Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Contact staff  (Read 16011 times)
Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« on: March 25, 2015, 12:44:50 AM »

Obviously this is not a lightsaber, but I thought I would post it as it demonstrates some of what I am working on with my saberstaff. My sister-in-law left her contact fire staff when she last visited. Rather than let it sit in the corner, I did this. I am as yet not very good with these things but I think I managed it passably, though I have to say I would not try half of these things if the ends were ignited.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrqmH3hwHRg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrqmH3hwHRg</a>

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 03:33:00 AM »

Hello all. It has been a while since my last video. It is harder to get time when you have a 7 month old. So after customizing my saberstaff to emulate the staff in the video above, I was looking for moves that would make use of the longer hilt and specific balance of a staff like this. These are a few of what I have come up with. The first is a continuous spin for one hand attained by adding a full roll over the back of the hand to a half palm spin to reset. The second is a double continuous spin that is a roll over the back of both hands with a grip on either side and a half spin to reset. The third is a one handed shoulder wrap around the neck and back into the same hand. The final is a double shoulder wrap, shown with and without intermediate grips, where the body turns 36 degrees. Demos set to "Fun Zone" from UHF. Enjoy.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HisRAsSnGRg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=HisRAsSnGRg</a>

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 11:28:52 PM »

Hey DC.  That is some crazy good staff spinning.  What are you using ?  Don't know how you do this in limited inside quarters.  I'm thinking that those neck wraps may be somewhat easier with a staff than using a single saber.  Would probably knock myself out or poke an eye.  You've come a long way and continue to impress.  Was waiting for a big smile at the end.  Thanks for sharing.  ds point.  Cheesy

EDIT:  The fire staff looks like an oversized twirling baton.  How heavy is it.  Would like to see a video of you or sister-in-law using it lit. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:33:46 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:43:33 AM »

Hey Dauntless,

The staff I am using is a V3 initiate staff with a yari extension and 16" blades. The mid section of the staff is wrapped in self fusing silicone grip tape. Yes the full neck wraps are pretty much just staff or greatsaber (staff extension on a single hilt with a heavy pommel). You need the room to work with to get it around the neck. You can do a half wrap with a single saber. several videos ago, I showed one of these where I loaded the saber to the back of my neck, swung it to the shoulder, and rolled it down the arm that loaded it. I can dig that up again if you like but I think it might be in this thread.  The fire staff is an aluminum rod with Teflon wicks at either end. The one I am using has fuzzy coverings over the wicks so you don't get soot on you if you miss. The total weight is about like a saberstaff, but it is balanced at the ends rather than in the middle like a saber, so it is easier to work with but easier to lose control of as well. The point of balance is much more spread out, which is what I have tried to emulate with the yari and short blades. One of these days, I plan to get to my sister in law's fire night on Wednesdays and get some pictures  of the fire staff and fire sort all lit up. With my work schedule, it is a bit difficult, though I am sure it will happen at some point. As to knocking yourself out, it happens. The fire sword I have has a thick silicone covering on the weight on the pommel. The manufacturer did that after people were injuring themselves a lot with the early models. It still hurts, but the new model won't crack your skull. It is like saber spinning. You are going to drop it and you are going to hit yourself with it. That is part of the learning process. You just don't use the staff while it is on fire or use an expensive emerald saber, until after you get pretty proficient.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 04:19:19 AM »

Thanks heaps and another appreciation point to you.  After I have the movement visualized in my mind, I'm going to give it a go with a v2 staff with some HG 16" blades.  Will see if there is enough momentum and balance with that length.  Being just 5'3" the v3's and yari extension plus blades will be way too heavy and long.  I did see the half wrap to arm roll.  I can only wish for that kind of confidence and coordination.  Practice... practice.  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: