Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian Settings Help  (Read 12359 times)
Loraxis
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -11

« on: June 11, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »

I apologize in advance...I'm sure there are other threads on this topic, but as much as I've read I am still not quite grasping and/or finding the info I need. Ok, I've yet to find a happy medium with the sensitivity settings for my emerald saber, in terms of flash on clash. I've  changed it so that the saber is either overly sensitive to motion, or barely reactive. What would be a good set of settings so that it flashes without a ton of force behind the hit, and yet does not flash when being spun?

I appreciate any information you give me!

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »

I use these settings for some time now and I'm quite happy with them:

Motion Threshold: 100
Motion Integration Time: 4
Impact Threshold: 8
Impact Debouncing Time: 60
Minimum Time Between Impacts: 40
Lockup Flash Time: 24

You may want to do some fine-tuning on the Motion and Impact Threshold depending on how much you like (or dislike) the current settings.

However, I have to say that it still depends on how and where you hold your saber and, more important, how and where you hit the blade! This has great influence on the sensitivity, too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:46:42 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Darth Groove

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 09:57:21 PM »

You may want to do some fine-tuning on the Motion and Impact Threshold depending on how much you like (or dislike) the current settings.

However, I have to say that it still depends on how and where you hold your saber and, more important, how and where you hit the blade! This has great influence on the sensitivity, too.

Thanks, brother!  I've been thinking about asking the same question!  Point to you, good sir!

Failure is NOT an option!
ARSENAL
Dark Initiate LE v3; BR w/VA FoC; OBS v4
Chosen One CE; BR w/AS FoC; AV red; OBS v4
Dominix LE v3; VA W/AB FoC, AV red, OBS v4
Dark Liberator v3; FO, OBS v3
Guardian CE; Emerald, Black AV yellow, OBS v4
Sentinel v4, Windows, SRD w/AB FoC, Silver AV blue, OBS v4
Graflex SE, Emerald, silver AV, Brass buttons, OBS v3
Prophecy, GB blade, OBS v3, Silver AV
Standard Issue BS, GB w/VA FoC, Silver AV Green, OBS v3
Crimson Reaper, Emerald, Silver AV Blue, OBS v3, recharge port
Crimson Liberator, Stunt
Archon v2.1; CG w/AS FoC, AV Blue, OBS v4

Racona Nova
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »

I'm glad that I could help Cheesy Thanks for the point!

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Loraxis
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 01:41:31 PM »

Grin Thank you so much!! I'll try these settings tonight and see how it goes. I have a reaper which is a little blade heavy (I'm going to see about getting a heftier pommel to see if that will counter balance it)

You wouldn't happen to know what 'debouncing'  means do you?

Racona Nova
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 05:51:17 PM »

Literally it means something like this: You throw an elastic ball onto the floor and as soon as it hits the floor, it jumps back into the air. This phase where it just hit the floor and starts jumping back is called "debounce".

In the case of the Obsidian sensor sensitivity it means that you reduce the possibility of fake impact sound triggers that occur when you don't hit anything but still get an impact sound. It's different from Impact Threshold which defines the general threshold where an impact is detected as "impact", no matter if it's really an impact or just a fake trigger. The same applies to the Motion Integration Time (which is similar to Impact Debouncing Time) and Motion Threshold.

Minimum Time Between Impacts is quite easy - it defines the reset time of the impact sensor: the lower the setting, the faster the sensor is ready to detect a new impact.

And Lockup Flash Time is the speed the blade flashes when in lockup mode. Here, it's also "the lower, the faster". However, it has no real effect on Emerald sound sabers because their lockup flash time is mainly determined by the Flash on Clash setting of the Emerald Driver.

The older v3 version of the launcher has a help file that explains the different setting a bit better than I can, but I hope I could still help you.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:03:08 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Sig by Master Nero

Loraxis
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 12:54:52 AM »

Grin THANK YOU!!!!! That  was incredibly helpful! I had been having an issue with impact ghosting (you know if it doesn't impact and still flashes) and your reply will help a lot!...guess it's time to plug it in and adjust everything lol

Racona Nova
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 12:15:20 PM »

Good luck then Grin You need some time until you have good setup, but it's worth it if you want the most realistic behaviour of your saber Wink

Sig by Master Nero

Cascadejackal
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 07:38:36 AM »

Literally it means something like this: You throw an elastic ball onto the floor and as soon as it hits the floor, it jumps back into the air. This phase where it just hit the floor and starts jumping back is called "debounce".

In the case of the Obsidian sensor sensitivity it means that you reduce the possibility of fake impact sound triggers that occur when you don't hit anything but still get an impact sound. It's different from Impact Threshold which defines the general threshold where an impact is detected as "impact", no matter if it's really an impact or just a fake trigger. The same applies to the Motion Integration Time (which is similar to Impact Debouncing Time) and Motion Threshold.

Minimum Time Between Impacts is quite easy - it defines the reset time of the impact sensor: the lower the setting, the faster the sensor is ready to detect a new impact.

And Lockup Flash Time is the speed the blade flashes when in lockup mode. Here, it's also "the lower, the faster". However, it has no real effect on Emerald sound sabers because their lockup flash time is mainly determined by the Flash on Clash setting of the Emerald Driver.

The older v3 version of the launcher has a help file that explains the different setting a bit better than I can, but I hope I could still help you.

Thanks for the explanation! I couldn't figure out what would make it more/less sensitive, and for some reason there's no documentation on it. Now I kinda know what I'm doing, thanks to you. Grin

Light Side points, if you please. ^_^

Racona Nova
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 01:00:20 PM »

Yeah, the v4 has no help file anymore...but I'm glad that I can still explain it as well as the help file did Cheesy

Two more remarks:
a) Reducing the "Motion Threshold" and "Impact Thresold" increase the general sensor sensitivites!
b) Reducing the "Motion Integration Time" and "Impact Debouncing Time" increase the possibility of fake sensor triggers!

Sig by Master Nero

Caylem
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 18

Lightpoints please!

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »

Nice, thank you for the explanation, since i did not knew what the settings were doing, i was not willing to modifie them! lol

Point for you!  Wink

Lightsabers:
                   Manticore CE V3sound (emerald)
                   The guardian V4sound (emerald) Nickel plated
                   Initiate LE V3 in CG
                   Azure Reaper V3 sound in GB
                   The Consular V4 sound in CG

Roband
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -38

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »

Great input, this info makes it a lot easier to fine tune the saber's behaviour!

Here's a related question: How much of a difference would the specific hilt shape, weight and the orientation of the soundboard within that hilt make to the sensitivity of the Obsidian's Flash on clash?

I've noticed that my Brother's Crimson Meanace reacts much more naturally (Obsidian v3 on default settings) to impacts on the blade than my Azure Reaper (Obsidian v4 on default settings) but my Reaper will react to hand impacts on the hilt... Of note, the Reaper is MUCH bigger and heavier than the Meanace, so I suspect that the additional mass is buffering the impacts, and therefore I need to increase the sensitivity of the settings to get the same behaviour.

PASSION, yet PEACE
SERENITY, yet EMOTION
CHAOS, yet ORDER
THE FORCE, in BALANCE

Racona Nova
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 07:23:19 PM »

Oh, these aspects have a big influence on the sensitivity. I have the exact same settings for all of my sabers, and all react in a different way. So it's quite important to fine-tune the board to the hilt! Like you described, a different hilt may react in a completely different way although you have the same settings.

And of course does the newer v4 board behave different from the "older" v3. So two identical settings on different boards, even in the same hilt, may lead to different behaviour!

Sig by Master Nero

Rayrox222
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 04:02:28 AM »

Im using a dominix v4 two handed with heavy grade blade.  I want to have swing sounds for any saber movement but even with 1 motion threshold 2 motion integration time it isnt always responsive.   My other variables are 10 impact threshold, 50 IDT, 125 MTBI and 52 LFT.  any suggestions for bolstering swing sensitivity to make it more responsive to any movement no matter how slow registers as a swing sound effect?

Racona Nova
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »

I think you always need a minimum in speed to activate the sensor before it can react and you also need to take the sensor reset time into account. So increasing the sensitivity helps a lot regarding sensor activation, but what you would also need here is an infinitesimal reset time, i.e. 0,000...s, and that's not possible.

Sig by Master Nero

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: