words.  Great review.

A clarification on runtime...  

I'm not sure if the 30 minutes I'm getting will be representative of what to expect with the production models.  It may very well be just a quirk of this particular prototype.  However, even if that's the case, I would expect this type of setup to have a shorter runtime.  Which is what I was trying to emphasize in the review.  Again, remember that this is a prototype.  

Your mileage may vary... Wink

Julmax, would you please post of video of yourself doing spins with the Flamberge so we call all see what to do and what not to do?

No flipping way!  I don't even like looking at myself in a mirror, much less in a video.  Cry
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:54:44 PM by julmax » Logged

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 10:11:49 PM »

Wonderful as always, Julmax.  Another great look at a new saber!

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 12:25:22 AM »

Hi Julmax, gotta say a huge thank you for your Outstanding Photo's and Excellent review of this prototype.... Luv the detailed pics.... Cheers, and points to you...  Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Kaza yuri
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -39

Shikin Haramitu Daikomyo

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 01:24:03 PM »

Amazing review as always. great pics point to you. I live the malice emitter on that bad boy!

Learning how to love is the goal and the purpose of spiritual life
Not learning to develop psychic powers, to bow, do yoga, chant, or even meditate
But learning how to love. Love is the truth. Love is the light
Wish List - Crimson Scorpion, 2 Dark Arbiters with Menace Emitters, Dark Prophecy
Owned - 19 Sabers and counting, to many to list . . .

Markus
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 38

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 09:37:32 AM »

xD Ok seriously now.
How do you happen to get your hands on the last three prototypes by US in a row, before the official release? Grin
C'mon, there's got to be a secret agreement with them for sure.

Ok seriously now...although it was to be expected with three LED units and probably won't be much different on the actual release, the battery life is what restrains me just a little bit from scarfing up on a full pre-order with all the bells and whistles.
((Black anodized, BR on all blades, RGBA Emerald Driver (to recreate the flicker effect from the trailer), Obsidian USB with non-illuminated AV))

Ok, sure...you can save up on battery life if you briefly turn it on/off, but where'd be the fun in going like *zap zap zap zap* all the time. Cheesy
Am curious how much of a cost factor those extras will be that are currently without surcharge, like e.g. the crossguard blades.

Disregarding all that, a Flamberge would probably be the ideal candidate for a Sith saber...and ultimately my idea to make a Dark-Link/Jedi crossover sometime in the future after I'm done with the regular Link/Jedi. Cheesy
Dammit! If only my expenses weren't that high atm. Cry
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:05:46 AM by Markus » Logged

Catalyst w/sound, RGBA Emerald, silver AV (Always On), w/Kill-Key

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: