Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 101   Go Down
Author Topic: The Spin Zone: Demos/performances  (Read 470551 times)
Inzane
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 30

Light side points please.

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2015, 02:52:03 AM »

Usually when I do videos with dual wielding, I'm usually using my 24" blades, but when it comes to feel, I prefer 32". The hilts I use are Aeon initiates from Ultrasabers that I got as a Phantasm Initiate staff.

Oops I just realized I confused your videos momentarily with CH3M15T's.    I think it was his videos where I got that sense of different sizes in each hand.  For your videos it was clearer that you were using 24".

Aeon v3 (BR, 32" MG)
Dominix LE v4 w/ sound (SRD w/ AB FoC, 32" UE)
Dark Initiate LE v3 (BR, 24" UE)
Initiate LE v3 (GB, 24" UE)

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2015, 03:09:56 AM »

The answer to that for me is complicated.

Staff: For staff spinning, I use two coupled V3 initiates with 24" blades. They have tennis grip covered over with silicone grip tape on the handles. If I am going to do contact moves though, I replace the 24" blades with 16" blades and add a silicone wrapped yari staff extension to the middle.

Dual wield: I usually use my two initiates with their 24" HG blades (the rest of the blades I use are MG) but I am trying to transition into longer blades as the last video shows. The blades in that were 36" with much longer hilts. The one in my right hand was about 50" long and was my usual one hand saber. My initiates at the moment are sporting one 36" in the right and one 32" in the left. I like the 24" blades for speed, because it makes the flips a lot tighter, and because it spairs my legs while learning new moves. They are not as dramatic on camera though.

Single saber: My single saber is an emerald driver saber with sound. It is an archon v2.1 body, a choke and tapering emitter from another manufacturer, and a dark omen pommel. The saber itself is long (16") and the Omen pomel is there to give the back end weight to move the point of balance to the choke. A lot of the flips and rolls I do with are possible because of this length and weight.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:13:10 AM by Darth Cephalus » Logged

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2015, 05:13:51 AM »

Darth C have I ever seen you're Archon "hybrid" lightsaber in pics? You might have used it one of you're vids but it may not have been recognizable while in motion. I'm always down for some custom lightsaber candy pics. Plus my love for the Archon is partially fuelling this request Cheesy

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Inzane
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2015, 05:21:50 AM »

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Dual wield: I usually use my two initiates with their 24" HG blades

Are you using the heavy grade there specifically to shift the weight balance forward?

Aeon v3 (BR, 32" MG)

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2015, 05:33:55 AM »

That is partly why, also the saber came with them, and it has to do with durability. The initiates are my working sabers and they take a lot of abuse.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2015, 05:36:45 AM »

Darth C have I ever seen you're Archon "hybrid" lightsaber in pics? You might have used it one of you're vids but it may not have been recognizable while in motion. I'm always down for some custom lightsaber candy pics. Plus my love for the Archon is partially fuelling this request Cheesy

One of these days soon I will see what I can do. Watch the gallery thread.

Inzane
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2015, 06:39:03 AM »

You guys are making a strong case for the initiate V3, both for dual wield and staff.   I might just have to go for a pair next time there's a sale.  (I "like" my Aeon v3 but part of me feels it's a bit too long and that I'd be happier with a shorter hilt).

Have any of you skilled spinners tried the newer initiate v4 or apprentice v4, and if so do you have impressions on how they compare to your v3s for spinning?

Aeon v3 (BR, 32" MG)

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2015, 06:44:53 AM »

I've never used the V4s, but they look pretty sweet and I'm sure they would feel comparable to the V3s.

DARTH CH3M15T
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -69

Dark Side Points Please

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2015, 10:45:12 AM »

Gents those are some fantastic videos.  Your spinning skills are amazing.

Can you please share some details on your preferred hilts (incl. detail like non-std pommels or sound and/or lith-ion batteries etc. if applicable) and blade lengths?   I'm curious to hear what you guys find works best in terms of size, weight and balance.  Thanks.

My three hilts are the Aeon RGB, initiate silver, and dark initiate red. I got the Aeon first for the cheapest RGB option but fell in love with its simplistic design due to there being very little to hurt your hands and fingers on when rolling and catching etc. I followed it up with the initiate for several reason. 1 again cost, 2 it was in keeping to a similar style and i was intending on dual wielding, so both sabers would look sort of like a pair. 3 it was smaller so easier to controll for my daughter and for my weaker off hand when wielding 2 blades. Using one long blade and one shorted blade for defence is already a legit dual wielding fighting form.
Then i got the Initiate dark red blade with coupler so i could create a staff.

Now my Aeon RGB my favourite blade is a 36" but i chopped off 2.1/2" so its like 33 1/2" or something random. Best length for me. I have a 40" blade but its hella long. have to be careful not to stab the floor.
sometime i'll drop my blade size down to another 36" blade i chopped to like 33" or 32.5" little bit shorter than my other one to experiment with my optimum length. Most of the time It goes in my initiate with its shorter hilt to be my slightly shorter off hand. Or i'll use the 24" if i want.  i have a few lengths of blades to play around with. I'll either have a slightly longer one in my dominant right hand, or it'll be much longer. Theres always a size difference for me. until i can play with both initiates for the first time when i get it back.

Now for me staff at the moment. i couple two different sized hilts with different sized blades in it. So the balence point is slightly off. i try to even the weight out as much as i can. for me it still feels like theres a definate front or leading blade with the weight and feel of it. but i don't mind this at all. when i get my initiate silver back from the shop with the 24" blade i can try an evenly weighted saber staff. I'm considering maybe taking off a couple of inches of one of my 24" blades. i would love a short saber staff i could spin epicly fast.

Chemist the Phantom Menace, the kinda Sith that smoke spliffs.
Witnessing my foes getting wiped from existence
Rolling doobs,  grow the finest down in naboo, lyrical kung fu focus attack. just like windu.
I also got a bong in the shape or R2D2 with efficient badass chrome droids rollin in my crew

DARTH CH3M15T
Knight Lieutenant

Dark Side Points Please

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2015, 03:40:50 PM »

a nice little practice session here. tying in those two saber one hand aerials. I've Been working on another new move today too Cheesy I shall make a video for it and any others soon.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fee6UcMIqTQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fee6UcMIqTQ</a>

Rolling doobs,  grow the finest down in naboo, lyrical kung fu focus attack. just like windu.
I also got a bong in the shape or R2D2 with efficient badass chrome droids rollin in my crew

Inzane
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2015, 02:21:32 AM »

and for my weaker off hand when wielding 2 blades. Using one long blade and one shorted blade for defence is already a legit dual wielding fighting form.

A-ha.  So I wasn't crazy after all.  I was seeing what I thought I saw in your videos. Grin

I'm not ambidextrous in the slightest so I could see myself really struggling with left hand development and would probably need to stay smaller on that side as well if I were to try dual wield.

Btw are your aeon and initiates v2 or v3?

Aeon v3 (BR, 32" MG)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2015, 02:11:32 PM »

I've never used the V4s, but they look pretty sweet and I'm sure they would feel comparable to the V3s.

The V4s have better styling as far as appearance goes, but the V3s have a more robust overall feel to them. The 3s also, IMO, have better choke points and more secure blade retention.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

DARTH CH3M15T
Knight Lieutenant

Dark Side Points Please

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2015, 04:34:22 PM »

Btw are your aeon and initiates v2 or v3?

My initiates are V2 and the Aeon is the The Aeon.  RGB model.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2015, 02:59:08 AM »

Done and posted here. The Archon is the second one down.
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24259.msg364943

Inzane
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2015, 03:10:46 AM »

After watching a few of your guys' youtube videos I kept wondering to myself why do they keep saying "Obi-Ani"?  What the heck does that mean.   I mean I knew you were referring to a move but why was it called that.

So rather than asking I used search (I know... shocking.  lol) and found this thread:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=3445.msg348968#msg348968  (discussed on page 1784-1785, between Jedi Nox and Venturous)
I won't fight Venturous.  He fixed my Obi-Ani spin.  Dark and Grey can be friends.

(And seriously.  WHO named that technique??)

The first video I watched wasn't one of yours . . . it's was someone else and when he said, "the Obi-Ani," my eyebrow just about went into my hairline. 

It's called that because of the one scene in Revenge of the Sith when Obi-Wan and Anakin both did the move repeatedly.

So naturally, I'm assuming you're referring specifically to this scene:

Aeon v3 (BR, 32" MG)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 101   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: