Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Review of the Chosen One SE  (Read 14535 times)
hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« on: August 12, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »

If you are interested in this iconic saber design or have a liking to the Darth Vader character, look no further than this US lightsaber.  The Chosen One is a legit cannon inspired hilt.
I was fortunate(and very grateful!) to have won the 2015 summer raffle emerald prize, and this was one of my prize selections.  I opted for the Emerald RGBW, obsidian V4 sound, and a black finish non-illuminated AV switch.

This will be a pic heavy review as there is so much to cover with such a detailed lightsaber design.  This isn't a review of the emerald driver or the V4 sound card but of the Chosen One itself.

My favorite part of this lightsaber is the emitter.  A major standout with this hilt is how the blade appears to originate from "within" the emitter, with no contact to the upper edge of it.  In my mind this gives the most realistic appearance of a real blade ignition.  Just stunning!  The emitter is all metal as you'd expect; painted a matte black to give it that plastic look to emulate the movie prop.

The red blade in all it's Sith glory!

From the slant in the emitter, to the box style backing and the "bar" that mates with the bottom of the emitter...there is a lot going on and a lot to like!  The two silver screw in the bar(as I'll call it)are different from each other and also have different textured edges.  The top silver screw holds the emitter in place with the bar coming up to prevent any rotation left or right.  But believe me, the emitter ain't moving.  Then the first hex screw serves as blade retention.  The second silver screw and bottom hex screw secure the bar to the hilt body. 

In general I'm not a fan of windows, so I opted for the blade holder with lines(no windows).  With the machined holes in the body, to the blade holder with it's silver cut lines...the detail of the Chosen One continues nicely into the main section of the hilt.  ALL the screws under the emitter help to secure the blade holder in place.  But thankfully just releasing the main blade retention hex screw allows easy blade change out.

I have always admired the activation box design from the OT and having it on this hilt is icing on the cake.  Very stylish and oh so classic.  I decided on a silver box to balance the black/silver on the hilt(personal preference) and took the opportunity to try the new black switch US now offers.  I really like it, it matches well with the theme as a whole IMO and is just another detailed step you can take to customize the Chosen One your own way.

The lever on the activation box is a little blocky in appearance but a nice feature.  The screw holding it can be loosened to change the angle of it  or you can remove it all together; which is what I'd do for extended duelling(I'll get into that in a bit).  For the most part I leave it on.  And the sleeve wrapped around the body is awesome, smooth and stylish!

The grips at the bottom are made of plastic and do a good job to emulate the wiper grips used on the original.  They are a hard plastic but have smooth edges all around so in general provide a comfortable hand hold.  This is obviously the widest part of the body, and if you have smaller hands this might be a bit of a challenge to grip over extended use.

The pommel is indeed a nice design.  I've heard from others that the Chosen One/Graflex are a bit louder than usual.  I don't know what it is exactly that makes it like that, but I would agree that this is a LOUD lightsaber.   

At first I had trouble admitting to myself...that the Chosen One has it's challenges when it comes to heavy duelling.  And of course this has to do with how much detail has gone into making this hilt stand out the way that it does.  With specified hand placement you can sure spin this bad boy and play around with it and enjoy some light duelling.  But unless you wear padded gloves or are ok with constantly re-adjusting your hand grip I would not recommend getting the Chosen One with the intent to use it for HEAVY duelling.  Other wise, in all honesty you potentially risk hurting your hands under hard contact.  I took a few shots as an example of where I found it most comfortable to spin the Chosen One and where I hold it for LIGHT duelling.

You can use a two handed grip, but with such specific hand placement it makes for really tight ergonomics.

In all I am so happy to have the Chosen One!  I would absolutely recommend this hilt, beautiful design, quality craftsmanship and classic SW heritage.  It has really held up to what I expected it to be.  Thank you US!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »

Great review, just makes me want to get one of these even more.
I had always suspected it wouldn't be a great dueler, but its design certainly makes up for that.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 08:50:06 PM »

Hearing the emitter shroud is metal makes me a bit disappointed it isn't available in a raw finish. The saber could easily double-duty as Anakin's AotC hilt.

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 09:52:24 PM »

Amazing review. I always wondered the bulkiness off the saber as well as the "t grips" on the bottom half of the hilt

The Sith send their regards

Thorbs
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 12:43:54 AM »

Nice review! That is one nice looking saber. Glad to know it's limits for dueling or spinning, but it would still be cool to have. Point awarded.

Light side points...not

Dark Menace OBS v4 FO
Dark Initiate v4 Stunt BR

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:44:37 AM »

Very nice saber. I like it even more now and is on my top want list =] Think I'll just go for original Sithy red blade for mine after all Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 01:55:10 AM »

Ugggh, look at that thing.  I totally appreciate the views of the hilt.  Gods, I want this saber so badly!!  I just can't be a proper Anakin without it.  Yeah, yeah, I know the Graflex is "technically" Anakin's saber, but this one is just cooler. 

pvcaddict
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -12

Welcome to Empire Market.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 02:10:12 AM »

The Chosen One was ultimately the saber that got me addicted to US. It was my very first purchase here, and it's still my most prized saber. The machining and design is absolutely elegant. I completely agree with you regarding the aspect of dueling; it's definitely a little too bulky for heavy contact. Of course, not that you'd want to damage such a pretty piece anyway!

When I purchased my Chosen One, I also picked up the extra blade holder with windows. It's definitely worth it if you want something a little more personalized every now and then.

Also, your silver activation box with black A/V switch is a most impressive combination. Great look!

Awesome photos, and great thread! I always enjoy seeing coherent and intelligent posts.
+1 to you, Hazard!

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 02:13:44 AM »

Now, now Nox don't hate on the Graflex.
 Tongue

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 02:13:57 AM »

Outstanding review my friend, and excellent pics showing all the detail........ worthy of more than just 1 point.......  Grin

OK..... this baby is Emerald...... may I ask for some pic requests in different blade colours?...... especially DVA & SRD....... pretty please?  Cool

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 03:04:34 AM »

Thanks everyone.  It's definitely a fine piece of work(again, credit to US hard work) and major eye candy to boot, though it may not be for all enthusiasts .  And yes, it's much cooler than the Gralfex Cool Tongue  But hey, the Graflex is tight as well. Cheesy

JediXIX I'm all for blade color requests...(and I haven't forgotten about the Consular/Shock my friend no worries Grin)

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 03:28:15 AM »

OK..... this baby is Emerald...... may I ask for some pic requests in different blade colours?...... especially DVA & SRD....... pretty please?  Cool

Nice review & Saber!  Point awarded for that effort. . .

This may come as a surprise given the Avatar & Name - but I'm really a Graflex man myself.  Or, I will be next saber.  And stuff. 

But this is fantastic too and I'll eventually be getting it in Tri-Cree Red, of course.

Sorry Jedi - but if we're ever at a Chosen One Convention and I'm chatting with all the other Sith Lords, casually talking about our Red-bladed Beauties over Whiskey Old Fashioned's and you walk in with a CO in SRD, causing the whole room to go silent and stare - well, sorry but I'm going to have to Force choke the crap out of you from across the room before anyone realizes you know me.   Embarrassed

I mean, really!  What if they all thought I was OK with that sort of thing!

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 03:39:55 AM »

Now, now Nox don't hate on the Graflex.
 Tongue

I would never do such a thing.   Tongue  I just . . . well.  You guys remember my "I am the Chosen One" story, right?  Riiiiggght.  It's only fitting that I have this one.  Cheesy

And just LOOK at it! 

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 03:41:40 AM »

Hey Haz.  Nice review.  Actually had to take my glasses off to see those huge photos.  I just don't think that those plastic hilt grips can be comfortable so will never " choose " this one or the Graflex.  Guess feels good if Sith gloves on ( hint to keep that blade red in public ).  Before I give you a point I will wait to see a better signature photo.  What are you... an out of focus something or miniature green Ninja Turtle ?   he  Grin  he
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:45:02 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

tycchan1
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -9

Sith North

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 03:42:06 AM »

Very nice review, thank you! Smiley

Saber w/ Sound:
Chosen One CE (BR, FoC, Obsidian v4, 4-Channels Emerald Driver)
The Guardian (GB, FoC, Obsidian v3)
Consular (CG, FoC, Obsidian v3)
Dark Shock (BR, FoC, Obsidian v3)
The Monarch (SRD, FoC Obsidian v3)
Archon v2.1 (AB/CG, FoC, Obsidian v3)
Dark Arbiter (BR, FoC, Obsidian v3)
The Malice (GB, FoC, Obsidian v3)

Saber Staff:
Menace (BR, FoC, Obsidian v4, 4-Channels Emerald Driver)
Scorpion (1st half: BR, FoC, Obsidian v3, 2nd half: BR, FoC, Obsidian v3, 2-Channels Emerald Driver)
Phantom V3 (VA, FoC, Obsidian v3)

Stunt Saber:
Initiate LE V3 
Aeon LE V3

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: