Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Wrapping MY Head Round LED...  (Read 3779 times)
Groovidad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Darth Groove

« on: May 26, 2015, 01:25:33 AM »

Ok, I'm cool with Emerald and RGB.  When buying a saber w/o Emerald with main blade color and FoC is where my question comes in.  Considering a main blade color of GB with FoC of BR, that would have to incorporate 2 LED, one for red and one for blue.  Are these singular to one board (soldered in) or are they capable of quick disconnect.  I know that QD is an option BUT, seeing the distinct properties of each and buying them in a "standard setup", is this a difficult change, sending back to US for change out OR is it already in QD config?

Failure is NOT an option!
ARSENAL
Dark Initiate LE v3; BR w/VA FoC; OBS v4
Chosen One CE; BR w/AS FoC; AV red; OBS v4
Dominix LE v3; VA W/AB FoC, AV red, OBS v4
Dark Liberator v3; FO, OBS v3
Guardian CE; Emerald, Black AV yellow, OBS v4
Sentinel v4, Windows, SRD w/AB FoC, Silver AV blue, OBS v4
Graflex SE, Emerald, silver AV, Brass buttons, OBS v3
Prophecy, GB blade, OBS v3, Silver AV
Standard Issue BS, GB w/VA FoC, Silver AV Green, OBS v3
Crimson Reaper, Emerald, Silver AV Blue, OBS v3, recharge port
Crimson Liberator, Stunt
Archon v2.1; CG w/AS FoC, AV Blue, OBS v4

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:54:30 AM »

Hi.  I can't help you with the quick disconnect color options questions.  However, I have an Obs. saber with GB blade and BR FoC.  Looks awesome but may not appeal to others.  There is an older video of Emory explaining and demonstrating FoC that used these two colors if you are wanting to see what they look like together.  Both colors are very strong.  Smiley

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Darth Groove

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:56:57 AM »

Hi.  I can't help you with the quick disconnect questions.  However, I have an Obs. saber with GB blade and BR FoC.  Looks awesome but may not appeal to others.  There is an older video of Emory explaining and demonstrating FoC that used these two colors if you are wanting to see what they look like together.  Both colors are very strong.  Smiley

Dauntless, thanks for responding!  My question is, in a "basic" setup (one blade color and FoC color) with Obsidian, are the LED already in QD Or not.

ARSENAL
Crimson Liberator, Stunt

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:15:12 AM »

Hi again.  Thanks for explaining further.  There is an extra charge to have quick disconnects.  Will leave the explanation to other members as I too would like a future saber to have this option.  Emerald driver may be more cost effective these days, but older members have this QD setup on a few of their sabers and have collected multiple change outs in both solid color and with FoC.  Smiley

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Darth Groove

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 02:17:14 AM »

Yes, indeed.  Seems the way to go on most builds(?). Thanks again!  I value your input!  A point to you!

ARSENAL
Crimson Liberator, Stunt

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 02:21:49 AM »

Just checked the saber build ordering options and the QD is an extra $15.00.  Don't know the cost of additional LED's.  Thanks for the point and one back at you for asking these questions that will help others.  Smiley

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Darth Groove

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 02:51:53 AM »

"These units currently fit into the Bane, War Glaive, Dark War Glaive, Arbiter, Dark Arbiter, Consular, Archon v2, Bellicose, Shock LE, Dark Shock, Manticore, Overlord, Menace and Raven."

These are the sabers that will do QD.  It's a $35 charge for the LED diode. This is under "Build your own saber, electronics"

Click HERE to read about Flash on Clash. Available Flash on Clash colors:

ARSENAL
Crimson Liberator, Stunt

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 03:09:15 AM »

Thanks again for more info.  Hey, how did a Darth end up with light side points and should we gather the troops to erase your points and restart to the dark side ?  Wink

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Darth Groove

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 03:14:51 AM »

Thanks again for more info.  Hey, how did a Darth end up with light side points and should we gather the troops to erase your points and restart to the dark side ?  Wink

LOL!  Yeah, you'd think my Avatar was a dead giveaway?!  Obviously not.  Jedi Nox told me to "stay grey".  It matters not though, my preference runs slightly darker.  I'm fine with it.  If "Dark points" gave me "Awards Points" for Dark Sabers, you bet I'd be advertising more aggressively!  LOL!

ARSENAL
Crimson Liberator, Stunt

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »

Groovidad, I'm pretty sure I gave u one of those ls points, so I'm happy to reverse for u and give u a few ds points to get u to the dark side, lol...  Smiley

If I understand your question, I'll see if I can explain what I know..... The MLS units or LED modules that US will install qd that have FoC have 2 qd connectors, the black click type jst connector for the + & - for the main colour, and a single red jst connector for the + only for the FoC colour... The LED board will have the colour diode's for the main colour mix and a separate diode for the FoC colour that is soldered to the FoC connector.... Once the LED unit is soldered up its main colour and FoC are fixed unless you re-solder or re-wire yourself.... You can order another MLS unit or LED unit with different main colour and FoC and just un click and re-click to change it....

The soundboard has a single wire for FoC and if you order without FoC this won't be wired up.... So if you didn't order with FoC you'd need to send it back to re-wire or do it yourself.... If you order with FoC you can simply disconnect the FoC connector to disable it or swap with another LED that doesn't have FoC and of course it wont have FoC....

I can take a pic of qd's on an MLS with FoC and one without so u can see the connectors.... Gimme a couple days.... Cheers  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:33:46 PM by JediXIX » Logged

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Darth Groove

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »

Groovidad, I'm pretty sure I gave u one of those ls points, so I'm happy to reverse for u and give u a few ds points to get u to the dark side, lol...  Smiley

If I understand your question, I'll see if I can explain what I know..... The MLS units or LED modules that US will install qd that have FoC have 2 qd connectors, the black click type jst connector for the + & - for the main colour, and a single red jst connector for the + only for the FoC colour... The LED board will have the colour diode's for the main colour mix and a separate diode for the FoC colour that is soldered to the FoC connector.... Once the LED unit is soldered up its main colour and FoC are fixed unless you re-solder or re-wire yourself.... You can order another MLS unit or LED unit with different main colour and FoC and just un click and re-click to change it....

The soundboard has a single wire for FoC and if you order without FoC this won't be wired up.... So if you didn't order with FoC you'd need to send it back to re-wire or do it yourself.... If you order with FoC you can simply disconnect the FoC connector to disable it or swap with another LED that doesn't have FoC and of course it wont have FoC....

I can take a pic of qd's on an MLS with FoC and one without so u can see the connectors.... Gimme a couple days.... Cheers  Smiley

JediXIX, many thanks for the info!  In my quest for knowledge on this, I found some wonderful schematics of the setup by another member.  I ordered a saber w/o QD's and wish I had ordered a 2-ch Emerald (alas, it is troubling). So, now, I know that I can just purchase the other LED in the color and FoC that I need, remove current LED, replace with new (which requires cutting, splicing, soldering and sleeving the connection) and....VIOLA!  Probably won't use QD's as they probably won't fit based on the sabers they will/won't.  I'm pretty handy with soldering, building, wiring diagrams so, I'm not squeemish about it.  I do know that, in the future, I will most likely stick with 2-ch sabers or QD's.  The 4-ch Emerald is very attractive, I just don't see needing the full functionality of it.  6M+ colors is a bit much yet, for many, having that kind of freedom is quite exhilarating!  A point to you, good sir!

ARSENAL
Crimson Liberator, Stunt

JediXIX
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 02:19:45 AM »

If you're up to soldering you might enjoy tinkering with some of your sabers..... I've soldered qd connectors into nearly all of my stunt sabers and sabers with sound, in some of the Initiates it changes the depth of the LED in the hilt slightly, but not too much, and still works fine.... the fun thing is being able to change out the LED colour when you want....

Just for your reference, James has an excellent topic on how to install qd's yourself  http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=16431.msg251083#msg251083

I do find most of my sabers stay the 1 colour, even my Emerald sabers find their colour and stay that way mostly...... But I do have 1, a stunt Apprentice v4 that I use nearly every day for spinning practice that I swap the LED every other day, just for fun (I also wired in a white illuminated av, with Li-Ion and buckpuck)..... It's VA at the moment, but is usually AB, SRD, or EG..... I also had AS in it for a while the other week, and that was fun too.... I'm working on getting some pics of various sabers with all the LED colours, still a work in progress, but for now here's a few I took the other week of my Apprentice with different LED's

The great thing with the Emerald sabers is pulsing, flickering and of course FoC if you have sound too.... To me, a 2ch Emerald is an astute purchase, if you know the main colours you'd want, so I completely agree with you there.... The great thing with 4ch Emerald is not only can you have the main blade any colour you like, but you can change the FoC colour to any combination that is not usually available, such as AB (G+B mix) main blade and maybe SY (R+G mix) as FoC.....

btw..... I'll pass on a few more ds points your way..... gotta bring balance to your force alignment  Wink

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Darth Groove

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 03:21:05 AM »

JediXIX, all I can say is STUNNING!!  It is so great to see one saber with multiple colors.  Gives me pause to engage in the direction you've gone.  You have me planning my next purchases: LEDs, QDs, stunt sabers, etc.  I know there is an immense amount of material on this forum to help along the way.  I can't believe I stumbled upon this site!  My original intent was to find a light saber prop for a costume I purchased a couple months back.  The very first and ONLY site I visited was US.  You and the rest of the US community have brought me great satisfaction, informative content and just great cammerraderie! 

Thanks for James's link (he is also uber awesome!) and thank you for your expertise and common bond in such a great genre!  MTFBWY, always!

ARSENAL
Crimson Liberator, Stunt

JediXIX
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 07:01:28 AM »

Thanks man...... I'm just trying to get the lighting right so I can get a balance between hilt detail and blade colour that I'm happy with, and a setup so I can get the pics I want quite quickly......

Be very careful....... this can become an addiction...... we even have a support group over in Off Topic for us saber addicts, haha  Tongue

If you start doing some soldering and tinkering, my advice would be start with something basic, like a stunt, and go from there..... You'll learn something new every time.... You can order a few extra qd cables and connectors with your next order (just ask Emory how), practice on a stunt saber, then move onto your more expensive ones..... Remember, if you start cutting wires and things, you'll void your US warranty.....

Star Wars fans unite  Grin Grin Grin

Choco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 53

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 03:25:55 PM »

When you buy a saber stock it generally does not come with quick disconnects though that is an option for many sabers (doesn't quite fit for all sabers) There are a few tutorials around to how to add QDs yourself and which connectors US use for the QDs which isn't hard to do

When it comes to swapping Leds, RGB or emerald it's really up to you here of which option is gonna work best. For me my main saber is an emerald saber and it's nice to be able to throw it into any color I feel like with any FoC I feel like plus the pulse effect is a nice touch.

[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/c021b8deb34e1a14.png[/img]

Sabers I own

Emerald 4 channel Manticore
Dark Standard Issue - BR (grab bag)
Liberator - FO (Grab bag)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: