Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Shock review  (Read 7940 times)
Amanita
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 39

« on: January 10, 2011, 05:37:19 PM »

Since I havn't seen one yet, I'm gonna post a review of the Shock saber.
I ordered this one during a recent sale when it was on for $99, down from its regular $139. And I can honestly say that at even at full price, it would have been worth every single penny. Now, I didn't get any of the extra bells and whistles like sound or RGB, just a simple guardian blue and ultra-edge blade.

You see, I've been wanting a clan saber for my Shaak Ti costume, and have recieved estimates ranging from $180-300 for a recreation. (The lowest estimate was from a sabersmith who subsequently developed a bad reputation for not delivering) But then Ultra came out with the Shock. Now, the Shock is not a recreation of the movie-used hilt. Although it looks like it was inspired by the design, there's enough differences to keep Uncle George from getting upset. Like the brushed aluminum finish, which I absolutely love, and the grooves machined into the hilt, with their smooth, rounded edges. Also, the pommel is a bit wider than the body of the hilt, serving as a bit of a "hand stop" when wielding it. Aside from the convertech button and the on/off switch, there are no extrenuous greeblies to get your hands caught up on while spinning or duelling. This is an improvement over the clan saber, which had a ton of bits and bobs protruding everywhichway. Now, I do plan at some point to take some gold paint to part of the emitter, to make it better match Shaak Ti's saber. But I can honestly say, that while this is not a clan saber recreation, it certainly makes an acceptable stand-in for anyone desiring that saber style for a costume. I know it will be the saber of choice for my own Shaak Ti outfit, that's for sure!

As for customization, this saber gives you options. The pommel and emitter ends are compatible with the offerings of The Custom Saber Shop, so you can swap them out or augment them with TCSS offerings for a totally unique look. A choke piece between the emitter and hilt, or different pommel might give it added character, as if it didn't have enough already.
I think of all my Ultra sabers, this one definately has the greatest "could have been used in the movies" look and feel.

As for feel, this is a very agile saber with a 36" ultra edge or midgrade blade. Not feather-light, but not heavy either. Between the "hand stop" pommel and the grooves in the hilt, I find it very comfortable to wield. And if you wanted to tweak the balance of this saber- perhaps counterbalancing a heavy grade blade, there's enough space in the pommel to add a little weight- perhaps a small stack of metal washers. (However, this won't work if you opted for sound in your saber, as the holes in the pommel cap let the sound out)

So, to entice (or tease) you, here's a couple of pics:

Lord_BoOgEyMaN
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -23

The Sith Shall Rise again!

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »

Nice review, im glad your love your saber, i see 2 other sabers in the background and they look like beasts, the hilts look 2 feet long O_O

Dark Initiate V2 (2) Blazing red

Amanita
Knight Captain

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:56:04 PM »

One of them- the one with the gold painting on the hilt is an oddball that I picked up when Ultrasabers were selling off a stack of sabers just hanging around their office.
I believe it's a prototype Omen, it's about 18" in length, give or take.
The other one was offered for sale here alongside the Archon and Nemesis, I can't remember what it's called. I was gonna review it, but it looks to have been discontinued. I think it's about 15" in length.

Darth_Greyloch
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:17:16 PM »

Cool, nice looking saber, thanks for posting.

My place is starting to look like that too, though unfortunately some of my stuff is in a different state. Fun! Smiley

Proud owner of: Phantom V2 (Fire Orange)
& Standard Issue (Adegan Silver)
Reviews: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=51.0
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=402.0

Darth Slater
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -8

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »

Nice review on the saber. Seeing these pics only reassure me that I made the right decision. I ordered a fully loaded Shock (RGB, with sound), so when I get it, I will be sure to post my own review on here as well. I already can't stand the anticipation, but nevertheless, I'll be patient.

Kaiser Xander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 04:06:22 AM »

You are phenomenal with detailed posts and review Amanita, excellent review. I shall determine to attempt to do the same with my reviews.

I wouldn't knock doing reviews on discontinued sabers. You never know, you may just inspire enough people so that Ultra Sabers with begin reproducing a saber. Smiley

Are those sai in the lower left corner?

Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegannt weapon, for a more...civilized age.

Amanita
Knight Captain

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 06:52:59 AM »

Those are indeed sai! I need to redo the hilt wrapping on one of them though, it's coming apart! That and get off my butt and practice with them, I have the instruction book.
Ultra DID say he wanted detailed reviews, so I aim to please when I post these, I'm glad they're proving helpful.

Dr. Richtofen
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

Imagination is more important than knowledge....

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 01:41:01 PM »

What saber form would this saber be classified as??

Nice saber!!

Reminds me of Adi Gallia's saber.

Amanita
Knight Captain

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 04:26:32 PM »

I always thought saber form referred to the manner in which the saber was used, more than the actual saber itself. But the fact that this does resemble the Shaak Ti/Adi Gallia saber was a selling point for me, as I'm working on a Shaak Ti costume. Well, I have a costume, but I want to improve it and make it better, and this saber really helps!

Kaiser Xander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 04:49:25 PM »

If you feel like it, I'm the folks here would love to see a picture of the finished of the finished costume. Smiley

Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegannt weapon, for a more...civilized age.

flamemaster13
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 01:36:48 AM »

Amazing saber  Shocked What is the battery pack like? As in does it rattle etc.?

Amanita
Knight Captain

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 05:57:02 PM »

The battery pack rattles just a bit, but that can be fixed easily enough by wrapping it in something, I imagine. Just havn't gotten around to doing it yet.

GreyGuardian
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »

Nice saber. Thinking about ordering one very similar.

Nice saber. Just ordered the same hilt and blade with blue anti-vandal switch and obsidian board. Should be here this Thursday. Will post a review when I get it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:19:00 PM by GreyGuardian » Logged

[l]_I_I_I_ll o l [lll]
Shock: GB, Obsidian, blue AV, Li-Ion
[=o=]_[ o ]_[_/
Prophecy: AS
[]llllllll  o  lllllllll [_][(
Bane: CG, Obsidian, green AV, Li-Ion, Quick disconnects

Well, I assure you, I see more grey than dark or light. I'm just a stubborn old man, tired of the foolishness of

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: