Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Game and Monthly Internet GB Usage  (Read 2854 times)
Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« on: August 21, 2011, 12:52:04 AM »

While I was watching the local news report a few days ago I seen a report that stated cable/internet companies are starting to put monthly GB usage limits into their plans.   I gave up my aircard and went to "blank (company name)" high speed internet.  When I was with them before there was not a monthly maximum GB usage limit, but now there is (50GB). 

I was wondering if anyone has heard of, or knows (based on playing other like games), what the possible monthly GB usage might be when playing the game three or four times a week.  In the report I seen, it showed a bill for a user being charged over 300.00 for internet usage fees...I would hate to end up getting a bill that pricey. 

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:24:58 AM »

That's a VERY good question Qui-Tom. I would very much like to know the answer as well.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 02:41:41 AM »

Me too.  It seems to be a general trend, with cell companies doing away with unlimited data plans as well.  I just moved my brother into school and his school has a policy of charging for data usage above 50 GB as well, I had figured it was mostly just to conserve bandwidth but now I see why. 

While I seriously doubt this game (or any game really) will threaten this limit, I am a bit worried as well.  Not only for myself, but for the game - I'm sure a LOT less people will be eager to play it when they have to pay outrageous overage fees IN ADDITION TO whatever monthly charges plus the game's price.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:29:44 AM »

Me too.  It seems to be a general trend, with cell companies doing away with unlimited data plans as well.  I just moved my brother into school and his school has a policy of charging for data usage above 50 GB as well, I had figured it was mostly just to conserve bandwidth but now I see why. 

While I seriously doubt this game (or any game really) will threaten this limit, I am a bit worried as well.  Not only for myself, but for the game - I'm sure a LOT less people will be eager to play it when they have to pay outrageous overage fees IN ADDITION TO whatever monthly charges plus the game's price.

As always I'm with Nero, though I've no idea how much data the games will require.  Loading Facebook over and over and over requires a lot of data with all the pictures so it could get strange but we'll have to wait and see how the market reacts.

M.A.V.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:23:55 PM »

Well, I decided to search the TOR forums, and see what I could find out about this. I came across this thread, that made me let out a huge sigh of relief:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=278143&highlight=bandwidth+usage

Basically what I got from the thread was, that MMO's in general use very little bandwidth. In fact playing WOW(which is known as a "Bandwidth Hog") uses less bandwidth than Netflix, when used for the same amount of time.

(Sig by me!)

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:47:39 AM »

That's the thread I seen to lead me to ask the question to begin with.

Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 03:17:14 AM »

That's the thread I seen to lead me to ask the question to begin with.

Oh, okay. From what I gather from other sites about other MMO's as well as friends who play other MMO's, they don't have a problem going over, as long as they play "conservatively." But these are hardcore gamers, so what's conservatively to them, is normal for us. XD.

(Sig by me!)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: