Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Prophecy Adegan Silver Review + Lee Filters!  (Read 30024 times)
RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« on: August 13, 2011, 10:05:12 PM »

I recently (last month actually) got myself a Prophecy in Adegan Silver. This is my review of my new toy, including Lee Filters! The whole reason I got this saber was to replace my broken Dominix V1 (actually half of a phantom initiate V1), and this beast surpasses it in every category! I also lucked out with reward points and the sale so I was able to get it for almost 50% off! I love this thing!

The Hilt:

To put it simply: this thing is awesome. Not only is it gorgeous, but it’s durable also. The grip is extremely comfortable and the balance is great (right above the smaller brass screw cover with a 32” mid grade.) The brass screw covers are a really nice touch, although the fact that only one of them actually retains the blade can be confusing. For a while I was tightening both screws (with two different hex wrenches) until I saw the recent video on YouTube that explains how to remove blades. Apparently the smaller screw is only for decoration. Usually this would upset me because practicality is my number one priority, but I actually do like the look of it, even though I wouldn’t care if I lost it. The Covertec knob is, to be frank, annoying. I see how it can be cool to wear your saber on your belt, but the knob makes the bottom grip especially uncomfortable. I removed mine as soon as I could (although I put it back on for the pictures)! Another complaint I have concerns the emitter shroud: it’s pretty sharp! I would be careful with it! One thing I love about this hilt though is how solid it feels. The battery pack doesn’t rattle around which is a huge relief! I’ve been stuffing electrical tape in my other sabers to keep it in place! Overall, this is an incredible hilt with a few minor complaints. But then again, nothing is completely perfect!

Oh, and I especially love the accent holes on the hilt!

Color/Brightness:
I chose Adegan Silver as my color. It seems to be an underrated color though… I don’t understand why! It’s incredibly unique and you also get to change the color with filters! This is a much cheaper option than Quick Disconnects or RGB (although those do seem frickin’ sweet)! The discs that come with the saber aren’t great, but if you get some Lee Filters you’ll have a wide range of incredible colors! Except for red though, that’s the only color you can’t get. The only other weakness with filters though is brightness. With most the saber is still very bright, but with darker colors it becomes dimmer. This doesn’t bother me personally, but it might bother others. Speaking of brightness, this thing could blind a small chipmunk or rodent! In other words, it’s pretty freaking bright.

Combat:
This saber is very versatile when it comes to combat, although it is better for some forms than others. The forms I would say that it is best for are Shii-Cho, Ataru, and Djem So. Forms like Makashi and Soresu may suffer though. The hilt doesn’t feel very comfortable to me with one hand, and holding it in a reverse grip is… weird. It can be done, but it’s just, well, weird. It doesn’t handle Soresu very well though because you have to be able to maneuver the saber quickly to block attacks but in some positions, such as blocking strikes aimed at the legs, it can feel very awkward. It’s not the fastest saber, but it is durable and it will definitely not fly out of your hands! Also, this saber is very good for spinning due to the grip towards the emitter.

Filters:
This has become an unpopular color-changing method to use recently, but it is the cheapest way! Make sure you use Lee Filters though, as they have the best color quality and brightness. I got my swatch book for 5 dollars somewhere online, but I’ve heard that you can get them for free. The annoying thing about these filters though is that you have to cut them yourself and getting the right size and shape can be difficult. This is how I cut them:

Now on to the filter pictures! These are all done in a dark room (with trace amounts of light) with a 32” mid grade blade. When using filters make sure you use a standard edge blade! The UltraEdge tends to wash the colors out. These are all using Lee Filters with a mid grade standard edge blade.

No filters.

I can't remember what this one is called but it's a light blue filter that makes the color more silver-y.

Oklahoma Yellow - A very bright and vibrant yellow!

Deep Straw - A more golden yellow, almost amber.

Deep Golden Amber - A very nice orange.

I think this one is called Jade, but I'm not sure. It's still a nice green.

I think this is Forest Green. It's not as bright as the others, but I like it.

Peacock Blue - A stunning cyan!

Medium Blue-Green - This is pretty much self-explanatory. It's actually more green in real life (stupid camera.) It is a nice color though!

Bright Blue - The best blue filter for a Guardian!

I don't remember what this one is called because my sister picked it out lol. It's pink!

Magic Magenta - This makes a violet worthy of Master Windu.

Conclusion:
This saber is wonderful. It’s not my favorite out of my collection, but it is in a close second. Now for the pros and cons!

Pros: Durable
Solid
SHINY
Excellent Craftsmanship
Great Grip
Great Balance
Bright
Good Price (better when on sale  Wink)

Cons: Sharp Emitter
Covertec Knob

For those of you who like number ratings, I give this a 9/10. Nothing is perfect, but this saber comes close!

And finally, a picture with the rest of my collection:

Note: The green sabers are both using an UltraEdge blade

Thanks for reading!

Danakar Endeel
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 23

It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:18:51 PM »

Great review, especially the parts regarding the Lee filters and the different forms that might and might not work with this saber!!

But you said that you get some basic color discs with the Adegan saber? Could you make a picture of those as I can't recall anyone ever showing those. So I thought you just got the Adegan Silver color and had to get discs elsewhere  Tongue

Anyways, great pictures too. The color filters look great and seem to offer a ton of variety. So while Adegan Silver may be the most underrated of the color choice, it sure seems to be the best on if you truly wish to create a unique saber!! Grin

█||||||||(•)█╣█████████████████████████████████)
Don't have an Ultra Saber to list yet Sad

Sephradragon
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 7

I bear 2 sabers.They are part of Being.we are one

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:23:24 PM »

Yeah Great review. Thanks for the info on the filters. Great way to personalize your saber.

I am getting a Adegan silver saber so thanks for the pictures! It looks cool! Cool

arsenal~
Bane~ RGB (nymphadora)
nemesis(pvc)- GB (gadget)
catalyst-AV (spirit)
dark catalyst-AS (soul)
Whether dual wielded or attached into the staff "Being" these 2 sabers are connected through the living force and can not be separated. For they seek each other out.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »

Danakar Endeel: The saber does come with discs supplied by US, but they're not that great. I will upload pictures for you though just as soon as my sister comes back from a party (she took the camera.) And yes it is the best color for personalizing your saber, especially when Lee filters are involved! There's a huge variety of colors to choose from! Just make sure you choose a good filter because some of them are kind of bland and dim. The specific ones I mentioned in the review are the best that I have found through research and experimentation.

Sephradragon: Great choice! Make sure you get Lee filters though!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:30:48 PM by RLYHYPERGUY » Logged

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:55:14 AM »

Nice review, I like that you added the filters in. I think that's the way you go if you want to play around and find a unique color.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:57:02 AM »

As requested by Danakar Endeel I am now posting pictures of the discs that US supplies with Adegan Silver sabers. The blades are mid grade standard edge.
Warning: These are not very high quality filters and also look slightly different on my camera. I'll note where.

Here are the discs:

Starting from the top right going counter-clockwise: Green, yellow, blue-green, blue, light blue, magenta, orange, amber, violet, red, pink, purple.

Green

This is pretty accurate.

Yellow

It looks worse in person lol.

Blue-Green

Pretty accurate.

Blue

This is also pretty accurate.

Light Blue

This is accurate! It actually has a similar effect to the light blue Lee filter. They both make the color more silver-y! I haven't decided which one I prefer though, which is actually quite surprising. So if you want a true silver saber then just order the color and pop the included light blue disc in! Get Lee filters also though if you want to fully enjoy the wonders of Adegan Silver.

Magenta

Again, pretty accurate.

Purple

It's kind of ironic that the darkest disc becomes one of the lightest colors... on camera and in person.

Pink

Accurate. Yes, it is a salmon pink in person.

Red

This photo is NOT accurate. It's much pinker in person. Kind of like the magenta picture, just a bit darker.

Violet

Accurate.

Amber

I have NO idea what happened with this picture! In person it's kind of like the yellow disc, just a tad darker.

Orange

This one is the second best other than the light blue one. It makes a nice orange.  Smiley

That's it for the discs that US supplies! These pictures can be deceiving, so I would highly recommend getting Lee filters! An interesting thing about the discs though is that you can mix them to get other colors, although the brightness will suffer. Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 03:02:50 AM by RLYHYPERGUY » Logged

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 03:03:08 AM »

Pretty awesome!  I love that you showed off the color of the blade by itself AND with each different colored filter - very informative, thanks for that!  I think silver is a VERY underrated saber color, it's an incredibly cool color that has TONS of customization options and has in fact been wielded by some very cool Jedi (Corran Horn anyone?).

Your review was very informative, but I was kind of surprised you found it awkward to wield one handed.  My friend and I both found the Prophecy to be a fantastic single handed saber, both because of the short length and the covertech knob (though it can be taken off).  For this reason, I had sort of pegged it as a good Makashi or Soresu saber, and quite useful for Shien as well.  This is a simple difference in opinion however, it's completely based on the size of your hands as well as what kind of grip you like to have with your saber - we prefer a longer saber for two handed wielding, gives more cutting power.

All this aside, great review of a great saber.  Enjoy your new weapon!

Danakar Endeel
Knight Officer

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 03:04:40 AM »

As requested by Danakar Endeel I am now posting pictures of the discs that US supplies with Adegan Silver sabers. The blades are mid grade standard edge.
Warning: These are not very high quality filters and also look slightly different on my camera. I'll note where.

That's it for the discs that US supplies! These pictures can be deceiving, so I would highly recommend getting Lee filters! An interesting thing about the discs though is that you can mix them to get other colors, although the brightness will suffer. Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to show the original supplied discs; and also for taking the time to show each and every color (and even describe them on accuracy)! I really appreciate it  Cheesy

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 03:06:35 AM »

Pretty awesome!  I love that you showed off the color of the blade by itself AND with each different colored filter - very informative, thanks for that!  I think silver is a VERY underrated saber color, it's an incredibly cool color that has TONS of customization options and has in fact been wielded by some very cool Jedi (Corran Horn anyone?).

Your review was very informative, but I was kind of surprised you found it awkward to wield one handed.  My friend and I both found the Prophecy to be a fantastic single handed saber, both because of the short length and the covertech knob (though it can be taken off).  For this reason, I had sort of pegged it as a good Makashi or Soresu saber, and quite useful for Shien as well.  This is a simple difference in opinion however, it's completely based on the size of your hands as well as what kind of grip you like to have with your saber - we prefer a longer saber for two handed wielding, gives more cutting power.

All this aside, great review of a great saber.  Enjoy your new weapon!

Yes silver desperately needs the recognition it deserves! Don't forget the Imperial Knights either!

And on the one-handed thing, my hands are kind of small so it is awkward for me. Although I also own a Liberator which is AMAZING for one-handed usage! I've owned the Liberator longer so I guess I'm just more used to that. I love my Liberator. I might even do a review of it showing the color-changing abilities of Violet Amethyst!

@Danakar Endeel: No problem! I love reviewing things so it was an enjoyable experience for me. Glad it was useful!  Smiley

Danakar Endeel
Knight Officer

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 03:19:49 AM »

Definitely useful indeed!! When I ever get enough funds together to get my first saber, I'm definitely going to look at the Adegan Silver (+Midgrade non-UltraEdge blade) with new respect. I also found out that those little LEE filter booklets are available in my country too!  Grin

So thanks again for the very detailed review. You more than earned some Light Side points from me Wink

Daniel Anteron
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 160

No one makes a victim of those I care about.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 07:05:56 AM »

Thanks for this review. I'm planning on getting my next saber in silver, and the idea of getting those lee filter's sounds pretty cool. Smiley

Kalibos
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 62

One Jedi One Destiny (Ultra Wing Warlord)

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »

thank you RLYHYPERGUY for such an in depth review, I have just won off ebay a standard issue battlestaff with adgean silver blades (not arrived yet) so your review was very helpful.

War Glaive AB, Custom Prophecy RGB, Custom Dark Prophecy RGB, Initiate LE AB, Custom Omen Red
Dark Standard Issue x2 Red, Standard Issue x2 White blades with filters.

Sandtracker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »

Great review!

Darth Vehement
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 06:19:09 PM »

awesome review! i might have to get us some of those

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander