Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: black blade with emerald  (Read 18249 times)
kav2001c
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »

Those don't actually appear to be star based LEDs that are used in lightsabers, but instead are what are used for gigantic displays, like in Times Square or those ads you see on the highway. Now that would be something, a blade that was actually a display screen.

Even still, if you used one those it's not going to create a black lightsaber with a black core and white corona. Truthfully, Photonic is the only person I have seen to create the illusion of the black blade and white corona that people want.

Sorry no idea what a "star based" LED means? But ok I just google'd to find that one
Point being if black LEDs actually exist (where power makes them more black, not absence or power) then it seems you could build a black blade

I think the dual colour (white corona) seems far more difficult to make

Owned:
Dark Reaper with Obsidian v3 + Emerald RGBW + Adegan Silver Switch
Dark Initiate LE v3 - Violet

Want:
Manticore or Scorpion? Electrum Wind. Lost Grey.
Diamond

Sarich Belmont
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 54

I am legend.

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 02:04:28 PM »

Sorry no idea what a "star based" LED means? But ok I just google'd to find that one
Point being if black LEDs actually exist (where power makes them more black, not absence or power) then it seems you could build a black blade

I think the dual colour (white corona) seems far more difficult to make

The problem with that is that while it certainly appears blacker, it isn't actually creating "black light", because that is a thing that doesn't exist(well, technically it does, but those are purple.), which means it wouldn't illuminate a blade at all, and what little it would illuminate would most likely be white.

"I don't aim to be like you, Master, not at all. I aim to be better." Jacen Sarich, then-Padawan. (From my old Star Wars D20 days.)

Under Construction...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 03:02:21 PM »

The problem with that is that while it certainly appears blacker, it isn't actually creating "black light", because that is a thing that doesn't exist(well, technically it does, but those are purple.), which means it wouldn't illuminate a blade at all, and what little it would illuminate would most likely be white.

Although, Blacklight purple would make a pretty color for a blade.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Sarich Belmont
Knight Commander

I am legend.

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »

Although, Blacklight purple would make a pretty color for a blade.

It is neat looking, the problem though is that they are crazy dim when used as a single LED star.

"I don't aim to be like you, Master, not at all. I aim to be better." Jacen Sarich, then-Padawan. (From my old Star Wars D20 days.)

Under Construction...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2015, 05:05:08 PM »

It is neat looking, the problem though is that they are crazy dim when used as a single LED star.

They're crazy dim in any bulb state you make them.

But I never got a reply from my surmise that the black LEDs you spoke of produced a light similar to that of a blank TV or monitor.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Sarich Belmont
Knight Commander

I am legend.

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »

They're crazy dim in any bulb state you make them.

But I never got a reply from my surmise that the black LEDs you spoke of produced a light similar to that of a blank TV or monitor.

If you have the patience, you could make a string blade out of a whole bunch of 5mm ones, that would be brighter.

Under Construction...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 03:09:02 AM »

If you have the patience, you could make a string blade out of a whole bunch of 5mm ones, that would be brighter.

That's alright. I'll just play around with my emerald saber. You still haven't answered me on what a black LED looks like.

Sig by For Tyeth

Sarich Belmont
Knight Commander

I am legend.

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 02:39:17 PM »

That's alright. I'll just play around with my emerald saber. You still haven't answered me on what a black LED looks like.

Uh, I'm not the one that posted the link to that, that was someone else. From what he posted, it looks like it was a screen of LEDs, not an individual LED star LED. A single one of those is very, very small, nowhere near big enough or bright enough to illuminate a blade. It would be like using the blank screensaver on your computer and sticking a blade up to it, little to no illumination, which is a test you can easily do at home. It would not create a solid black beam up the blade tube, because that isn't how light works.

Under Construction...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 02:48:52 PM »

Those don't actually appear to be star based LEDs that are used in lightsabers, but instead are what are used for gigantic displays, like in Times Square or those ads you see on the highway. Now that would be something, a blade that was actually a display screen.

Even still, if you used one those it's not going to create a black lightsaber with a black core and white corona. Truthfully, Photonic is the only person I have seen to create the illusion of the black blade and white corona that people want.

Right here.

Uh, I'm not the one that posted the link to that, that was someone else. From what he posted, it looks like it was a screen of LEDs, not an individual LED star LED. A single one of those is very, very small, nowhere near big enough or bright enough to illuminate a blade. It would be like using the blank screensaver on your computer and sticking a blade up to it, little to no illumination, which is a test you can easily do at home. It would not create a solid black beam up the blade tube, because that isn't how light works.

I figured as much, but it was worth the asking.

Sig by For Tyeth

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »

The video of that thing is really cool.  It makes me think of like a lightsaber chainsaw.

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 04:08:50 PM »

Ok I bite
If you can purchase black LEDs why can you not create a black blade?
I admit you would need to build your own custom saber (since at this time US does not sell black LEDs) but it can be done

As an example:
http://www.diamond-vision.com/images/uploads/documents/Product_Information0115.pdf

Sign industry guy chiming in. Those definitely aren't LEDs that produce "black light" - they're RGB LED units that are black when off. Helps bump up contrast when displaying images during the day by not reflecting light over shadows of the image.

As for making a black blade, when it comes to color mixing, there's no such thing as "black light" Black isn't a color, but rather the lack of any colored light. It's why when you set Emerald software to black, the blade doesn't light up.

That's not to say the effect can't be accomplished, but it's not going to happen by mixing light. You'll need to play around with some optical illusions to get the look.

As has been posted already in this thread, for the Force Unleashed UV blade, currently your two options are a set of spinning lights in a delicate spinning apparatus (very neat build, by the by) or lining the blade with a cross-hatching of polarized film that's apparently ridiculously expensive and only available to TV screen manufacturers.

Pre Vizsla styled blades are a bit simpler. Flat polycarbonate blade with the sides masked off with black vinyl or paint. I usually see thick acrylic blades that'll shatter if you battle, or thick polycarbonate blades that light up a bit dimly. I'm personally starting to wonder about a flat, hollow polycarbonate blade stuffed with diffuser to try and bump up the brightness - would need to be machined in sections and then solvent-welded together, or maybe just a regular tube blade heat-formed into a flatter shape... But it's an idea.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 04:33:42 PM »

A little off topic, but I accidentally discovered a cool way to give off the "unstable" look. If you can lightly crinkle the inner layer of film within the blade, the light bends and reflects around it looking very neat. Unfortunately, it dims the light. I wonder if the new Tri-Crees could handle that kind of interference and still fully light the blade.

Sig by For Tyeth

Saber Rake
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 24

Light Side points please!

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2015, 11:36:28 PM »

I actually have two different plans for how to make a black blade, one being a cracked, Pre Visla style look, the other being a white edges FU blade, however, I'm not ready to reveal these designs until more experimentation has been done, and, if they work well, I check to see if any company wants to buy the design from me or something. XD

"I'm not testing you, Obi-Wan. Life tests you! Every day it brings you new chances for triumph or defeat. And if you pass the test, it doesn't make you a Jedi. It makes you human."
―Qui-Gon Jinn, to Obi-Wan Kenobi

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2015, 11:39:43 PM »

I actually have two different plans for how to make a black blade, one being a cracked, Pre Visla style look, the other being a white edges FU blade, however, I'm not ready to reveal these designs until more experimentation has been done, and, if they work well, I check to see if any company wants to buy the design from me or something. XD

That's why we're here. What are we if not dreamers?

Sig by For Tyeth

Saber Rake
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 24

Light Side points please!

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 11:50:35 PM »

That's why we're here. What are we if not dreamers?
Ehhhm, I'm just not sure I wanna post the designs for everyone to see, if anyone gets the black blade first I'd rather it be Ultra, and not some company who found it on their forums and finished their stuff first.

"I'm not testing you, Obi-Wan. Life tests you! Every day it brings you new chances for triumph or defeat. And if you pass the test, it doesn't make you a Jedi. It makes you human."
―Qui-Gon Jinn, to Obi-Wan Kenobi

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: