Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Raven (Standard Edition, Pyrestone Orange, Obsidian v4) Review  (Read 4616 times)
Cascadejackal
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 31

« on: June 29, 2015, 06:18:24 AM »

My Raven finally arrived! Grin

First impressions, opening the box, were disappointing... because I'd opened the blade end, not the hilt end. >/)<
Once I got rid of the packing peanuts, though, and ripped off the bubble wrap, I finally got to see my new 'saber. It was everything I'd thought it would be and more.

How does it look?
Menacing. It's based on Starkiller's Sith Stalker lightsaber, from The Force Unleashed, but US have really outdone themselves with it.
It has the basic black anodising and silver machining, which looks terrific, but it's the details which really make this saber shine.

The blade holder is black with machined silver grooves, is removable and held in place with two screws, and has two more screws to hold the blade itself in place. It's extremely sturdy, and mine came with it rotated so I could get to the blade retention screws without removing the blade holder, saving a lot of time getting the blade in and out.

The rings on the lower half of the hilt are raised, rather than the machined grooves I've gotten used to. This makes the saber look bulkier without adding much width to the hilt, but also gives your offhand a secure grip when you're two-handing.

The pommel is the Standard Edition vented pommel. It's attractive enough, doesn't get in the way and lets the sound out. Not much more to say, really.

The upper half of the hilt is split into two parts. The area around the switch is fairly plain, but is sized for your main hand to sit pretty comfortably. The emitter, where the claws and blade holder are attached, is a solid section of the hilt itself, not removable. You can take the claws off if you like; I haven't, partly because I love how it looks with them on and partly because I don't have an allen key that fits.
It's worth noting that the edges at the base of the emitter, and the corners where it goes into the black grooves, could use a bevel. They're noticeably sharp, particuarly the corners. Not enough to cut yourself on, but it's not exactly comfortable to run your hand into when spinning or sparring. If you really choke up on the saber and like to grip as close to the blade as you can, you'll definitely notice it more.

I opted for the plain silver AV switch. The light-up switch was tempting, but it would've been obscured by my hand when I'm using it, so I decided against spending the extra cash for something I wouldn't get full use out of. The plain silver looks plenty attractive on the black hilt, anyway.
The AV switches are more comfortable than the guarded switches, as well.

The claws are definitely eye-catching. That is, they look great and draw attention, not that they actually grab your eyeballs. Even though they look like they could. Tongue
The quality of the claws is great. They're solid aluminum and come tightly secured to the emitter. Every possible edge is bevelled, which adds to the look and makes it safer to use. The tips are rounded off, so you don't have to worry about accidently damaging your opponent's blade (or your opponent) while dueling or sparring. You should still be careful, though, because a mid-grade blade to the head or thumb still hurts, and I don't imagine anyone would be too happy about taking the broadside of a claw to the hand. Tongue
I went with the Standard Edition claws, because I thought the SS Edition claws would be excessively long. Now that I actually have it in my hand, I'm convinced I made the right choice.

Something I didn't realise was just how big the Raven was, because there aren't many comparisons between it and other sabres. I was expecting something similar to the Dominix or Dark Standard Issue, since they're more-or-less that same length and thickness (ignoring the Dominix' chokepoints, anyway), but the Raven is a beast. Even without the claws, it's a good couple of inches longer than the DSI or Dominix, but with the Standard Edition claws it's about 50% longer. It's a hilt-and-a-half.
With the SS Edition claws, it would come close to being twice as long. Shocked
The black part of the hilt is the same thickness as the DSI, which makes sense since it can take an MHS pommel, but the grip rings, emitter and included pommel are all thicker than the DSI by a few millimetres.
From the right (and in order of when I got them), we've got the Aeon V3, Dominix V3, Dark Standard Issue and the Raven. Hopefully this gives you an idea of the sheer size of the Raven.

The blade color is Pyrestone Orange with Adegan Silver FOC. I chose that because I love orange sabers, and because I already had a Fire Orange and I didn't want two of the same color. That said, Pyrestone Orange is my new favorite color. While Fire Orange is paler, tending to more of a gold or yellow (I've called it Orange Juice Orange a few times), Pyrestone Orange is a very strong, definite orange (more Fanta than orange juice). It looks more red than orange in photos, but it sits firmly between Fire Orange and Blazing Red IRL.
I've included my Dark Standard Issue in Fire Orange and my Dominix in Blazing Red for comparison. All blades are mid-grade.

How does it handle?
Brilliantly. When I first saw how large it was, I was shocked, and assumed it would be heavier than the Dark Standard Issue, the heaviest hilt I'd used. Obviously, I was right. But, as I learned when I picked it up, it doesn't feel heavier. In fact, it feels more nimble than the DSI. This is due to the design of the hilt. The pommel is large, and all the electronics are stuffed in the back, but the emitter is also quite large, shifting the balance forwards a bit. With the claws on, the balance is right around the switch, and a mid-grade blade moves it to the end of the emitter, up to about the second retention screw.

What this means is that you can swing it around very easily, and you always have full control over it.

The only downside is the length. It's a long hilt, and using it one-handed can be a bit difficult at first. I find my hand running into the sharp edges at the emitter's base more when I'm using it one-hand, as well. I can solve that with a bit of paracord or something wrapped around there, or just by wearing gloves.

The claws don't seem to get in the way at all. I haven't had a chance to duel with it yet, but it seems like they'd be at least somewhat decent at stopping your opponent's blade from cracking down on your thumb when your blades clash.
Again, the length is a bit of a problem with the claws. Hanging it from my belt with Standard Edition claws, it comes down to my knee. The SS Edition would be ridiculous unless you had a horizontal sheath/holster for it.
Alternately, you could leave the blade in and have a loop on your belt to carry it more like an actual sword. That would also save you the trouble of taking the blade out of the hilt and putting it back in if you want a photo while you're out-and-about, like at a con or whatever.

How's the sound?
I love the Obsidian v4. When I first hit the switch and heard it, I got shivers up my spine. It's a pretty powerful little thing, and clearer than I'd expected. I went through the installed soundfonts a couple of times before settling on the Episode VI font, but the other default sounds all have their good points. Except Ancient Saber, that just sounds like static and electrical crackling instead of a lightsaber.

Light Side points, if you please. ^_^

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »

Hi.  What can I say except for an exceptionally well done review and photos.  This info will really help other potential Raven buyers and also orange blade enthusiasts.  Well deserved point to you.  Shocked  Cheesy

Roband
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -38

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 04:19:29 PM »

Very nice review! Have another point. I just got a raven myself, and have to say your review is spot-on!

PASSION, yet PEACE
SERENITY, yet EMOTION
CHAOS, yet ORDER
THE FORCE, in BALANCE

Caylem
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 18

Lightpoints please!

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 04:35:26 PM »

Very good review, like the close up to allow us see more details. You say it get to your knee while on belt, what size are you to have a better idea? You earned that point!  Wink

Lightsabers:
                   Manticore CE V3sound (emerald)
                   The guardian V4sound (emerald) Nickel plated
                   Initiate LE V3 in CG
                   Azure Reaper V3 sound in GB
                   The Consular V4 sound in CG

wargame_insomniac
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 48

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 06:36:33 PM »

Now THAT is the sort of review that could tempt me to the Dark Side. Very nice description of cool hilt. I haven't yet gone for an orange blade but I do like both your FO and PO. Are they done via Emerald?

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 07:15:51 PM »

Great in depth review, more reviews like this would be awesome.
I've always considered getting a Raven, but have never pulled the trigger on one.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 04:30:38 AM »

I really enjoyed what you've done, great description covering many aspects of the Raven.  A quality review such as yours was overdue for this hilt thank you.  I would choose the plain pommel and with you're pics it looks as good as I imagined.  Superb comparison of blade colors, I'm getting more excited about a possible orange lightsaber one day specifically in PO. 

+1

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Darth Groove

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 04:51:37 AM »

A VERY thorough and enlightening review, indeed!  That is a wicked hilt!  That's one I might be a bit apprehensive dueling with.  I can get too in the moment when crossing blades with others.  Beautiful blade color and a very attractive hilt!  Nice choice!  Point!

Failure is NOT an option!
ARSENAL
Dark Initiate LE v3; BR w/VA FoC; OBS v4
Chosen One CE; BR w/AS FoC; AV red; OBS v4
Dominix LE v3; VA W/AB FoC, AV red, OBS v4
Dark Liberator v3; FO, OBS v3
Guardian CE; Emerald, Black AV yellow, OBS v4
Sentinel v4, Windows, SRD w/AB FoC, Silver AV blue, OBS v4
Graflex SE, Emerald, silver AV, Brass buttons, OBS v3
Prophecy, GB blade, OBS v3, Silver AV
Standard Issue BS, GB w/VA FoC, Silver AV Green, OBS v3
Crimson Reaper, Emerald, Silver AV Blue, OBS v3, recharge port
Crimson Liberator, Stunt
Archon v2.1; CG w/AS FoC, AV Blue, OBS v4

Cascadejackal
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 06:22:10 AM »

Solved the issue with the sharp edges on the base of the emitter. I could just file it down, but I don't have the patience for that and I don't want to scratch my favorite hilt up too much. Tongue
Instead, I got some 1.5mm leather cord and did a braid around the hilt, at the emitter's base.
The braid's a bit thicker than the emitter itself, and I haven't run my hand into the sharp corners at all since putting it on.

Hi.  What can I say except for an exceptionally well done review and photos.  This info will really help other potential Raven buyers and also orange blade enthusiasts.  Well deserved point to you.  Shocked  Cheesy

I tried to cover everything I wanted to know before buying a Raven, but couldn't find out. If it helps other potential buyers make up their minds, then I did it right. Grin

Now THAT is the sort of review that could tempt me to the Dark Side. Very nice description of cool hilt. I haven't yet gone for an orange blade but I do like both your FO and PO. Are they done via Emerald?

Nope. They're the FO and PO you get by just ordering the colors.

A VERY thorough and enlightening review, indeed!  That is a wicked hilt!  That's one I might be a bit apprehensive dueling with.  I can get too in the moment when crossing blades with others.  Beautiful blade color and a very attractive hilt!  Nice choice!  Point!

The claws are removable, if you're worried about hurting your opponent or  damaging their blade. Honestly, though, I don't see the Normal Edition claws interfering too much or being too difficult to work with during a duel. Unlike the SS Edition claws, which are so long you'd almost definitely get some claw-on-blade action.
I haven't had the chance to actually duel with my Raven yet (and won't for a few days, at least), but the claws are pretty securely attached, so they won't come off unless you beat them with a cricket bat or something. The tips are rounded, so you'd have to actually slam a blade straight down on them repeatedly (and pretty hard, given how durable the blades are) to actually damage the blade.
If you want more useable blade length without taking the claws off, you could try a 40" blade. The more I look at mine, the more I think it's made for 40" and not the 36" I've got in it.

Very good review, like the close up to allow us see more details. You say it get to your knee while on belt, what size are you to have a better idea? You earned that point!  Wink

I'm 5'11. Here's a picture of it hanging next to my Aeon, to show just how long it is when clipped onto a belt.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 08:48:40 AM »

Very nice. Been wondering what the regular claws would be like. How is it in person? I'm only 5'7" so and have been wanting a Raven for a long time, I have the Bellicose which is based on TFUII sabers so why not

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Cascadejackal
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:53 AM »

Very nice. Been wondering what the regular claws would be like. How is it in person? I'm only 5'7" so and have been wanting a Raven for a long time, I have the Bellicose which is based on TFUII sabers so why not

Is there anything particular you want to know? How it handles, how it looks being used, how much the pommel hurts if you drop it on your foot by accident (which is a lot!) or just generally what it's like?

I'm 5'11, and I find it to be the most comfortable saber hilt I own. You might think the claws would get in the way when spinning or practicing forms, but they don't.
They make the base of the blade look thicker, which is nice, and on a 36" blade you don't lose too much useable blade length. I've only got 36" blades, so I can't try other sizes, but I can see smaller blades getting visually overwhelmed by the length of the claws (and not having as much useably length, obviously). It would probably look more balanced (visually, at least) with a 40" blade, but it's already a long hilt so I can see that being harder to handle.
Something I'd love to see would be a Raven staff, just because it would be so ridiculous. Awesome, but ridiculous.

I don't have a Bellicose mysef, but comparing Ultrasabers' pictures of the two, the clawless Raven looks to be about the size of the Bellicose. To get an idea of how long the Raven is with the SE claws, get something as long as the black part of your Bellicose' grip and put it on top of the blade holder. Not the greatest example, but it might help. Tongue

Cascadejackal
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 02:30:26 PM »

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON RAVEN DURABILITY!

As I'd expected, the Raven's claws are a weak point, particuarly if you're doing hard duelling or otherwise hitting things with the blade really hard.
While testing out a mid-grade blade, the force of the swings and impacts bent one of the claws and stripped the threading on the screw hole of the hilt itself.
I managed to bend the claw back into shape, but there isn't enough thread left to reattach it.

I should stress that only the blade was being hit, not the hilt itself or the claws.

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -201

dark side points

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 11:52:44 PM »

glad you enjoy it
congrats to you fellow raven owner

i love hearing reviews of the raven especially from happy customers
it makes me feel happy and prideful about my own

Only in darkness can one see the true light.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: