Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian issues in Windows 10  (Read 14669 times)
Mdroid
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: August 15, 2015, 11:23:01 PM »

Seeing as the operating system is still new and I haven't seen any other topics related to this... I had updated to Windows 10 just before I ordered my first saber earlier this week. Having just received it today, I wanted to familiarize myself with adjusting the fonts and tweaking the sound. However, my enthusiasm faded a bit once I tried to open Obsidian for the first time on my laptop. I told it to run as administrator, but once I made the confirmation, it never did anything. I've tried this several times to no avail. I managed to make it work on another household laptop still running on Windows 7, but of course I can't expect someone else to maintain my programs and files for me when they have their own to handle. Any assistance for making Obsidian work on Windows 10 or a patch would be very appreciated.

Owner of:
Scorpion with Sound
Catalyst with Obsidian Lite Sound
Dark Initiate V4 Stunt Saber

justmutantjed
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 10

I prefer to stay close to neutral.

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:39:57 AM »

Yet another victim of Windows 10. Sorry.
A lot of my stuff stopped working altogether when I "upgraded". I've heard a suggestion that you may be able to run some sort of "Compatibility Mode", although how one goes about doing so is far beyond my competence. I went back to Windows 8.1 and have not regretted it one bit.

There are neither light or dark side; The Force is a vast and beautiful rainbow. I would seek neutrality and balance in and through the Force.
Sabers owned:
Shock with RGBW Emerald (SRD, Pulse: EG, FoC: AB) and Obsidian v4 Sound, Recharge Port, non-illuminated AV Switch.
Dark Catalyst in Blazing Red w/ Red-illuminated AV Switch and Obsidian V3 Sound.
Dominix LE v3 in Adegan Silver (standard setup).

Rayrox222
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »

Yep same issue for my obsidian v4 dominix.  Primary windows 10 comp only recognizes the emerald driver so I have to use my old laptop with windows 7 to customize the sound board

Obi-Juan
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 07:50:07 PM »

I think that I have found a workaround, be right back!   Grin

OK here you go. It has worked for me.

Obsidian Launcher V4 in Windows 10 Workaround

1.   Plug in your saber while it is Off. Win10 makes a “device detected” sound and a blurb appears in the lower right of the screen.
2.   Right Click on the Launcher icon and select Troubleshoot Compatibility.  Click Troubleshoot Program.
3.   The window changes to give you four options. Check the box for the first option; it reads “The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won’t install or run now.” Click Next
4.   The window now asks “Which version of Windows did this program work on before?” and shows you a list of Windows operating systems going back a long time.
5.   Select Windows 7 and click Next
6.   The window has a button in it labeled “Test the Program” click that, the V4 Launcher should come on. Make sure that the launcher has time to stabilize. (just a few seconds)
7.   Turn on your saber. It should read it.

Caveats: I’ve had to do this Everytime I connect the saber. Also, even if you “Save the settings” in the Troubleshooting Wizard it doesn’t work on my computer. Maybe I need an update. 
Anyway, that’s all I have, thanks guys. Good Luck
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:07:55 PM by Obi-Juan » Logged

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 08:24:21 PM »

There's a much simpler solution: use a USB hub on an USB 2.0 port. This solves most of the issues regarding the detection of the Obsidian sound board - also on Win 8(.1)!

Anyway, always make sure you stick to the procedure "Turn the saber on - plug in - start Launcher program". Any other sequence may cause new connection and /or saber issues!

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Obi-Juan
Force Sensitive

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 08:27:48 PM »

Oh.......now to go find a USB hub...... Embarrassed

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 08:42:49 PM »

Any computer and electronics store should have one...it doesn't have to be a high-end model Wink

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Antron007
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 35

Give light or dark points and let the force decide

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 08:14:14 PM »

I was already on Windows 10 when I got my saber and it took a little playing with it to figure out exactly what steps I had to take.

When I first loaded the software it told me it needed to update and I couldn't find a shortcut to it on my desktop or in the start menu so I found it at C:\Program Files (x86)\UltraSabers\UltraSabers_Launcher\MaintenanceTool.exe and ran it as administrator. It was a simple process and I don't recall having any issues with it.

Then my saber came and it took me a few times to figure out the exact process that I'll share now.

1. I start with the cable already plugged into my computer.
2. With the saber off plug the cable in to the board I want to use.
3. Run the software as administrator.
4. Click the Connect (auto) button.
5. Turn the saber on.

When uploading fonts and changing blade colors I like to disconnect the saber and give it a once over. Especially to really get a good sense of the pulse. BE SURE TO ALWAYS go back to the MAIN tab and CLICK ON DISCONNECT. Failing to do so will eventually give you all sorts of issues when trying to reconnect. You may have to unplug the cable from both ends (for some reason but trust me I was thorough with my trouble shooting) and close the software the restart from step 1. I once had to reboot my computer but that could have been my computer sucks sometimes.

Anyway, I did't realize this was an issue or I would have posted this somewhere else sooner.

I also gave a point to Obi-Juan for his fix. I didn't have to use it but it's very good info and deserves the points. You should all toss some his way for that piece of info.

Sabers I own: Customized Archon V3* (Emerald w/ v4 Sound), Ordered with PYO, Currently set to GB; Customized Dark Initiate LE v4 (Stunt) CG; Apprentice V4 (Grab Bag w/ li-ion) BR; Graflex SE (Emerald w/ v4 Sound), Ordered with GB, Currently set to GB; Menace SE* (DIY); TBD;

*Hilts I swap the electronics between.

Sabers/Hilts I want: Guardian, Chosen One SE, Consular, Dark Omen, the rest of them in no particular order.

"If you don't see me somewhere out there in the Galaxy slaying some form of evil, it's because I'm sneaking up on you right now." - Antron Mok

Obi-Juan
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 12:35:22 AM »

After I set Windows to see the Obsidian board using Windows 7 settings, it has been working just fine.

gig_nova
Force Sensitive

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 06:30:18 PM »

Having same issues with USB device not being recognized.  Only have Windows 10 PC's in the house and all have USB 3 ports.  So far have only tried programming my new saber with my laptop and worked through all the steps here and in other posts none have worked so far.  It seems Ultra Sabers might need a good Business Analyst to develop their I.T. requirements in order to pass those on to a good software developer. Who can get Windows 10 and USB 3 ports to be recognized with the sound card and emerald driver. Wink
That's what I do for a living...  In any case my next step is to see if I can possibly get this working on another pc in the house.

Thanks for posting the troubleshooting steps in any case.

Nova

AngryDave
Force Sensitive

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 07:45:01 PM »

I finally got it to work on my Windows 10 machine.  I have a Scorpion saber with Emerald and Obsidian v4.  I could get the Emerald to connect and change colors, but the Obsidian v4 wouldn't connect.  My computer is brand new and only has USB 3 ports.  I tried several of the suggested steps, but couldn't get it to connect.  I ended up buying a USB 2 hub and was finally successful.  I have plug it in with the saber off, then turn it on to get it to connect.  Now it's time to play with the sounds.

Antron007
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 35

Give light or dark points and let the force decide

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 09:20:59 PM »

Glad to hear you found a solution.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sabers I own: Customized Archon V3* (Emerald w/ v4 Sound), Ordered with PYO, Currently set to GB; Customized Dark Initiate LE v4 (Stunt) CG; Apprentice V4 (Grab Bag w/ li-ion) BR; Graflex SE (Emerald w/ v4 Sound), Ordered with GB, Currently set to GB; Menace SE* (DIY); TBD;

*Hilts I swap the electronics between.

Sabers/Hilts I want: Guardian, Chosen One SE, Consular, Dark Omen, the rest of them in no particular order.

"If you don't see me somewhere out there in the Galaxy slaying some form of evil, it's because I'm sneaking up on you right now." - Antron Mok

kingbing1989
Force Sensitive

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 09:45:55 PM »

I just did these steps, and it worked...why, I don't know, but it just connected. I already switched the compatibility to Win7 and it did nothing. That's just weird. But I digress... I have a very different issue now...the Emerald driver doesn't let me test or change the color. Now, I know I don't have a single color saber - I made sure I configured the saber for 4-channel Emerald when I bought the sabers (I do have two of the same saber). My batteries are fully charged as well. Anyone have this problem and any ideas on how to fix it?

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 12:10:23 AM »

I just did these steps, and it worked...why, I don't know, but it just connected. I already switched the compatibility to Win7 and it did nothing. That's just weird. But I digress... I have a very different issue now...the Emerald driver doesn't let me test or change the color. Now, I know I don't have a single color saber - I made sure I configured the saber for 4-channel Emerald when I bought the sabers (I do have two of the same saber). My batteries are fully charged as well. Anyone have this problem and any ideas on how to fix it?

You have both the Emerald and Obsidian boards, yes? There are two ports, one on each board. Are you sure you have it plugged into the Emerald board when you're trying to change colors?

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

kingbing1989
Force Sensitive

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 07:25:03 PM »

...oh...I had no idea that Emerald USB was there...its tucked in between the two boards and I thought they'd be integrated. I did not know they were two different boards...derp. Thanks, I'll give it a try later.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: