Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: "Rebound": An Ultrasabers Customization  (Read 7654 times)
Aaedan Shan
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 13

« on: August 09, 2015, 05:31:03 AM »

Rebound
re·bound
verb
bounce back through the air after hitting a hard surface or object.

Hey everyone! Just here to show off my latest (and IMO greatest) custom saber, Rebound.

Being a total geek, I have a backstory for the character here, an extremely idealistic Light Side user who just suffered through the second Jedi Purge in his lifetime (very, very long story). I named this hence because this is the second saber he's built in this period of his life, and the character just recovered from severe depression after losing the Order a second time, a la Kota's drunkenness (blindfold and all). This is what he carries after he recovers; it's his Rebound. Plus, the name had a nice elastic feel to it, which works considering he's more acrobat than combatant at times.

Anyway, onto the saber!

Yes, your eyes (and my camera) deceive you, it isn't red. This is an Emerald saber, and I mixed this into what I consider the perfect orange: closer to red than FO is but still clearly orange to the naked eye. On camera, it shows up quite red unless it's contrasting with a BR saber.

Yep, I'm one of the weirdos who prefers D-rings. Tongue I used to be a Covertec guy, but I was rewatching Empire and something about the way Luke's saber hangs from his belt, and that sort of freedom it has to move was really drawing to me. Plus, I like the old style, at least for this guy, and a d-ring is about as old-school as you can get.

Quick comment on the body: weathering was done with aluminum black, and a lot of it. After letting that sit for a day or so, I gave it a once-over with a can of clear coat, let that sit for a day. Voila. No sanding or anything even needed on this one, and I'm quite proud of it actually.

And the front side. To get into the review-y part of this: when I was putting this custom together, I was looking for the proper base US to use. My next most-recent purchase had been my Sentinel in GB, and I gotta tell you it was so comfortable to wield I couldn't stop using it, and I'm not huge into blue at all. The Sentinel was a clear-cut choice for me: I love the emitter and overall style, it's weighted perfectly for me (I've got average-sized hands, I'm roughly six foot and about 140 so I'm not huge) and the grip was comfortable as they come to me. I have nothing but good things to say about the Sentinel, it's served me well in every duel thus far.

The grip is a strip of leather I stitched together myself. Just simple, five dollar leather from the craft store and some hemp as the thread. Holds together nicely, and gives a decent grip. Mostly importantly, it sets Rebound apart even further.

Close up on the emitter. I took a Krylon copper leafing pen to it, found that was easier than spray paint for such a tiny segment Tongue. Ignore that little blemish where you can see the gold, I noticed that uploading the photo and immediately touched it up. The thumbscrew, which you can barely see in the background, is what I'm using presently as a set screw. I tend to prefer thumbscrews as they're quicker to remove/add a blade on the go.

I think that about calls it done. Maybe once I get my act together I'll throw on my getup for this character and get some photos with it in hand. Catch you guys later!

LS points please!

"I'm not here to judge who's right; I'm just trying to do a little good."

~Rebound, Emerald Sentinel custom (Blood orange)
~Shortfall, Custom MHS build, (BR)
~Headmaster, grab bag Liberator (VA)
~Trailblazer, Shock custom (FO)
~Versatile, Aeon v2 LE (AS w/ discs)
~Unnamed Aeon v2 w/ extension (AB)
~Unnamed Sentinel v4 (GB)
~Unnamed Dark Initiate v2 (BR)

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 05:57:42 AM »

Nice work! Love the copper accents, looks amazing Smiley point

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 08:03:14 AM »

Love that the copper accents appear to match the leather grip.
Fun custom you got there, point for you.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Dogo
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 08:44:25 PM »

This looks great. I'm seeing a lot of the same things I want to do with my saber when it arrives.

Did you dry brush the aluminum black on there? How does the krylon hold up under the clear coat?

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:40:59 PM »

Really nice application of the aluminum black, but I wonder about *where* it was applied. Dirt would collect in the crevices, whereas raised surfaces and edges  would get more handling and have a polished metal look. The application here is sort of the opposite - raw crevices and black edges. The texture itself is really awesome, it just doesn't appear realistic.

Digging the leather grip. If you wanted to distress it to match the hilt, you could take a wire brush or some steel wool to emulate years of wear.

Aaedan Shan
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 13

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »

Thanks everyone!

This looks great. I'm seeing a lot of the same things I want to do with my saber when it arrives.

Did you dry brush the aluminum black on there? How does the krylon hold up under the clear coat?

I soaked little cotton rounds in aluminum black and applied it that way. After that, when I had some leftover I just held the saber over a sink, poured what was left over it (slow enough that it would stick), and then ran over it with another cotton round. The krylon's holding up great so far.

Really nice application of the aluminum black, but I wonder about *where* it was applied. Dirt would collect in the crevices, whereas raised surfaces and edges  would get more handling and have a polished metal look. The application here is sort of the opposite - raw crevices and black edges. The texture itself is really awesome, it just doesn't appear realistic.

Digging the leather grip. If you wanted to distress it to match the hilt, you could take a wire brush or some steel wool to emulate years of wear.

Thanks. Yeah, as I said I really just kinda let the aluminum black do its' own thing here. I just kinda poured it on, spun the hilt to ensure that it spread, and then let it work. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, but I agree now that you mention it, it doesn't appear realistic.

I very well might do that, have some steel wool lying around. More pics to come if I indeed do.

LS points please!

"I'm not here to judge who's right; I'm just trying to do a little good."

~Rebound, Emerald Sentinel custom (Blood orange)
~Shortfall, Custom MHS build, (BR)
~Headmaster, grab bag Liberator (VA)
~Trailblazer, Shock custom (FO)
~Versatile, Aeon v2 LE (AS w/ discs)
~Unnamed Aeon v2 w/ extension (AB)
~Unnamed Sentinel v4 (GB)
~Unnamed Dark Initiate v2 (BR)

Dogo
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 09:16:53 PM »

Even if it doesn't look grimy and dirty, it still looks a lot like a finish that got beat up from use.

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 02:15:12 AM »

Really like the detailing on the emitter! It definitely has that old relic feel to it while maintaining its elegance. Point.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:36:59 AM by sedstiskyfaller » Logged

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 02:29:32 AM »

Hi AS.  Nice customization and review.  The emitter copper leafing highlights with similar toned leather hilt wrap looks good.  I like the uneven stitching to give it that old worn look.  I wouldn't touch the black distressing as it will change as you use this saber unless you have applied a clear protective coating.  I would appreciate seeing the pommel end with the D - ring.  A well deserved point for you.   Cool

sol-kun
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 01:11:36 AM »

Awesome customization!
I should be getting my Sentinel any day now and your saber is quite inspiring.
I see a lot of people use thumbscrews and plan to pick one up from Ebay or something as I cant for the life of me find them in any hardware stores here in Australia.
I have read the thread is 8/32 but have not seen anything about what length is recommended or does it not matter so much?

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 01:41:19 AM »

Nice. Can't agree more about the D-Ring Tongue I might have to get me one for my Overlord too

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

JukeLake777
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »

I'm in the process of completing my custom Sentinel as well, but I'm stuck on attaching a d-ring identical to yours, how did you prepare the pommel for the attachment of the d-ring? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

- Stunt Sentinel v4/Adegan Silver
- Stunt Dark Sentinel LE v4/Blazing Red
- Stunt Dominix LE v4/Violet Amethyst
- Stunt Dominix v4/Pyrestone Orange

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: