Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
Author Topic: New Saber: Ultrasabers Renegade  (Read 585715 times)
magik0012
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 107

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »

If it's possible, I've never heard of it. I work for an aluminum extruder, and we do anodizing all the time. We even offered US to quote them metal when my first saber came in.

Anyway, the first step in anodizing is an etching process. So if you have metal that is already anodized, the first color will be lost when you etch it for the second color. Now if you could anodize brass, that would be a different story. Then you could simply machine away the black that you don't want and have your black and gold-ish color scheme. But I don't foresee US using brass to make sabers anytime in the near or even distant future.

I've seen multi-color anodizing before.. or what I thought was multi-color anodizing.. so I assume its possible.. but I'm just a software desk jockey, so I could be wrong. Wink

<pause to google>

Yeah.. something like this..

http://kermaxx.com/products/anodized-aluminum-gas-cap-gold-black

But its probably a multi-step process.. hence more expensive..

Anyway.. the Renegade looks damn cool! I'm hoping I might be so lucky as to get one as my prize saber.. We'll find out in a 5 or 6 hours! Smiley

Never give up! Never surrender!

Archon v3 (Emerald RGBA + v4 sound), Graflex SE (GB + v3 sound), Chosen One SE (BR + v3 sound), Manticore (VA + v3 sound), Flamberge v2 (FO + v4 sound, dis-assembled and lightly kitbashed), 

Aeon LE v4 (stunt CG), Dark Prophecy x2 (being re-customized) (stunt BR & DVA or VA),

Dark Arbiter (Disassembled), Overlord (Disassembled)
Dark Liberator (BR w v3 sound - gifted away), Dark Sentinel LE v4 (AB w v3 sound - gifted away)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 04:32:52 PM »

I've seen multi-color anodizing before.. or what I thought was multi-color anodizing.. so I assume its possible.. but I'm just a software desk jockey, so I could be wrong. Wink

<pause to google>

Yeah.. something like this..

http://kermaxx.com/products/anodized-aluminum-gas-cap-gold-black

But its probably a multi-step process.. hence more expensive..

Anyway.. the Renegade looks damn cool! I'm hoping I might be so lucky as to get one as my prize saber.. We'll find out in a 5 or 6 hours! Smiley

Dream on brother.

However, you have got me theorizing on the multi-stage anod process. If you put a thick gold color on, say 0.7mil (.0007") and then did like a 0.4mil (.0004") or maybe just a 0.2mil black anod., you should be able to mill down the black to the deeper gold color. I completely forgot about the varying depths of penetration that were acheivable. However, crazy good looking finish will crazy repercussions on cost. Worth it every once in a while.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 06:42:50 PM »

Dream on brother.

However, you have got me theorizing on the multi-stage anod process. If you put a thick gold color on, say 0.7mil (.0007") and then did like a 0.4mil (.0004") or maybe just a 0.2mil black anod., you should be able to mill down the black to the deeper gold color. I completely forgot about the varying depths of penetration that were acheivable. However, crazy good looking finish will crazy repercussions on cost. Worth it every once in a while.

Alright, my anodizer says this can't be done. So I've sent a letter to Kermaxx. Hopefully the technique is not proprietary, and they will tell me. Then we can try persuading Deep to give this a run. But we'd have to get some serious buzz first.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »

Alternatively, US could spare a few of the silver/gold LEs from the machinist and release a few all-gold hilts. Then the end user could paint in the recesses with a black enamel.

We don't do any anodizing at my sign shop, but we do plenty of signs with painted engraved lettering. The trick to a clean edge is to just paint the recesses completely, if a bit sloppily, and then wipe up the excess with a rag damp with paint thinner. I figure the same process should work on an aluminum hilt, unless the paint thinner eats away at the dye in the anodized surface.

Lady Mineva
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 76

I rarely act my age.

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »

I think it would be interesting to see LE hilts machined opposite of normal.

Determination is my strength, patience is not always my virtue.
Initiate LE V4(SY) w/Sound "Chasm"

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2015, 03:07:18 AM »

Hey Logos.  I wasn't aware that you could be our go to person for anodizing advice.  Perhaps you have a saber that your co-worker can do something awesome to.   That you will share on the forum and drive the rest of us mad with envy.  Shocked  Cry

I really like the look of the silver Renegade but would like anodizing options in a dark red or deep purple.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:12:54 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2015, 04:18:38 AM »

So like silver but with black accents kinda like with the gold accents. Would be a cool new feature on all LE sabers actually

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2015, 01:25:37 PM »

Hey Logos.  I wasn't aware that you could be our go to person for anodizing advice.  Perhaps you have a saber that your co-worker can do something awesome to.   That you will share on the forum and drive the rest of us mad with envy.  Shocked  Cry

I really like the look of the silver Renegade but would like anodizing options in a dark red or deep purple.

I try. I've been trying to find somebody that could give me a nickle finish, let alone one that matches US nickel plate. Then I was going to put an order together to get a silver adjustable couple and certain parts of my Mantis CE (that way I can have an awesomely uniquie 2-tone). It's just finding a place that can do it without charging me an arm and a leg.

I'm also trying to find someone who can do a brite-dip gold anodize. If I succeed, I will endeaver to do like what Drahcir does, and hook people up with custom anod parts.

Sig by For Tyeth

digitalsithlord
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -165

Give into your Anger...Give me "Darkside" points..

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2015, 03:06:01 PM »

Just when I think my wallet was safe. This looks much better than the "other guys" cross guard.
Yeah and UltraSabers came out FIRST with the cross guard design.......beat the others guys by MONTHS!   This is why UltraSabers is so great.....they LISTEN to their customers.  Thanks Emory.  I really didn't like the first cross guard lightsaber, BUT this has my opinion changed...will definitely have to get this one at DragonCon this year!!

Lightsaber Arsenal:
Red Liberator - GB
Prophecy v2 - AS
Bellicose - BR
Archon V2.1 - CG
Crimson Reaper - BR
Dark Monarch -BR
Aeon v3 - SY
Malice - BR
Aeon v2 - AS
Dominix v2- VA
Dark War Glaive - DVA

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2015, 04:34:49 PM »

Yeah and UltraSabers came out FIRST with the cross guard design.......beat the others guys by MONTHS!   This is why UltraSabers is so great.....they LISTEN to their customers.  Thanks Emory.  I really didn't like the first cross guard lightsaber, BUT this has my opinion changed...will definitely have to get this one at DragonCon this year!!

I feel you on that note, even though I own a Flamberge CE Roll Eyes. I thought it was just going to be a one time thing so I figured, eh, why not? Then they do this to me. I'm not a fan of the crossguard varient. I believe it is inherently flawed. But this Renegade is just too damn fine to pass up.

Does anyone know if Forum colors are still available to request on the crossguard sabers? I would really like to get a Renegade in BH.

Sig by For Tyeth

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2015, 08:44:34 PM »

I feel you on that note, even though I own a Flamberge CE Roll Eyes. I thought it was just going to be a one time thing so I figured, eh, why not? Then they do this to me. I'm not a fan of the crossguard varient. I believe it is inherently flawed. But this Renegade is just too damn fine to pass up.

Does anyone know if Forum colors are still available to request on the crossguard sabers? I would really like to get a Renegade in BH.

Have to ask Emory but I don't think so.  At least in terms of the 2 side blades.  None of the mixed colors are available (VA, SRD etc.) so I am guessing not.

Sad

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2015, 09:19:05 PM »

Have to ask Emory but I don't think so.  At least in terms of the 2 side blades.  None of the mixed colors are available (VA, SRD etc.) so I am guessing not.

Sad

I think I just figured out why they are not. Premium and Forum colors, I think, all use resistors, making for difficult wiring. However Qui-Lar was in discussions with Emory about a DVA Flamberge, with no hint that it couldn't be done. I only remember him not being pleased with the color variation between the main and guard blades.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Drokma
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »

I've asked about forum colors and Emory send me an email saying that it can be done but the colors of the side blades may not match the main blade. I don't have the email any more or I would post what he told me. But ask before you order.

VeritasVS
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 12

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2015, 02:50:29 AM »

I want this so much! I would order it with 6 inch guard blades and a 32 inch blade to make it like a bastard sword! Consular green!

Drovan-zi Kurelas

Jedi Consular

Lady J
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 64

Nothing lasts forever...

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2015, 02:28:33 PM »

This looks so cool! I love the emitters. Adding it to the wish list

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: