Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Costume problem  (Read 4428 times)
Darth Milakos
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

« on: March 29, 2015, 02:25:27 AM »

Hello Darth Milakos here with a problem. Do you guys know of a relatively cheap costume maker? I have little to no money for a costume. Saving up is an option but that is far in the future and I would like to go out in my area with Star Wars groups and do charities right away. This is not me begging for money. I'm simply looking for something I can do. Thank you for reading my post and may the force be with you.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 04:10:47 AM »

Try Twin Roses? Their tunic sets are under 80 I think and can get them in any color I think too and just not the traditional off white. Its what I got though. Love their stuff. You'd need an inner tunic too though to complete the top look at least

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 04:27:25 AM »

Hello Darth Milakos here with a problem. Do you guys know of a relatively cheap costume maker? I have little to no money for a costume. Saving up is an option but that is far in the future and I would like to go out in my area with Star Wars groups and do charities right away. This is not me begging for money. I'm simply looking for something I can do. Thank you for reading my post and may the force be with you.

If you want to costume with an official group that has set standards then make sure you check what they are. For example I know for RL generic Jedi standards there are a lot of custom costume makers that can make outfits that meet said standards (from what I've seen Twin Roses could definitely do it, apparently there are a few Chinese makers that can make from the measurements you send as a friend just got one for about AUD$150 but you might as well check out local makers first), keep in mind for RL if you don't have the outer robe then you must have a full inner tunic plus food capsules and pouches plus lightsaber on belt. Belt and boots for something like RL jedi are usually the biggest cost unfortunately. I have no idea about the standards for other groups but they can be very particular about little details so make sure you check that out first.

Usually you can get in contact with your local costuming group/ base/ outpost/ clan and they will be happy to help guide you with the costume purchasing/ approval process and will have good knowledge of where to get stuff. They often will also be happy to have you come along as a recruit wrangler, so you'll be able to get your feet wet and see what goes on Smiley For example I've been costuming with my local RL outpost for nearly a year as a recruit, since I have a decent costume (which thankfully due to new standards I should be able to get approved soon) and they are always happy to welcome new people in. We have a few other members who don't have official costumes either but just do wrangling.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Darth Milakos
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 07:12:11 AM »

B1ondeange1 I havent a clue what RL means. Does your group have anyone/thing in the west coast? Rebel Legion right? Do they take sith or strictly Jedi?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:21:27 AM by Darth Milakos » Logged

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 08:29:14 AM »

Jedi only for Rebel Legion and Sith/other bad guys for 501st

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO

yjohn13@yahoo.com
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »

Making your own costume is not that hard if you are willing to learn as you go and it can be done for less money than from a costume maker (which I am one https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Youngs-custom-costuming/1404970186412095?ref=bookmarks ) but I also want to help people who do not have a lot of money get good costumes. first check thrift stores for old sheets they are a pretty cheap way to get fabric, Also look for pants and belts you can find a lot of belts that can be turned into a Jedi belt with a little ingenuity, boots finding old cowboy boots at thrift stores can save you a lot of money. check the interwebs for how to Jedi costumes, there is a world of info if you look for it . if this is all to much work well then save your money and find a costume maker you like ,cuz its either cheap and work or expensive and waiting.

Nowhere
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -25

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 02:18:27 PM »

Making your own costume is not that hard if you are willing to learn as you go and it can be done for less money than from a costume maker (which I am one https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Youngs-custom-costuming/1404970186412095?ref=bookmarks ) but I also want to help people who do not have a lot of money get good costumes. first check thrift stores for old sheets they are a pretty cheap way to get fabric, Also look for pants and belts you can find a lot of belts that can be turned into a Jedi belt with a little ingenuity, boots finding old cowboy boots at thrift stores can save you a lot of money. check the interwebs for how to Jedi costumes, there is a world of info if you look for it . if this is all to much work well then save your money and find a costume maker you like ,cuz its either cheap and work or expensive and waiting.

^this...dude speaks the truth. sewing's not that hard. its definitely the cheapest and probably the quickest way to get a costume.

also, his stuff is less expensive than most. buy from him Smiley

"You underestimate the power of the Dark Side."

Darth Milakos
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »

I would buy from John Young right now especially since he and I already talked about the costume that I'm looking for. But there is the problem of funding.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 08:10:11 PM »

It'll happen. It took me years to get MY Jedi costume so Tongue I know it just kinda sucks having a saber and not your own costume. Maybe get some garb and just do a Starkiller style costume if anything? Simple tank but mod it some, random belts, whatever color pants, so on?

yjohn13@yahoo.com
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 08:51:14 PM »

what are you looking for specifically ? Jedi? Sith?

Darth Milakos
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »

John Young I'm the guy you spoke to about the sith costume with the gauntlet. My wife has encouraged me to open a GoFundMe so hopefully some kind people will help fund my project
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:42:19 PM by Darth Milakos » Logged

yjohn13@yahoo.com
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 12:17:54 AM »

friend me on facebook

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 03:54:30 AM »

I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome that there is a group that does this kind of stuff in your area.  Smiley   Also, I wanted to suggest to you that if you want a super-quick costume, go look for a martial arts gi (uniform).  You can find them used on Ebay and even at a thrift store, if you are savvy.  They take dye very well, too.  I actually own a lot of used uniforms that I have dyed and re-purposed for various costumes.  You may even want to ask local dojos (schools) if they would be willing to sell you one of their gently used practice uniforms.  Some places will!

I often wear my old Aikido gi as a Luke Skywalker option.  It's almost perfect for it.

Darth Milakos
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 03:59:38 AM »

Nox I can't say that I know for sure that they do things in my area. Some do but idk if TDE does. Any other ideas are welcome

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 11:00:49 AM »

I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome that there is a group that does this kind of stuff in your area.  Smiley   Also, I wanted to suggest to you that if you want a super-quick costume, go look for a martial arts gi (uniform).  You can find them used on Ebay and even at a thrift store, if you are savvy.  They take dye very well, too.  I actually own a lot of used uniforms that I have dyed and re-purposed for various costumes.  You may even want to ask local dojos (schools) if they would be willing to sell you one of their gently used practice uniforms.  Some places will!

I often wear my old Aikido gi as a Luke Skywalker option.  It's almost perfect for it.

Depends if you want to go with someone like Rebel Legion (RL, sorry if I forgot to specify this earlier!) or if there is a generic costuming club- for example locally we have the Rebel Legion, 501st, Mandalorian Mercs, a handful of tiny specialty groups like Ghostbusters and an all round costuming club called Perth Allied Costumers. Allied Costumers are more accepting when it comes to costumes but to get approval for the international clubs usually requires a high quality of costume. To get approved for RL you can't just wear a karate gi with stuff over the top, its not allowed, and if you wanna get into real specifics the tunics are NOT just a karate gi type pattern, you have to adjust one. Using materials like bed sheets usually won't be acceptable for approval. And 501st will only take face character Sith to my knowledge, not custom characters. Otherwise the cheapest 501st costume is usually an officer as the components for all the rest start racking up the money pretty quick. There are other groups out there, I just have the most knowledge with RL and some with 501st. If you want to go Sith, The Dark Alliance is one of them (I'm pretty sure they will take custom Sith but check them out) http://www.the-dark-alliance.com/

Rebel Legion: homepage http://www.rebellegion.com/ , Forum (scroll down and you will see forums for each of the Bases and Outposts, from there you will be able to see what presence they have in your area):  http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/index.php

501st: homepage http://www.501st.com/

Mando Mercs: http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php

Unfortunately a lot of your international clubs tend to have high standards as they have a reputation to keep. I'm not trying to put you off nor am I a costume snob, cheap costumes can be just as great IMO and I've made a few of them, but unfortunately you tend to need to meet certain standards and guidelines which can get pretty fussy for the big clubs. Hence why I am not an official member of RL yet.

That's why I said check who is in your area and then what their regs are. I am in Western Australia so I'll be very little help to you there. Get in touch with your local group, see if you can start helping out with wrangling (you are there as an non-costumed or lightly costumed person helping the costumers especially those with armour and helmets, and helping with the public, collections, photos etc). Wrangling is actually a very important job, when in costume we rely on our wranglers to help as we often get mobbed by people wanting photos and those wearing headgear need assistance. As you start to get involved you will get to know more people, get more knowledge of what is available, what other groups are in your area and what is expected.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: