Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: What form is best for curved hilted lightsaber?  (Read 14110 times)
Darth Kronius
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

« on: February 28, 2015, 03:08:22 AM »

I've been wondering which form is best for curved hilts, and so far I've heard Makashi/Form 2 is the best, but I was thinking that Form 7 Vaapad would be best. Any thoughts?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:58:12 PM »

I've been wondering which form is best for curved hilts, and so far I've heard Makashi/Form 2 is the best, but I was thinking that Form 7 Vaapad would be best. Any thoughts?

None. Curved hilts are a personal preference for those who like a different balance. People associate curved hilts with Makashi because of Dooku. I've used curved hilts for Shii Cho. So it's a matter of your Mileage May Vary

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Darth Kronius
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:57:55 AM »

ok, thanks Smiley

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Connah
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light, Dark, both extremes annoy me

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:41:39 PM »

yeah I associate it with form II as its basically fencing and some modern fencing swords have curved hilts to make thrusts easier and create a more ergonomic (fancy word of the day) grip

"there's no such thing as overkill. It's just making sure"

Dominix V4 VA with sound
Scorpion R+B Emerald with sound

Sypho Ruut
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 58

Light side.. just

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:49:25 PM »

yeah I associate it with form II as its basically fencing and some modern fencing swords have curved hilts to make thrusts easier and create a more ergonomic (fancy word of the day) grip

This is true, but it's worth noting that modern fencing weapons are considerably changed versions of something called a gymnasium sword. Gymnasium swords were practice weapons for training to use the real thing in combat, especially in the case of sabre. For these purposes, "sabre" will refer to the steel, and "saber" to the product of ultrasabers.

A curved hilt, when gripped by the curved portion itself, allows the hand to sit more naturally in a position rather like that of an early pistol; a relaxed trigger grip. This, grip means a swordsman has the ability to more easily control the point of the sword by pushing or pulling with the index finger, and doing the opposite with the thumb, which lies atop the hilt parallel to the blade (think of a thumbs-up). In modern fencing, the blades are extremely light, with an entire sword coming in on average at around 500 grams, or a little over a pound. This means that point control is preferable, and thus only one of the three sport fencing disciplines allows cuts as well as thrusts.

With a heavier blade, such as on an infantry or cavalry sabre, this 'trigger grip' allows precise edge alignment to come a little more naturally while making the rather circular and riposte-friendly motions of historical sabre fencing.

Therefore, I would venture that a saber with a curved hilt with a midgrade blade or standard ultraedge would be best suited to makashi, form two. However, with a heavier blade, and momentum on your side, it would lend itself well to a one-handed variant of Djem-so, the melee side of form five.

Happy sabering!

Owned;
 Flamberge-BR/emerald/BR-obsidian
 Dark Liberator-GB

Want;
 Mantis in BH
 Archon in AB
 Monarch in SY

Ultoria Kade
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 40

The Saber is a two way street. Make your decision.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 01:59:53 AM »

None. Curved hilts are a personal preference for those who like a different balance. People associate curved hilts with Makashi because of Dooku. I've used curved hilts for Shii Cho. So it's a matter of your Mileage May Vary

I would one hundred percent agree with Master Uilos. You're going to find that once you get used to your curved hilt, (if you haven't already) you'll find a style that will comply with it. Of course, this is from what I've heard about curved hilts and combat.

[:] Light Points if your heart desires! [:]

True peace is a balance. There is no darkness without light, no light without darkness. Only once we see the balance is when true peace will prevail.

Have
= Apprentice v4 UE SRD (Stunt)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 01:36:37 AM »

As usual, we're on the same page.  The curved hilt and Makashi association comes from Dooku, who doesn't even use anything that resembles fencing.  I understand the general idea of curvature, many fencers like their tangs bent (which causes the handle to be slightly bent).  That said, it doesn't give any major advantage, even in fencing it's just a preference.

Nothing against curved hilts of course, they're quite neat to wield!  It just isn't the "ultimate Makashi hilt" that people think it is.

Packer221
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »

Yup, form two is the best for curved hilts. Dooku uses it, but you don't have to use a curved for form two.

gebhac
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 18

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:24:48 PM »

Yup, form two is the best for curved hilts. Dooku uses it, but you don't have to use a curved for form two.

I don't know if I agree that Form 2 is the best for curved hilts..  I've recently watched both Episodes II and III.  Dooku only holds the hilt by or below the curve with his left hand while holding the hilt just below the emitter but above the curve with his right hand, which I am going to assume is his dominant hand.  There are several promo shots of Dooku holding the hilt at the curve but I haven't seen a whole of that in the films' duel sequences.  In regards to the slight curve that's just below the emitter, I can only assume that it is an aesthetic choice as well as small amount of  comfort.

I think that Dooku, like most Jedi and Sith, chose a Form that best suited his personality, philosophical outlook, and combat style and then, over the course of the years, added bits and pieces of the other Forms to make up for his own deficiencies in his chosen Form.

Like Master Nero said,
"The curved hilt and Makashi association comes from Dooku, who doesn't even use anything that resembles fencing..."

And from everything that I have read about Makashi, stemming from multiple sources such as the Wookiepedia and the extremely knowledgeable Martial Artists found here on Saberforum, my thoughts of Makashi is that the main goal is controlling the opponent, which Dooku does very well without looking like the stereotypical fencer. 

So my thoughts on best Form for the curved hilt.. use for whatever Form you like, I'm sure you'll figure a way to use it well.

Zee
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 03:49:36 AM »

Hello! Gee, it's been a while since I've been here... How about form III? With all the spins involved for defense the style could be similar to Chinese dao work which has a similarly curved hilt. Just a thought. That was actually my first thought when I first saw Dooku's saber, at least.

Sapherno11
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -4

Don't worry, I'm still a Sith

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »

My personal opinion, is that you can train yourself to do ANYTHING.

A curved hilt can be used with ANY style, provided you train yourself to do so. Typically, like others have said, Dooku is the one that iconazided the Curved saber for Makashi, just bear in mind, Dooku didn't use Makashi exclusively. Actually, according to one of the star wars books in the EU (Dark Labrynth or somethingl ike that) Its said Dooku can use ALL lightsaber styles effectively, though he greatly prefered Makashi.

Personally, I hate using a curved saber. Because of the way that I duel, I don't like how the "curve" shifts in my hand, I prefer a straight hilt.

So realistically, Id say there's NO style that's best for a curved hilt. Just use a curved hilt, and practice, It'll work if you put a lot of practice into it!

All things are brought into ruin.
The Living will faill.
Seas will dry.
Planets will fall.
Sith will break.
Jedi will fail.
Stars will darken.
All things come unto ruin.
I am Darth Ruin.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 03:47:21 AM »

Curved hilts are neat, but I think they're more limiting than anything.  Sure they give you a pretty ergonomic grip, but the curvature makes two handed use quite awkward.  Putting your hands out of line greatly decreases your ability to apply leverage on the weapon.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 09:05:31 PM »

Curved hilts are neat, but I think they're more limiting than anything.  Sure they give you a pretty ergonomic grip, but the curvature makes two handed use quite awkward.  Putting your hands out of line greatly decreases your ability to apply leverage on the weapon.

It is actually more less awkward than you think. The only down side to the curve would be a loss of leverage with two hands. But then again, if you favor Makashi, then you naturally wouldn't rely on brute strength, and would try to avoid situations requiring excessive leveraging.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

blader100
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 07:12:48 PM »

I have to say form II AKA Makashi because in the star wars movies Count Dooku had a curved hilt saber and he mastered in form II but that's just me you can use whatever you feel is best

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »

It is actually more less awkward than you think. The only down side to the curve would be a loss of leverage with two hands. But then again, if you favor Makashi, then you naturally wouldn't rely on brute strength, and would try to avoid situations requiring excessive leveraging.

Using two hands isn't just adding power, it adds control as well.  "Brute force" hardly applies to a skilled use of two hands - Master Artorius typically uses two hands and I would classify his style as "lightning speed" and efficiency over brute force.

I just don't find curved hilts to have as many advantages as most think, which is why I tend to find them overrated.  I'll keep an open mind though, in the event that I get one in my collection in the future.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: