Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down
Author Topic: The Spin Zone: Tutorials  (Read 114539 times)
Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« on: February 20, 2015, 12:45:51 AM »

Now that we have a place for spinning, I thought it would be good to get all of the resources in one place. The following tutorial links all deal with saber spinning or flourishes as a non combat art. We see these in the movies used to block blaster fire, but while they can be used in combat or choreography, they present no strategic advantage. These moves are all about the flash.

The Tutorials
Let me begin with some of what I have put together. Some of the moves in these tutorials will be familiar, others are adapted from other disciplines, and still others are of my own design. As a word of general caution, any move in these tutorials (or indeed in any tutorial or juggling, martial arts, tumbling, etc.) has the potential to result in injury. As others on this forum indicate, start slow. Your muscle memory will pick up the move. If you are not fluid with it, don't try for speed. As a disclaimer, these are my humble attempts. I am a teacher by profession, so I like to think they are well explained, but perfection is neither claimed nor guaranteed.

Single saber work
The following playlist is my tutorial series on single saber. While I may add to it, I consider it fairly complete. It begins with a simple spin, and leads to more advanced moves.

Tutorial series link

Jar'Kai (dual Wield) saber work)
This playlist is my dual wield work (a work still in progress at the time of this post) and is considerably longer than the last. It also begins with the basics but gets much more complex. I do not recommend starting here unless you consider yourself proficient with single saber spinning in both hands.

Tutorial series link

Aerial work (flips and rolls)
This is one of my earliest tutorial series. As such, it contains some overlap and is a bit more rough around the edges. It also contains moves that are potentially more destructive to your saber and environment. Select your practice space accordingly.

Tutorial series link
Further Viewing
Here are some youtube channels belonging to other people that I found particularly useful. I provide them here as a community resource. The owners of these channels may add or clarify as they see fit.

Venturous
Venturous specializes in staff spinning, but he has some very good tutorials on single and double weapon(he also has done some tutorials on nunchucks). These videos definitely helped me over a hump or two. Venturous is also a resident master on this forum so I am sure if you have any questions for him You can post them here and he will see them.

Channel link

Banditcar
One of the earliest tutorial series, he has some good pointers even if the obi/ani instructions are a bit vague.

Channel link

CH3M15T
Mostly demos, CH3M15T is pretty active on this forum if you have questions. He specializes in all things dealing with dual wield and reverse grip spinning.

Channel link

Expert Village Bo Staff
This tutorial does not use a lightsaber, but I have found it is transferable to saberstaff and is well explained.

Tutorial series link

Lordtains
Another bo staff spinner, Lordtains, deals more with finger rolls than any other.

Channel link

Saberproject
Saberproject has been around for a while. Most of what they do seems to be choreography and performances. Recently though, they have released some tutorials on various flips, spins, and combos for different weapons. The design is pretty straightforward with moves shown once from different angles and in slow motion.

Playlist links

End note
Hopefully these tutorial resources help. Please feel free to post others you find, ask questions, post your own, make suggestions, etc. Happy sabering.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:08:27 AM by Darth Cephalus » Logged

Nowhere
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -25

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:06:45 AM »

This is great, thanks!

"You underestimate the power of the Dark Side."

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 01:40:39 AM »

Simply awesome DC.  Sure hope this entices more members to check the tutorials out.  What a great way to learn (for free) from the forum experts and others in the saber community.  Well deserved point awarded.  Cool

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 02:43:05 AM »

I'm really glad this sub-forum was started. It makes it really easy for people to find the non-combative stuff all condensed down into one place.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »

Very cool, I'll definitely be looking into these Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 03:18:50 AM »

I'm really glad this sub-forum was started. It makes it really easy for people to find the non-combative stuff all condensed down into one place.

Exactly what I wanted to say... Dark side points to you Darth Cephalus...

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

DARTH CH3M15T
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -69

Dark Side Points Please

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 02:16:14 AM »

This is epic. I've been inactive since the weather is cold and wet but its starting to brighten up lately. I've been thinking of things to  do and try when i can get out and film.  Invested in some cricket gloves and protective masks to duel with. having a manliest bloke olympics for my 30th birthday. 3rd year running of the games but not always on my birthday. Basicly loads of silly games throughout the day starting with pint downing everytime. games like beerio kart 64, beer pong, jenga, swingball, shooting, and so on.gold silver and bronze medals for each event. This year 16 events. One of them is lightsaber duels and there could be up to 20 of us. so i might get some footage of that. anyways bit of a tangent. Speak to you all soon as i'll make a bit more effort to drop by.

Chemist the Phantom Menace, the kinda Sith that smoke spliffs.
Witnessing my foes getting wiped from existence
Rolling doobs,  grow the finest down in naboo, lyrical kung fu focus attack. just like windu.
I also got a bong in the shape or R2D2 with efficient badass chrome droids rollin in my crew

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 05:38:43 AM »

I do jo staff work and SO much of what I do just transitioned right into this.  I'm ridiculously pleased that all of my crazy staff work (the stuff I don't teach, but do in my backyard when no one is looking) has been some kind of weird prep for saber spins.   I'm so amused.

Thank you for these videos!  I'm going to be outside all night now lol.

Ultoria Kade
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 40

The Saber is a two way street. Make your decision.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 01:17:16 PM »

Utterly awesome! I'm definitely referencing this in the future and a point gladly awarded.

[:] Light Points if your heart desires! [:]

True peace is a balance. There is no darkness without light, no light without darkness. Only once we see the balance is when true peace will prevail.

Have
= Apprentice v4 UE SRD (Stunt)

Ultoria Kade
Knight Ensign

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »

Awesome tutorials! Thank you for all the reccomendations. I've been looking, and have started to practice for..a long time. Master Venterous does awesome spinning videos as well.

True peace is a balance. There is no darkness without light, no light without darkness. Only once we see the balance is when true peace will prevail.

Have

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 06:49:55 PM »

Awesome tutorials! Thank you for all the reccomendations. I've been looking, and have started to practice for..a long time. Master Venterous does awesome spinning videos as well.

Many thanks Smiley

Ultoria Kade
Knight Ensign

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 10:50:44 PM »

Many thanks Smiley

More thanks to you. You've helped me quite a lot with saber spinning, just going through the lessons now.

Have

Qui-Lar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 68

"This weapon is your life!"

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 11:49:28 PM »

Thanks for putting these up

Catalyst(s) DarkArbiter DarkProphecy(s) ChosenOne
CrimsonMantis DarkLiberatorV3 InitiateV3 ShockLE
Guardian SentinelLEV4 Consular DarkInitiateLEV2
InitiateLEV2 Manticore(s) DominixV4 Flamberge(sss)
Bellicose Archon DominixLEV3(s) Monarch InitiateLEV3
SentinelV4 DominixV2RGB Scorpion(s) Menace(sssss)
DarkApprenticeV4 DarkSentinelLEV4 AeonLEV4V

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 05:39:09 AM »

Thanks for putting these up

No problem. Glad they helped and feel free to post other good ones if you find them.

SamVonAwesome
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 04:26:57 AM »

Hey guys, does anyone have any tips to save your wrists from getting sore?

Don't close the blast doors....to your heart

Light side points please Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: