Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
Author Topic: The Spin Zone: Tutorials  (Read 114565 times)
DarthVyral
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -23

Sith Lord. Dark Side Points wanted.

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 09:16:40 PM »

Nicely done with with the Jar'Kai segments Darth Cephalus. I do like the spinning. It has given me some inspiration not just in artistry of dual wielding but also in the combat aspect as well.

"The Jedi shall fall. The Republic will crumble. And I shall rule the Sith as the new Emperor of the Galaxy!" - Darth Vyral, Dark Lord of the Sith.

Darth Weinstein
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -124

It's more fun on the dark side!

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 08:36:01 PM »

So glad I found this thread! Thanks for terrific tutorials, Darth Cephalus. I got my first saber in November and I'm excited to develop my skills. I'm making progress by practicing the lessons in your videos.

My sabers: Dominix LE V4 BR, Manticore CE Nickel Plated VA, Grab Bag Aeon V3 CG, Bellicose SRD, Grab Bag Dark Apprentice LE V4 GB, Dark Liberator V3 DVA, Bane BH, Raffle Third Prize Dark Initiate V4 GB.

The only Jewish Sith Lord in the galaxy. I'm as ruthless as the next guy, but I feel guilty about it.

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 05:11:23 AM »

Thank you Vyral and Weinstein. Glad they helped. One of these days I will get around to redoing some of those (particularly the series on flips and rolls) and maybe even finish the last few videos of the Jar'kai series. Having a one year old is taking much of my time lately. Maybe when he is old enough to spin sabers with his dad.

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2016, 07:01:37 PM »

The spinning videos are awesome! Just now starting to get into spinning, but for the life of me I can not get down the Obi-Ani spin

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

DarthVyral
Knight Officer

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »

The spinning videos are awesome! Just now starting to get into spinning, but for the life of me I can not get down the Obi-Ani spin

I am sure you can get it down my Sith brother. Practice makes perfect after all.

"The Jedi shall fall. The Republic will crumble. And I shall rule the Sith as the new Emperor of the Galaxy!" - Darth Vyral, Dark Lord of the Sith.

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »

I am sure you can get it down my Sith brother. Practice makes perfect after all.

I'll look at different videos for a slower and more detailed explanation, cause I'm just not getting it with this tutorial. Not that this tutorial isn't awesome! I'm thinking the saber I'm using is also probably just too long to do it with

DarthVyral
Knight Officer

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2016, 09:24:04 PM »

I'll look at different videos for a slower and more detailed explanation, cause I'm just not getting it with this tutorial. Not that this tutorial isn't awesome! I'm thinking the saber I'm using is also probably just too long to do it with

You could be right on that but could never know for sure until you watch more videos and keep practicing. I know you can do it. Just takes more experience.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 05:50:09 AM »

If mine is not working for you, I suggest also viewing the one from Venturous here
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFEq69Dx_jw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFEq69Dx_jw</a>

Or some of the stuff from TPLA here
(they call it an eclipse orbit)
www.youtube.com/channel/UCN3IsywwpbvOMkkCD2TFMAA
It should not matter how long the saber is as you can do this spin with a staff. Just keep at it and you will pick it up. This spin is the biggest hurdle. It takes time, but once you get it, you will wonder why it ever gave you trouble.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:53:38 AM by Darth Cephalus » Logged

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2016, 07:32:54 PM »

First off wanted to mention i like all the videos Darth Cephalus, nicely done. When i teach students how to get more of a high scoop for single arm spinning i like to start them off with a short staff and have them go through some side to side " Pinky/thumb " U's. Commonly done infront of people as a figure 8. From there we go to the behind the back spin, which is essentially a single arm spin with a transition in the front and in the back. Again very nice sir!

Sam, i think we need just a little more details as for your soreness. If we could see what and how you are doing things tips could be thrown your way. Also, what saber are you working with if one? Weight can be an issue if you are new to spinning/combat spinning. ( yes, there is a difference  Grin )

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 07:10:51 PM »

I think I got the Obi-Ani down, it's just really sloppy. But hopefully with more practice, it'll become more fluid and I can go faster at it. It just feels like my shoulder locks up on the third spin when I'm bringing the saber from my back to across my side

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 01:51:00 AM »

It does start out a bit sloppy. Just remember to throw your shoulder forward and pivot a bit as you pull the saber back to the front.

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 02:20:01 AM »

Will try that, thanks!

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2016, 10:27:35 PM »

I think I got the Obi-Ani down, it's just really sloppy. But hopefully with more practice, it'll become more fluid and I can go faster at it. It just feels like my shoulder locks up on the third spin when I'm bringing the saber from my back to across my side

A common mistake with this move that makes the shoulder hurt is pulling the saber too far out to the front when bringing it back to the front. I see a lot of people do it to try and make sure the blade passes around the hip, but it puts extra strain on the shoulder. The way to avoid doing that is to think about rotating the pommel/blade vertically around the hip instead of rotating it horizontally around the hip. The keeps the saber and the blade closer to the body as it comes back to the front and it also takes the tension off the shoulder.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Dark Jedi

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2016, 05:31:19 PM »

Figured this is where this video belongs. I believe Master Venturous and Darth Cephalus may have covered this but i had some people ask me how i do it. Very basic standard 8 to reverse 8 transition that can build into moving around with the lightsaber. As some of you know, i prefer to change direction with the behind the back spin (blade barrier). Anyway, enjoy.

https://youtu.be/V849nDtODq8

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Dark Jedi

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2016, 08:29:45 PM »

Had some questions about drills. Hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/mureVf2SDuU

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: