Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Eclipse Orbit??  (Read 12163 times)
wargame_insomniac
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 48

« on: June 18, 2015, 11:22:48 PM »

Hi

Been watching the Terra Prime Lightsaber Basic video tutorials. Love them and find incredibly helpful.
As I said before I he started on the Orbits s something I can do repititions of to build up fitness and flexibility. Happy with Downward Minor Orbits - find the Upward Minor Orbits less fluid t the moment. Think I need a slightly shorter blade (so won't catch on the grass) and more practice.

However I can't get my head around the Eclipse Orbit at all. Has anyone got a much slowed down video or can give me a real basic step by step explanation of Elcipse Orbit.

Did a search on forum but nothing came up.

Thanks very much

James

dasweallycool
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 84

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 12:01:09 AM »

PM this guy: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=21239

He know's his stuff!!

I HAVE:
Aeon V3 - AS/Obsidian
Initiate V4 LE BR/ObsLITE
Standard Issue AS/Stunt
Force FX - Yoda
M/R - Anakin EP2
M/R - BYO
M/R - Luke EP4

Wish List:
Prophecy V3 AB/Stunt

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 04:42:23 AM »

The eclipse orbit is a new name that TPLA came up with for what has previously been called an obi/ani spin. It got that name from the fact that obi-wan and anakin use it a lot in the third move. A lot of people hate the name so it is sometimes just called a behind the back. To my knowledge, TPLA are the only ones who call it an eclipse orbit which is why you are having trouble finding it. Under the old name though, there are a lot of tutorials as it is a tricky move to learn.
I cover it in pretty slow form in part one of my basics.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXqekMvo2Y" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXqekMvo2Y</a>

In part two, I show you how to do it backwards.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md05XL6B2_o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md05XL6B2_o</a>

Venturous also as a good tutorial on it here
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFEq69Dx_jw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFEq69Dx_jw</a>

CH3M15T, who the previous poster referred you to deals with it principally in dual wield. Wait on that until you can do it well with both hands. Then come back and I will give you that link.

wargame_insomniac
Knight Major

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »

Thanks Darth Cephalus. I did find CH3MI5T's YouTube videos -yes not ready for his more advanced moves!. I did discover Venturous videos last night - definitely helped.  Thanks.  Will check out your link when I am not on my phone.  Cheers James

wargame_insomniac
Knight Major

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 02:07:03 PM »

Thanks Darth Cephalus.
The picture was a bit small (looks like your more recent Youtube videos are full screen) and  bit quiet but it helped. Previously been doing spins left and right.  Tried going front and back for the first time thanks to your video - will be definitely practicing both going forward to improve 360 degree wielding.

The main thing I find tricky is trying to get both sides of obi-ani to be a complete circle. Trying to do slowly at the moment so that I get the right rotation of pommel to keep circle flowing.

Cheers

James

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 01:51:04 AM »

Yes, I was having stand issues with the ipad and was having to go vertical until I figured it out. The later ones are in landscape. As for the spin, that is the way to do it. Dipping the pommel raises the blade and completes the circle. Once it gets comfortable, the momentum of the saber will help in this regard as well when you are doing it at speed.

wargame_insomniac
Knight Major

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 07:27:20 PM »

Thanks.  Trying to resist urge to just do it fast and instead trying to get technique right. No quick easy button!!

dasweallycool
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 84

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 01:11:37 PM »

hmm.. anyone got a video of a leftie doing this?? .. i'm such a pain! hehe..

I HAVE:
Aeon V3 - AS/Obsidian
Initiate V4 LE BR/ObsLITE
Standard Issue AS/Stunt
Force FX - Yoda
M/R - Anakin EP2
M/R - BYO
M/R - Luke EP4

Wish List:
Prophecy V3 AB/Stunt

wargame_insomniac
Knight Major

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 07:30:45 PM »

How come in pain? Were you taking hand behind back?

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 08:48:01 PM »

I can understand the confusion, like Cephalus mentioned the Eclipse Orbit is a name we made up to address the Obi-Ani spin, which seems to be extraordinarily popular.  I can understand the appeal, once you have the spin down it feels rather nice to perform.  The name change actually came from the TPLA Masters agreeing that "Obi Ani" is a fairly dumb name...

It's not the most practical of techniques, but it's definitely a staple of spinning and stunts (plus it's good for working on flexibility with the Orbits).

wargame_insomniac
Knight Major

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 08:47:55 AM »

Thanks.  I think in between the TPLA videos and those of Master Venturous and Darth Cephalus, it is starting to make sense. Making an effort to get the full circular motion so at the moment having to do it slowly.  Hopefully speed will come witj practice.

Definitely agree on needing the spins to improve flexibility.  I start with major orbits - 20 of upwatd and downward to warm up and get the hips and shoulders moving.

wargame_insomniac
Knight Major

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 08:50:46 AM »

One question I did have was the Major Orbits.  Don't really see anyone do them at speed.  What is their purpose? Especially for Soresu.  Do they come into Soresu blocks and parries?

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 09:03:18 PM »

One question I did have was the Major Orbits.  Don't really see anyone do them at speed.  What is their purpose? Especially for Soresu.  Do they come into Soresu blocks and parries?

Yes, they're actually designed with several guard positions in mind (including some of the Makashi Moon Guards).  The Minor ones are similar.  Mostly the orbits you learn in Soresu are intended to teach you to maneuver the blade around the body for defensive purposes.

wargame_insomniac
Knight Major

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 10:27:33 PM »

Thanks.

I am trying not to look too far ahead in TPLA Soresu videos.
Would like try some of the Shii-ho basics first as grounding.

Darth Cephalus
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 01:05:26 AM »

From a spin standpoint, the major orbits can be used to make more grand movements and are especially nice when you pivot the body with them. In dual wield, you can switch to a major orbit while doing flowers to widen the circle and give the spin an explosion and contraction effect.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: