Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: the Other LEGO thread  (Read 29168 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« on: June 02, 2015, 05:21:41 PM »

Since this is the Off Topic board, I'm going to go off the topic of Star Wars.

Here is an invite to LEGO enthusiasts to talk and share their non-SW LEGO fixation.

I have had LEGOs in my life for as long as I can remember. But my fate was sealed on my 11th birthday when my parents finally caved and bought me "cool sets." Just about everything I got that year was LEGO sets. Blacktron, Space Police, and Ice Planet. I have been a near-rabid collector ever since.

My most recent persuits have been to collect the Ultra Agents series, as well as......the Mixels. I can't figure out why, but I love those little sets. I'm fixin' to get the Lixers Tribe tonight after work.

So let me know what y'all are into.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Vixus PriX
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -73

The only sober Hawk Bat

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »

I have always been a fan of Bionicle, and was... umm... upset... when they replaced Bionicle with Hero Factory. It made my day when they brought it back- because Hero Factory wasn't getting popular.

I don't like that Lego is creating sets based on movies, it kills imagination- which is what Lego claims to build more than Lego Sets.

And finally, the new Bionicle sets look too much like Hero Factory, they have lost their classic touch. I plan on getting a new set soon.

arsenal:
Dark Initiate (V3) Twin Pair
Wishlist: (all V3)
Dominix LE (silver) W. Sound, saber pike parts, Flamberge V2.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:25:06 PM »

I have always been a fan of Bionicle, and was... umm... upset... when they replaced Bionicle with Hero Factory. It made my day when they brought it back- because Hero Factory wasn't getting popular.

I don't like that Lego is creating sets based on movies, it kills imagination- which is what Lego claims to build more than Lego Sets.

And finally, the new Bionicle sets look too much like Hero Factory, they have lost their classic touch. I plan on getting a new set soon.

I hear that. I didn't mind it when they did Star Wars, but then it just seemed to be all they were really doing. For the most part, I don't care what they make, as long as it's original. (and of good quality.) Although I must admit LEGO Indiana Jones were great sets. And the LEGO Movie sets just made perfect sense.

The thing that I think is killing the LEGO brand beyond all the movie tie-ins are the stupid gimmicky shooters. Back my day, we pointed and went "pew, pew." No lights, no sound, no projectiles required. We didn't have flick missiles, spring loaded cannons (waitin' to put someone's eye out), or ball shooters. We used our imaginations. And because of that our ideas weren't diminished when the appeal of the set lost its luster. Then the real fun began, because it was then time to scrap it for parts, and our own ideas come into being.

Nowadays, it just seems that kids are lost during play time unless they have a movie or tv show directing how the story should go. Lame.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:48:15 PM »

I am now impatiently waiting for the Dr. Who Lego sets.  According to BBC, they were in negotiation with Lego to make kits available last year.  So far nothing unless not yet selling in Canada.  Anyone have an update?  My brother used to have some basic Lego a long time ago that mainly made vehicles and some structures like a non electric ferris wheel.  Didn't Lego also make the ones with wooden sticks and blocks.  With round wooden wheels with a hole in the center to make the stick connections?  Sad but true... gotta start somewhere.  Undecided

Inzane
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 30

Light side points please.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 11:48:51 PM »

My original Lego from childhood mostly centered around the original classic space ('78-80).   I had various  basic sets and a few others like a fire station as well.   In the mid 80s my "dark ages" began and remained until about 2003.

At which time I took notice of Star Wars Lego.  When I first saw that it was like my chocolate fell into my peanut butter.  By around 2006 I had collected almost all the sw sets released up to that time.  Meanwhile I dabbled in a few other themes.   Ferrari was a big one for me.   Also had a few Indiana Jones and batman.

Lately I've toned down the Star Wars to only OT themed stuff.   And I also got into the modular buildings (have all of them except the most recent two:  Parisian restaurant and detective office).  And my most recent non-star wars Lego interest is.....TRAINS!

Too bad Lego is so bloody expensive.

Aeon v3 (BR, 32" MG)
Dominix LE v4 w/ sound (SRD w/ AB FoC, 32" UE)
Dark Initiate LE v3 (BR, 24" UE)
Initiate LE v3 (GB, 24" UE)

kewlkev360
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 232

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:34:57 AM »

I had so many of the original Wild West series (before the addition of Indians themed sets).  First set was the giant abandoned mine set that was the outlaw hideout.  Had all the outlaws plush one cavalry soldiers for a shoutout.  Had a cool mine track feature with tripwire for some ambushes.  I also got the Wild West town (had the general store and back with exploding wall for robberies) plus a stagecoach and I also got the sheriff's office with jail cell.  The only original set I didn't get was the fort.

Many a bank robbery and prison break were commited.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 03:15:51 AM »

I um.... dont have Lego other than Starwars really. Unless you count the truck selling xmas trees i got for free a few years ago with an order.

i had a grand total of like 2 Lego that I bought for myself as a kid. We just couldn't afford them. Besides, I had a box of Lego that belonged to my brother. Theres a heap of different knights sets, city sets and space sets in there. All 80s sets. Plenty of pieces lost over the years but one day I'll rebuild the space sets to put next to the SW ones. Hubby has a very old mindstorm set in the cupboards, other than that most of his Lego has been lost, or is possibly floating around his parents house still.

I do want a helicarrier however. And I am envious of the ironman armoury a friend built  Grin

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 05:38:06 AM »

I am now impatiently waiting for the Dr. Who Lego sets.  According to BBC, they were in negotiation with Lego to make kits available last year.  So far nothing unless not yet selling in Canada.  Anyone have an update?  My brother used to have some basic Lego a long time ago that mainly made vehicles and some structures like a non electric ferris wheel.  Didn't Lego also make the ones with wooden sticks and blocks.  With round wooden wheels with a hole in the center to make the stick connections?  Sad but true... gotta start somewhere.  Undecided

OMG D7, Dr Who lego would be cool as....... I didn't know they were negotiating that.......

I've been lucky to have lego in my life for a long time, most of my favourites were the classic blue and white space sets in the 80's, and I always just luv'd making my own stuff up..... the kit would stay stock for a couple weeks then get mixed into the boxes and boxes me and my brother shared..... I just always loved space ships or flying ships...... I have vivid memories of making a Thunderbird 2 and 4 when I was about 6 (before sw), and also remember trying to build an x wing the moment I got home from first seeing sw in 77...... Also, the Phoenix from "battle of the planets", the list goes on..... But when lego started selling the sw stuff, that was it, I went a lil crazy, and I was in my late 20's at the time, haha.......

I would LOVE lego to get the rights to do the Thunderbird ships...... especially 2, 3 & 4......  Smiley

I'm also lucky to have a lot of Duplo, I bought lots for my kids, and suggested it for their pressies from relo's too..... Some of our friend's children know our home as the "lego house", haha.....

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 06:27:06 AM »

It all started a few years ago when my son became interested in SW and we picked up some sets, mainly ships to get into it.  But "we" Wink are mostly into the SW mini figs.  Jek-14!  And the lightsaberrrrrrrrrrrs!

Most recently we have gotten into TMNT mini figs and two sets, the turtles van and another flying car of sorts.  The turtle figs are cool and detailed and the shells are too cute.  We also have a few Marvel superhero figs(no sets) but aren't really going that direction.  Never had Lego as a kid(I know!) but now at 36 I love it.  And of course we have the generic tub of parts to make anything you wish.

Have spent 4+ hours in an evening assembling a single ship(or constructing an arc reactor from scratch-same thing) for my son after he went to bed to surprise him in the morning.  I sometimes take pictures of mini figs I put together so I can admire my own work, ha!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:30:40 AM by hazard502 » Logged

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

JediXIX
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 06:47:38 AM »

Have spent 4+ hours in an evening assembling a single ship(or constructing an arc reactor from scratch-same thing) for my son after he went to bed to surprise him in the morning.  I sometimes take pictures of mini figs I put together so I can admire my own work, ha!

haha, that's sooo me Hazard...... When my son was about 6 (he's now 22) me and my brother divided up our old blocks for my kids and his kids and this was added to his collection, I remember staying up nearly all night to make him a space ship creation we'd take about and started making before he went to bed...... haha, "bedtime" the enemy of lego creations  Grin

I have a pic of that ship somewhere, see if I can find it

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 04:31:35 PM »

I think you're referring to Tinker Toys. However, LEGO did start out making wooden toys back before most of us were born. I'm not sure if they had a line similar to TT.

I Googled your precious Who. It looks like they are out, just not here. I also wouldn't be suprised if a LEGO Dr. Who video game came out as well. The River mini-figure looks spot on.

To the group in general, you guys are making me highly nostalgic for the old glory days of LEGO. Wild West, Aquanauts, Pirates, Explorers. The list goes on for a while, but you get the idea. Wink

Sig by For Tyeth

JinhamKlyean
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 38

Light-side points preferred.

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »

I Googled your precious Who. It looks like they are out, just not here. I also wouldn't be suprised if a LEGO Dr. Who video game came out as well. The River mini-figure looks spot on.

A company called Character Building made LEGO-compatible Doctor Who-themed sets for a while; unlike LEGO, CB were much more willing to sculpt heads and other custom parts, which means (for instance) their Eleventh Doctor, Amy, & Rory look like caricatures of the actors -- not to mention their Daleks and Weeping Angels.

Now, I did discover over the weekend that LEGO is working on a game called LEGO Dimensions, which will make use of the Doctor Who license; they've got images up for Twelve, the TARDIS, and K-9.

http://www.cnet.com/news/doctor-who-joining-lego-dimensions-action-adventure-game/

Dark Sentinel v4 (CGreen, UEHG).
Proud member of Indy Lightsaber Academy!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »

A company called Character Building made LEGO-compatible Doctor Who-themed sets for a while; unlike LEGO, CB were much more willing to sculpt heads and other custom parts, which means (for instance) their Eleventh Doctor, Amy, & Rory look like caricatures of the actors -- not to mention their Daleks and Weeping Angels.

Now, I did discover over the weekend that LEGO is working on a game called LEGO Dimensions, which will make use of the Doctor Who license; they've got images up for Twelve, the TARDIS, and K-9.

http://www.cnet.com/news/doctor-who-joining-lego-dimensions-action-adventure-game/

No it wasn't those, but I apologize D7. What I saw was a brilliantly done CGI. I was so hopeful for you.

Sig by For Tyeth

JinhamKlyean
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 38

Light-side points preferred.

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 08:14:43 PM »

https://www.google.com/search?q=lego+dimensions+doctor+who&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=E2BvVcSJJYWBygTy34DYCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1440&bih=815

Dark Sentinel v4 (CGreen, UEHG).
Proud member of Indy Lightsaber Academy!

JediXIX
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 12:36:08 AM »

This was one of the sets way back in the late 70's, early 80's that helped form my love of lego, set 497.....  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: