Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
Author Topic: The Spin Zone: Tutorials  (Read 113488 times)
Fireborn
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2016, 04:03:54 PM »

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I'm 39 and wanted to try something new in life. Lightsaber spinning? Why the heck not! I found this thread and started practicing with some old pvc pipe. I'm pretty lousy but its fun. I'm excited to say my Ultrasabers stunt sabers arrive tomorrow!

Apprentice V4 Blazing Red (Stunt)
Initiate V4 Violet Amethyst (Stunt)
Prophecy V3 Adegan Silver (Stunt)
Dominix LE V3 Consular Green (Stunt)

Want: Love to try something with sound.

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2016, 12:22:33 AM »

Welcome fireborn. As a late started myself, I can empathize. I found when learning that the best thing was to have a place I could ask questions and get tips to make it past the hurdles. If you have need of such a thing, there are a few of us around who can try to field them. Do not hesitate to ask. Good luck and happy sabering.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 01:24:30 PM »

It can be great exercise as well. More fun than anything. You've definitely come to the right place if you have any questions.

P.s. - still here my friends, lurking In the shadows  Grin

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Fireborn
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »

I have a couple questions guys. I'm currently using two different heavy grade blades (36 and 32 inch). Do most of you practice with heavy or midgrade?  Is it worth purchasing a midgrade or should I stick with the heavy? I am super slow and whenever I try to speed up I darn near knock myself out with the blade. I've whacked myself in the back of the head twice while working on the obi ani.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 09:16:12 PM »

I have a couple questions guys. I'm currently using two different heavy grade blades (36 and 32 inch). Do most of you practice with heavy or midgrade?  Is it worth purchasing a midgrade or should I stick with the heavy? I am super slow and whenever I try to speed up I darn near knock myself out with the blade. I've whacked myself in the back of the head twice while working on the obi ani.
It does make a big difference. I did a video demo a bit over a year ago that shows different blade lengths and grades in action. It is here
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqEi5wDd6OU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqEi5wDd6OU</a>

Mostly you want blades that suit your purpose. If you will be doing flips, you want midgrade blades as it shifts the point of balance into the hilt. If you want speed, work with shorter blades. Less blade equals less drag. Heavy blades are mostly good for dueling unless you prefer wide orbits and don't mind slowing down. I have recently started working with them again because I am trying out some hands free contact work spinning one blade around another and needed the point of balance out on the blade rather than the hilt to do it.
The short answer though is if you are going to spend any time spinning, you should probably have some midgrade blades.

Fireborn
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2016, 09:49:42 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I'll be getting a midgrade blade (or 2) I also enjoyed watching your video. I ended up watching another video right after called "Tiger Echo." Dang, that was sweet!

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2016, 10:31:57 PM »

Thanks. That was an experiment with the echo feature on Aftereffects. I may offer that as an option for contributors to the year end montage this year. For the record, that was a heavy grade blade I was spinning in that video. When I turn with it, you can see the point of rotation is naturally about 3 inches above the hilt and that is only because I use a really heavy pommel. 

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2016, 03:06:25 PM »

these  are great teaching videos.  i cannot wait to get my sabers.  2 Initiates coming--- but i think i will also need a saber with a larger hilt. (hooray) The points you desire are given.    Thank You.

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »

cannot wait to get started. Thanks for these videos.  The points you desire -- given.

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

Stilgar
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

Fedaykin with a Lightsaber

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2016, 11:00:47 AM »

Thank You so much for all the effort to make these tutorials, Lord Cephalus!

This really helps me tremendously in getting a bit of experience and getting more comfortable with my first Lightsaber.
I must admit, the Obi-Ani was tricky - especially with a hilt as long as my Dark Sentinel and my 36" blade, but i'm slowly getting the gist of the movements right.

Now i'm off back to practice my swings and twirls. Let's see when the Plum Blossom will bloom over here.  Wink

Hope everyone has a fantastic Weekend!

Points? Did Muad'Dib need points to defeat the Padisha-Emperor? No!
...Hmm? I have to choose...well....No Grey Points? Seriously? ...
Oh well, Lightside it is.

Vervidian
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 80

"This is madness."

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2016, 09:54:32 PM »

Now that we have a place for spinning, I thought it would be good to get all of the resources in one place. The following tutorial links all deal with saber spinning or flourishes as a non combat art. We see these in the movies used to block blaster fire, but while they can be used in combat or choreography, they present no strategic advantage. These moves are all about the flash.
End note
Hopefully these tutorial resources help. Please feel free to post others you find, ask questions, post your own, make suggestions, etc. Happy sabering.

Hi Darth Cephalus - The thinking Sith's Darth!  (I assume the name is derived from the root word for 'head')

Thanks for the great tutorials, I watched the first and will go back for more when I have time!

Master Vervidian
Jedi Sentinel

Armory:
Emperor's Hand - Diamond RGBA
Catalyst - Diamond RGBW (Mrs. Verv's)
Sentinel LE v4 stunt - Guardian Blue - Mainhand Battle Saber
Sentinel v4 stunt - Consular Green ***raffle prize*** - Offhand Battle Saber
Initiate LE v2 - Guardian Blue (Lil Verv's)
2 stunt sabers as gifts - CG Prophecy, FO Tri-Cree Dominix

I feel the light side calling me!

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2016, 05:47:16 AM »

Hi Darth Cephalus - The thinking Sith's Darth!  (I assume the name is derived from the root word for 'head')

Thanks for the great tutorials, I watched the first and will go back for more when I have time!

Master Vervidian
Jedi Sentinel

Glad you find them of use Vervidian. They are a bit old. Actually, I am working on a project that may have me redoing all of them and adding to them in the not too distant future. As to the name, your reading is correct. It also has the dual purpose of being a reference to a cephalopod in homage to my extreme Lovecraftean leanings.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2017, 04:13:29 AM »

Man it has been a while since I got back on the tutorial train. This one is a sort of palate cleanser to ease me back in. As I was test driving my new crossguard, I got to wondering what could be done with it. After a bit of poking and prodding, I shot a brief video on adapting to it and what moves were easy to do, which were hard, and which were very hard. I even threw in a couple quick ones that really only look good with a crossguard. I did not cover finger rolls. This was an oversight. I can tell you though that they go in the very hard section.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wdzvl5Pkm8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wdzvl5Pkm8</a>

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2017, 04:25:44 AM »

Very nice, I think this might be the first instructional video I have watched from you. Very good.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2017, 04:33:26 AM »

Very nice, I think this might be the first instructional video I have watched from you. Very good.
You can expect several more going forward. I am taking on a primer to Niman as a non-martial flow art.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: