Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian V3 vs V4  (Read 13497 times)
DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 09:48:22 PM »

Hello there, all! So I'm a guy that doesn't mind having to jump on the computer to change my class of sound. I'm not really looking to have the ability to toggle between sound fonts. I do like the option of possibly changing sound fonts eventually though. That being said, given that speed of sound font transition isn't important to me is the Obsidian V4 sound track just extra? Or is there something else limiting about the V3 that would make the V4 a "must." Again, I like the idea of changing the sound class but I'm more interested in having sound along with action sounds (clash, block, lockup) and the ability to edit lighting effects that go along with sounds. Any advice?
I know the v4 has a mute option. Unsure about v3.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 10:56:26 PM »

Hello there, all! So I'm a guy that doesn't mind having to jump on the computer to change my class of sound. I'm not really looking to have the ability to toggle between sound fonts. I do like the option of possibly changing sound fonts eventually though. That being said, given that speed of sound font transition isn't important to me is the Obsidian V4 sound track just extra? Or is there something else limiting about the V3 that would make the V4 a "must." Again, I like the idea of changing the sound class but I'm more interested in having sound along with action sounds (clash, block, lockup) and the ability to edit lighting effects that go along with sounds. Any advice?

Look at the price difference, which is $10.  Look at the performance difference.  In addition to everything that was listed as a limitation of the V3 above {consolidating others' comments here, with liberal use of copy/paste (and some paraprhasing) from Sypho Ruutm, Silvanus, and seiji}:
  • The v3 can only hold one sound font at a time, forcing you to connect your saber by wire to a computer in order to change the set of sounds you wish to use.
  • The v3 has less memory; with the v4, even if you only have one font, it can be considerably larger.
  • The v3 has a less potent processor; it will take longer to write new sounds and settings.
  • The v3 can only accept a specific sound file format, .lsu. The v4 can take this format as well as .wav. In other words, the v4 is backwards compatible as well as more advanced.
  • The controller interface on the v4 is easy to learn and use.
  • The v3 does NOT have a "MUTE" font available at a moment's notice, and that is far more handy than you might first believe.  The v4 has a MUTE font pre-loaded, and it is incredibly easy to access with a few button presses, once you know the secret handshake (which is described in the manual), with no computer connection required.  It's just as easy to UNMUTE the saber, too.

...we have this final limitation, which is that the v3 software (and therefore the soundboard) does not work with MacOS.  The v4 (and Diamond, and Emerald) software will work with both Windows and MacOS, so if that is a consideration for you (like it is for me), then the v4 is the only real choice.  This is why I will only get a v4 board (or above), since I have no personally-owned Windows machines.  (Installing personal software on my work machines is not an option, and I see NO value in buying a cheap Windows machine just to run the v3 software.)

For the $10 price difference between a v3 sound board and a v4 sound board... there is no reason whatsoever for me to choose the v3 sound board, even if I had a Windows computer.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2021, 08:14:15 PM »

Look at the price difference, which is $10.  Look at the performance difference.  In addition to everything that was listed as a limitation of the V3 above {consolidating others' comments here, with liberal use of copy/paste (and some paraprhasing) from Sypho Ruutm, Silvanus, and seiji}:
  • The v3 can only hold one sound font at a time, forcing you to connect your saber by wire to a computer in order to change the set of sounds you wish to use.
  • The v3 has less memory; with the v4, even if you only have one font, it can be considerably larger.
  • The v3 has a less potent processor; it will take longer to write new sounds and settings.
  • The v3 can only accept a specific sound file format, .lsu. The v4 can take this format as well as .wav. In other words, the v4 is backwards compatible as well as more advanced.
  • The controller interface on the v4 is easy to learn and use.
  • The v3 does NOT have a "MUTE" font available at a moment's notice, and that is far more handy than you might first believe.  The v4 has a MUTE font pre-loaded, and it is incredibly easy to access with a few button presses, once you know the secret handshake (which is described in the manual), with no computer connection required.  It's just as easy to UNMUTE the saber, too.

...we have this final limitation, which is that the v3 software (and therefore the soundboard) does not work with MacOS.  The v4 (and Diamond, and Emerald) software will work with both Windows and MacOS, so if that is a consideration for you (like it is for me), then the v4 is the only real choice.  This is why I will only get a v4 board (or above), since I have no personally-owned Windows machines.  (Installing personal software on my work machines is not an option, and I see NO value in buying a cheap Windows machine just to run the v3 software.)

For the $10 price difference between a v3 sound board and a v4 sound board... there is no reason whatsoever for me to choose the v3 sound board, even if I had a Windows computer.
well then...death to all v3s!!??
Smiley great review!  i can not attest to accuracy of the statements but you have me convinced.  iou 1 point.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 04:08:44 PM »

nunya,

I see no need for the v3, but I suppose that in some cases, it might make sense.  If you have no need for the extra functionality, and if the $10 price difference is meaningful, then sure.  For instance, if you’re buying a bunch of them (for use in a theater production, perhaps), the $10 difference can add up.  Also, US might have boatloads of them in stock already, and they plan to sell them until they’re gone (but that doesn’t explain the v3 version of the UltraPixel card…).

Obviously, I’m reaching here, so I’ll stop babbling.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 07:22:19 PM »

For instance, if you’re buying a bunch of them (for use in a theater production, perhaps), the $10 difference can add up. 
for sure - bulk could be an issue but then i would be calling the company for some kind of PO discount in this case.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 08:29:28 PM »

nunya,

I see no need for the v3, but I suppose that in some cases, it might make sense.  If you have no need for the extra functionality, and if the $10 price difference is meaningful, then sure.  For instance, if you’re buying a bunch of them (for use in a theater production, perhaps), the $10 difference can add up.  Also, US might have boatloads of them in stock already, and they plan to sell them until they’re gone (but that doesn’t explain the v3 version of the UltraPixel card…).

Obviously, I’m reaching here, so I’ll stop babbling.
A thought on the theater scenario:

odds are good, even v4 sound isn't loud enough and I'd want to handle FX in the control booth instead. Perhaps with a mic and 2 performers mimicking the swings on stage like foley artists.

so I probably would order stunt sabers for the stage.  The same would go for a "flow" performance with 10 dancers. Keeps cost down and the noise down.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2021, 12:49:53 AM »

odds are good, even v4 sound isn't loud enough and I'd want to handle FX in the control booth instead. Perhaps with a mic and 2 performers mimicking the swings on stage like foley artists.
so I probably would order stunt sabers for the stage.  The same would go for a "flow" performance with 10 dancers. Keeps cost down and the noise down.

Hi there, also (depending on how many sabers you need audio for) you could look at getting Wireless Lavalier (tie pin clip) microphones and have the mics clipped to the cuuf/sleeve of your actors and run the wire up the sleeve to a beltpack transmitter. The price of these wireless systems has come down quite a bit from when I was in the theatre.
And to cut out extraneous noises when the sabers/mics aren't used you can always mute them on the receiver or on the mixing desk.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2021, 07:41:03 PM »

Hi there, also (depending on how many sabers you need audio for) you could look at getting Wireless Lavalier (tie pin clip) microphones and have the mics clipped to the cuuf/sleeve of your actors and run the wire up the sleeve to a beltpack transmitter. The price of these wireless systems has come down quite a bit from when I was in the theatre.
And to cut out extraneous noises when the sabers/mics aren't used you can always mute them on the receiver or on the mixing desk.

Excellent and valid points on both - and point to you each as well Smiley
continuing the journey away from the main topic and on the new one...
i have a video of me using a lightsaber with hum and blaster sounds where i did not mic-up or add sounds in post-production - it came off great!  Lower in volume but it gave the 'caught on camera' feel that i was targeting and had natural layering of sounds.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2021, 08:44:09 PM »

Excellent and valid points on both - and point to you each as well Smiley
continuing the journey away from the main topic and on the new one...
i have a video of me using a lightsaber with hum and blaster sounds where i did not mic-up or add sounds in post-production - it came off great!  Lower in volume but it gave the 'caught on camera' feel that i was targeting and had natural layering of sounds.

Well, I am old and been around a while and way back in 2016 there was a very well known gentleman that designed a bespoke sound system just for this Theatrical Amplification purpose. It involved adding a module and app onto his soundboards that could wirelessly link to a pair of 3Watt speakers (1 bass and 1 Tweeter). The advanced system I believe could support up to 8 sabers and when used with a PC you could feed the audio into the main PA of a theatre.

Sadly I never saw or heard of this system being used but it seemed neat from the details I read (I studied Theatrical Stage Production and Music Technology before going semi pro as a keyboard player).

Unfortunately, the gentleman was forced out of the hobby full time due to ill health but he still frequents some of the forums/message boards giving help advice regarding his products.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: