Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down
Author Topic: The Spin Zone: Tutorials  (Read 114392 times)
Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2017, 05:29:56 AM »

Just shot a new version of the first few tutorials. They cover figure 8s, basic strikes, walking, clock face spins, spin strikes, the obi-ani, and the plumb flower. 7 videos in all in the first set. There are still images I want to add to them that I will take tomorrow night. Might not get the first of them edited and uploaded until the weekend. Still back on the horse though. In the meantime, the run down of the behind the back part of the obi-ani is hold the saber tight with your hand to your side and the blade behind your back and pointing left. rotate your hand so that the blade is pointing behind you and your knuckles are on your hip in what I call a peter pan pose. Side your hand towards your navel until it looks like you are punching yourself in the gut. At this point, the blade will be pointing right. Bring your hand up to your face in an arc until the back of your hand is on your forehead. The blade will be pointing left. Bring the blade back down to ready. Get the movement and then loosen your grip a bit. As you loosen your grip, you can move your hand farther from your body.

Darth Skorien
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -9

Peace is a Lie

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2017, 04:09:02 AM »

Just shot a new version of the first few tutorials. They cover figure 8s, basic strikes, walking, clock face spins, spin strikes, the obi-ani, and the plumb flower. 7 videos in all in the first set. There are still images I want to add to them that I will take tomorrow night. Might not get the first of them edited and uploaded until the weekend. Still back on the horse though. In the meantime, the run down of the behind the back part of the obi-ani is hold the saber tight with your hand to your side and the blade behind your back and pointing left. rotate your hand so that the blade is pointing behind you and your knuckles are on your hip in what I call a peter pan pose. Side your hand towards your navel until it looks like you are punching yourself in the gut. At this point, the blade will be pointing right. Bring your hand up to your face in an arc until the back of your hand is on your forehead. The blade will be pointing left. Bring the blade back down to ready. Get the movement and then loosen your grip a bit. As you loosen your grip, you can move your hand farther from your body.

Holy Christ this makes a huge difference. As soon as I read this something clicked and I am able to do it much more fluidly than I was before ( still some difficulty while trying to go faster, but improving slowly ) Thank You Cephalus

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2017, 04:11:30 AM »

This is a quick one I am going to edit and use in another tutorial, but I am putting it out by itself a bit early because there was interest. It is a slow and step by step example of the obi-ani or eclipse spin from the front, the side, and the back. When I put this in the video, I will talk people through it. It should show you though, what I was talking about in my last post.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYQawq4zv0o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYQawq4zv0o</a>

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2017, 03:37:21 AM »

The first few are up ahead of schedule
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY35V3hZP7c" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY35V3hZP7c</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zyaoBfE-pU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zyaoBfE-pU</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOdt9LSRrbM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOdt9LSRrbM</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-myHeYi3-U" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-myHeYi3-U</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNM-n0uS7cA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNM-n0uS7cA</a>

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2017, 04:19:40 AM »

These videos are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2017, 05:10:29 AM »

Then how about one more? Then I will call it for the day
This video deals with one of the harder spins for people to learn: the Obi-Ani spin, which is also called an Eclipse spin or a shoulder roll spin. Following the video, there is a close-up and step by step of the move from the front, side, and back.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7hHBY8AgE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7hHBY8AgE</a>

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2017, 05:26:32 AM »

Then how about one more? Then I will call it for the day
This video deals with one of the harder spins for people to learn: the Obi-Ani spin, which is also called an Eclipse spin or a shoulder roll spin. Following the video, there is a close-up and step by step of the move from the front, side, and back.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7hHBY8AgE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7hHBY8AgE</a>

It doesn't work Cry Cry

I watched all of your other ones, then I saw that you posted this one. But either there is something wrong with my computer, or else there is something wrong with the video. Either way, I cant watch it.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2017, 05:38:35 AM »

It doesn't work Cry Cry

I watched all of your other ones, then I saw that you posted this one. But either there is something wrong with my computer, or else there is something wrong with the video. Either way, I cant watch it.
Video is still processing. My status bar says 3 minutes.
Update: Try it now.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2017, 05:48:41 AM »

Video is still processing. My status bar says 3 minutes.
Update: Try it now.

Yep works now. Thanks. I didn't know that was the Obi-Ani, but that's cool, because I already could do it. I'm not as adept at using my left hand, but I can usually do it okay with my left as well. Thanks for posting it.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2017, 03:30:33 AM »

Next one. This video expands on the Obi-Ani or Eclipse spin from the last part and adds a halo strike to create a finishing move or a change of direction.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VqcznVjROw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VqcznVjROw</a>

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2017, 04:14:42 AM »

This is the final video in the first set. It deals with plum flower or plum blossom spin and covers using the obi-ani to turn around while walking.  The next set will begin with a consolidation of these moves into a routine, a bit of Niman theory, and then move on to other moves.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v56vl_1PkR8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=v56vl_1PkR8</a>

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2017, 04:50:45 AM »

I think I am starting to figure out how to make myself do the Clock Face spin. I'm having trouble when going from 9 to 12, but I think I'm starting to get it.

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2017, 07:23:40 AM »

I will throw this in here in relation to one of the last couple videos Darth Cephalus posted for anyone still having issues learning the Obi-Ani move. This is a trick I discovered to help people learn the feeling of the move and its counterpart, the reverse Obi-Ani and how to get the moves flowing smoothly.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcieFiTd2nk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcieFiTd2nk</a>

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2017, 05:01:01 PM »

Just got through your material Cephalus, looking good. Like the re-vamped work. Point per tutorial....

Good thinking with that tutorial Venturous. Very similar approach to how a MHQ student would learn the blossom's. well earned point.

Out of curiosity, I'm still mastering the QRC but I have 3 techniques down to almost perfection. Anyone interested in a Quick Release Saberstaff tutorial?

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2017, 07:49:32 PM »

Out of curiosity, I'm still mastering the QRC but I have 3 techniques down to almost perfection. Anyone interested in a Quick Release Saberstaff tutorial?

Yeah. I guess I don't have a staff yet, or a QR coupler, but I'd still be interested for when I do get it all.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: