Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian V3 vs V4  (Read 13511 times)
Darth Milakos
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

« on: March 18, 2015, 09:55:22 PM »

What is the difference between the V3 and V4 soundboards? I'm thinking of getting a new saber in the coming month and want the best of the best.

Darth Calico
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -51

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:03:28 PM »

I did a review of the v4 Obsidian under the review topics - "Initiate v4 with v4 Obsidian "

The v4 is the best - has multiple sound fonts, better sound, and an improved launcher. Go with the v4!

Sypho Ruut
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 58

Light side.. just

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:05:28 PM »

The difference is probably better illustrated by listing the limitations of the v3 rather than the benefits of the v4, so here you are;

the v3 can only hold one sound font at a time, forcing you to connect your saber by wire to a computer in order to change the set of sounds you wish to use.

The v3 has less memory; with the v4, even if you only have one font, it can be considerably larger.

The v3 has a less potent processor; it will take longer to write new sounds and settings.

The v3 can only accept a specific sound file format, .lsu. The v4 can take this format as well as .wav. In other words, the v4 is backwards compatible as well as more advanced.

the advantages to the v3 however are that it is likely to be cheaper once the v4 is on full release, and there's already a wealth of support on this forum for it and its software, whereas the v4 is still a relatively unknown quantity.

Furthermore, the emerald driver is not currently accessible through the v4 launcher; this is a software issue, not hardware, it just means that you'll have to use the older launcher for your LED driver regardless of which soundboard you have installed.

Owned;
 Flamberge-BR/emerald/BR-obsidian
 Dark Liberator-GB

Want;
 Mantis in BH
 Archon in AB
 Monarch in SY

Darth Milakos
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:08:33 PM »

Darth Calico Thank you for the information I'll be sure to get the V4. That is if they have one for me.

Sypho Ruut That was exactly what I needed to know thank you.

Silvanus
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »

In addition to the great comparison offered by Sypho I offer this.

I have a v3 in my Saber and just ordered one for my wife who got a v4.  She is completely unfamiliar with the soundboards in specific and the operations of Ultrasabers in general.  That being said she figured out easily and readily how to change the sound fonts on the v4 to what she wants and was very happy with it.  So I gotta say the v4 is a great upgrade.

Archon v2.1 w/Sound : Consular Green
Initiate: Blue
Apprentice v4: Sun Riders Destiny
Apprentice v4 w/Sound: Sun Riders Destiny

seiji
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 2

Gray Jedi. No light or dark side points needed!

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 03:06:18 AM »

Adding on the other saber forum members comment, for the v4 soundboard. There is the last soundfont which you might like to use, especially at conventions or publuc events where you might go with your saber if you dont want it to make so much noise. The "silent" or "muted" font. It lets you do all the things you do with your saber; swing, clash, pierce or spinning, without the sound!

Using a v3 soundboard, you need access to a computer to lower the volume if you are at conventions and such where you might not need the sound. But with a v4, at a push of a few buttons, instant muted saber!

Hope my opinion helps on the decision!

Sabers gotten:
Aeon Le v3 (AB) Obsd
Dark prophecy v3 (SRD) stunt
Dominix v3 (BR) obsd
Initiate Le v3 (GB) stunt
Dark initiate v3 (CG) stunt
Flamberge (AS clr disc) obsd
Archon v2.1 (CG) obsd - out for repairs
Dark sentinel v4 (BR) obsd
The Aeon (BR) stunt
Aeon LE v3 (VA) stunt
Dominix LE v3 (CG) stunt
Guardian (Emerald) obsd

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »

V3 has a 7 pin connector. Does the v4 have one as well? And would I be able to switch it out a v3 with a v4 with relative ease?

The Sith send their regards

DarthDradeus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -64

With a title like Darth....dark side points please

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »

I cannot understate that v4 is the way to go. It is only ten dollars extra and offers all of the benefits that everyone has mentioned so far.

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 07:51:32 PM »

I agree. It's just that my v3 USB port broke and lost some pins so it's font is unchangeable atm. If I could simply remove the v3 and replace it with a v4 card I would order a v4 card in a heartbeat

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 02:39:30 AM »

V3 has a 7 pin connector. Does the v4 have one as well? And would I be able to switch it out a v3 with a v4 with relative ease?

I believe so . . . I don't have them both in front of me right now, but I can double check later . . . You could send an email to emory and ask as I'm not sure if US sell the board with the wiring connectors or not, the v3 & v4 boards I have, have all come out of sabers and have some hot glue (i believe) keeping the wire connectors fixed to the board . . . if US sell a replacement board like that, you might have to re-solder the wiring . . . Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 07:44:38 AM »

Thanks. I emailed them earlier today. It'd be great to hear back from you (:

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »

Yep, the v4 board looks to have the same connector as the v3... Let us know what you hear back from Emory, it may help someone else one day... Cheers  Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »

Would you mind swapping the v4 with the v3 and see if they work?

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 10:57:04 PM »

I can now confirm that you can do a 1 for 1 swap when it comes to sound cards from V3 to V4

ArsenialScorpine
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 09:33:05 PM »

Hello there, all! So I'm a guy that doesn't mind having to jump on the computer to change my class of sound. I'm not really looking to have the ability to toggle between sound fonts. I do like the option of possibly changing sound fonts eventually though. That being said, given that speed of sound font transition isn't important to me is the Obsidian V4 sound track just extra? Or is there something else limiting about the V3 that would make the V4 a "must." Again, I like the idea of changing the sound class but I'm more interested in having sound along with action sounds (clash, block, lockup) and the ability to edit lighting effects that go along with sounds. Any advice?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: