Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Chosen One CE Review..FINALLY!  (Read 5403 times)
Groovidad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Darth Groove

« on: June 01, 2015, 02:43:37 AM »

Received the saber on Friday.  Standard packaging that would be expected from US. (Large bubble wrap, styro peanuts, sturdy box)  Now, I went "unconventional" on the configuration of color.  So, before moving forward, realize I had a method to my madness.

SPECS
32" Mid Grade Blade
GB Blade w/AS FoC
Green Illuminated A/V Switch
Silver Switch Box
Obs v4

TEST DRIVE

The Chosen One is a beautiful saber.  The hilt machining and parts are flawless.  The hilt comes standard with Covertech Wheel. The hilt is heavier than I anticipated.  That aside, it is a shorter and thicker hilt.  The raised black handgrip ridges add more thickness.  When wrapping my hand around them, my thumb and forefinger do not touch.  I grip just below the switch box for the best hand positioning.  You can do a 2-hand hold yet, with the blade emitter on the end, it makes it somewhat awkward with the knurled screws.  I cautiously performed several forward/reverse spins.  The movement is somewhat diminished by the hand grips.  The Lever on the side of the switchbox can catch on the hand while spinning.  The Covertech Wheel can also be felt when spinning.  After about 15 min. of spinning the saber, I noticed that the hand webbing between the forefinger and thumb were slightly reddened and some slight soreness was noted.  The weight of the hilt is substantially noticeable yet, it can be used for spins and careful flourishes.

The GB blade color is beautiful.  The AS FoC, for me, is not as dramatic.  The blade lock up is "ok" but, again, not as dramatic. The color becomes a very pale, cool blue. My reasoning for getting this color combo was to see first hand how the combo would look.  My intent is to later purchase a BR MLS to swap it out and use the GB for another future saber. Here are some photos:

FINAL THOUGHTS....

This is a MUST HAVE piece for any SW enthusiast!  It is elegant and feels powerful in the hand.  This particular saber is one I would not recommend for saber dueling.  You can but, with the tactile interference of the hand grips, covertech wheel and lever on switch box, your hands will take a beating!  This hilt is probably not best suited for folks with smaller than average hands.  Folks with large hands should find it more than accommodating but, you are at a higher risk of the aforementioned issues. 

I give it an A++ for appearance, craftsmanship and likeness of Darth Vaders light saber.  I give a B+ for handling.  I give a B for the GB blade and AS FoC, in terms of dramatic appearance and transitions.

These are only my observations and personal opinions based upon my interaction.  The salient issue for US fans and collectors is "Everyone is different!"  What I find obtrusive or less than desirable, others may find they are not issues for them.  My intent is to be honest and thoughtful in my review.

Am I happy with my purchase?  Absolutely!  Will I use it for saber dueling. No.  It will become a costume prop and showpiece in my collection.  My hope is that my review was helpful and
stimulates thought.  MTFBWYA!

Failure is NOT an option!
ARSENAL
Dark Initiate LE v3; BR w/VA FoC; OBS v4
Chosen One CE; BR w/AS FoC; AV red; OBS v4
Dominix LE v3; VA W/AB FoC, AV red, OBS v4
Dark Liberator v3; FO, OBS v3
Guardian CE; Emerald, Black AV yellow, OBS v4
Sentinel v4, Windows, SRD w/AB FoC, Silver AV blue, OBS v4
Graflex SE, Emerald, silver AV, Brass buttons, OBS v3
Prophecy, GB blade, OBS v3, Silver AV
Standard Issue BS, GB w/VA FoC, Silver AV Green, OBS v3
Crimson Reaper, Emerald, Silver AV Blue, OBS v3, recharge port
Crimson Liberator, Stunt
Archon v2.1; CG w/AS FoC, AV Blue, OBS v4

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 03:21:55 AM »

Very well written review, excellent pics and an interesting color combination with the blue blade and green AV considering it is Darth Vader's saber, I like unconventional color combos.  As far as all the greeblies getting in the way and tearing up your hands, I had that problem with the thumb screws on my Prophecy, but I just wear gloves when I'm handling a saber that isn't as streamlined.  I sadly don't have this saber yet, my Graflex is lonely, but it is at the top of my wishlist. 

Point!  Cool

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 03:33:24 AM »

Great review; +1.

I've said this before, but I greatly prefer the written reviews w/ pictures to the video reviews.  Usually you can see the fine details better. 

Question - you didn't mention your reasoning for the Green AV switch.  What drew you to that with a Blue (and later Red) blade.

Always curious to hear people's rationale for the unique combos . . .

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Darth Groove

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 03:47:20 AM »

Great review; +1.

I've said this before, but I greatly prefer the written reviews w/ pictures to the video reviews.  Usually you can see the fine details better. 

Question - you didn't mention your reasoning for the Green AV switch.  What drew you to that with a Blue (and later Red) blade.

Always curious to hear people's rationale for the unique combos . . .

The reason for the "unorthodox" color  combos was to show folks that you don't have to be a "purist" when configuring certain sabers i.e. Graflex, Archon, etc.  I'm not a big Cosplay, Comicon kind of guy.  I have the highest respect for those that are and stick to more "traditional and exacting" principles when it comes to this genre or any other within the same context.  Eventually, I may also change out the switch but, for now, giving a different perspective, I believe, gives folks pause to not be frightened to travel off the "beaten path".  The flexibility on swapping and changing out is available to everyone and I can only hope I've inspired others to experiment with this love we all share!

ARSENAL
Crimson Liberator, Stunt

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 04:45:05 AM »

Way nice. And you could always sand the emitter to silver so its Anakin's AOTC lightsaber. Just a thought Smiley

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Darth Groove

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 04:56:37 AM »

Way nice. And you could always sand the emitter to silver so its Anakin's AOTC lightsaber. Just a thought Smiley

That's the beauty of these wondrous implements!  You can tweak them to your suiting OR bring them as close to the "originals" as possible.  Of course, I'm preaching to the choir, Zren.  I'm pretty handy with mechanical, electrical, finishing and fabricating. (I used to restore VW's and I also build rifles as a hobby).  My mind runs wild with ideas on customizing these sabers! 

ARSENAL
Crimson Liberator, Stunt

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 04:47:44 AM »

I've seen a couple of purposed CG Chosen One's and they looked fantastic.  I'll admit that I'd go all traditional myself.  A very solid review and good perspective Groovidad it's appreciated.  Like Molina00 this is way high on my wish list.  Though some of it's features make it some what unwieldy, those features are why I like it so much.

+1  

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:54:20 AM by hazard502 » Logged

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Darth Groove

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 05:44:42 AM »

I've seen a couple of purposed CG Chosen One's and they looked fantastic.  I'll admit that I'd go all traditional myself.  A very solid review and good perspective Groovidad it's appreciated.  Like Molina00 this is way high on my wish list.  Though some of it's features make it some what unwieldy, those features are why I like it so much.

+1  

I hope I wasn't "unclear"(?). I absolutely LOVE this saber!  I had to have it, and the Graflex AND the Archon.  I am enamored by the details of the Chosen one, though in my review I didn't "gush" over it. (Would appear too much).  There are obvious benefits to owning one yet, there are "issues" that make it less desirable for specific purposes.  It's a "higher tier" saber and for many, going unconventional is not an option.  I do appreciate the significance and singularity of this particular saber.  Experimentation can be costly but, If one can afford to, I say go for it!

ARSENAL
Crimson Liberator, Stunt

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:49:27 AM »

Yes I totally get that you love it!  It's not for everybody, but it is for me! (one day I hope Smiley)

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 04:50:58 PM »

I really like the color combinations your chose for the blade and the switch.  I'm definitely not a purist and like seeing unconventional things.  Also, blue and green are my favorite colors, so I might also be a little biased!   Cheesy

Great review and awesome pics!

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Darth Groove

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 04:58:13 AM »

I really like the color combinations your chose for the blade and the switch.  I'm definitely not a purist and like seeing unconventional things.  Also, blue and green are my favorite colors, so I might also be a little biased!   Cheesy

Great review and awesome pics!

Thanks Jedi Nox!  Coming from you, I take that as supreme compliment.  Now, go take Chui out to dinner! Kiss

ARSENAL
Crimson Liberator, Stunt

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 07:35:47 AM »

Great review Daddio +1  Smiley

I really like the Chosen One with GB blade..... looks cool  Cool

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Darth Groove

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 05:43:47 AM »

Great review Daddio +1  Smiley

I really like the Chosen One with GB blade..... looks cool  Cool

Brother, like I said to Jedi Nox, coming from you, I take your words as a SUPREME compliment!  I bow to your experience!  Wink

ARSENAL