Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Fully US big custom with crystal chamber  (Read 2529 times)
firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« on: August 25, 2015, 05:44:05 AM »

So have me some spare parts from the cross section of a flamberge and I've decided to turn it into a crystal chamber for a "light club" I am planning to build as soon as I can get the funds together. I will be connecting two Scorpions to make one long handle. The flamberge cross piece I plan to install in place of the Scorpion emitter ( I know the claw and the Cross head will need minor modifications).

I will mount the cross head vertical instead of horizontal and use two flamberge emitters to mount a crystal between them. The main LED will be installed in front of that and I want my blade Violet Amethyst. I will install a second LED under the crystal.

Here is where I want some opinions. I was thinking of using a real amethyst for the crystal and lighting it with Adegan Silver to appear as if the crystal changed to raw light to the color of the blade. What does anyone think of this?  And does any one having any suggestions that might look better?

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »

Hi.  This all sounds interesting but without photos am having a challenge picturing this.  Perhaps you could line up the parts or make a sketch of your ideas.  Regarding the Amethyst crystal, it likely should be of a good quality quartz more lavender or violet shade for better light diffusion.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 04:47:17 PM »

OK this is the general Idea. It will have a different emitter which I do not yet have and the parts will be modified to fit the claw. IMG_9574 by Firehand10k, on Flickr
IMG_9576 by Firehand10k, on Flickr

The little Flamberge emitter will be moved into the open hole to hold the crystal while another emitter I will chose will go on to hold the blade.
I'm not sure how much I need to worry about light diffusion. I will put one LED in the normal placement for the Scorpion and a second up in the side blade LED holder form the Flamberge The blade will not go down through as shown here. I think I want the crystal to stick out the side just a bit one the back so the claw looks there to guard it (not against battle but just miscellaneous occurrences).
My current plan is the VA LED up in the crossguard extension and AS inside the body as on a normal Scorpion.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 05:05:47 PM »

Wow that does look interesting.  Will look forward to the completed project.   Cool

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 07:46:32 AM »

Wow firehand10k, this sounds like an awesome project..... and with 2 Scorpion hilts + the Flamberge bits it will be HUGE  Shocked

I would guess the colour of the crystal won't give enough colour to light up the way you want if you used an AS LED below it, just a guess tho..... I have a couple of LED bases that I sit a large crystal on top of, and the colour of the LED's determine the light up effect, mind you my crystals are mainly white quartz.... Best bet would be to take a saber with AS LED with you when crystal shopping, with no blade and shine thru the crystal to see how it looks..... even with a real amethyst coloured crystal I would guess it would still look very white with AS..... perhaps take a VA along too, just to compare......

I'm only going off what I'm guessing tho..... I have seen those salt crystals that are different colours with white LED's illuminating them.....

Also, I'd guess the flatter the bottom of the crystal is, at the connection to the LED module, with the least amount of light leakage, would give the best illumination.....

I also look forward to seeing how you go with this....... lots of pics would be very much appreciated........ cheers +1  Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 08:15:17 AM »

I'm not trying to use the crystal to really color the beam. I'm going to create an illusion. The AS LED I'm thinking of goes below the crystal to just light it up. Then a VA LED goes above the crystal to light the blade.  As if its just raw light pumped into the crystal which then creates the beam.
I'm also toying with the idea of a third LED in the lower scorpion on a timer to appear to vent excess energy out the windows in there.
I might like yo take a white light to see how the crystals look lit though. Make sure it won't make some kind of refraction I don't want. Thanks.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Swimmie
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

The Force will be with you. Always.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 11:30:59 PM »

This sounds like a bold plan that will turn out very nicely. I too look forward to LOTS of pictures.  Grin

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:45:57 AM »

Sadly its going to take me quite a while to save up for the 2 Scorpions. I have been playing with some parts today and think I figured out how I want the back (side away from the claw) on my crystal chamber.
IMG_0289 by Firehand10k, on Flickr

Its the bottom piece from a scorpion emitter used like a cap. I'll have to file off the tabs that go around the spikes normally but that's easy. I am also considering going way more unconventional with the bottom end of the build. It I can find the right sound I am thinking of making a sort of blaster end opposite the blade. I know its heresy (unless you're Ezra) to combine a saber and blaster but it fits my (developing) character rather well.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 01:47:14 AM »

I'm definitely interested to see where this build goes. This hilt sounds like it's going to be gigantic.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

magik0012
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 107

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 02:04:49 AM »

Definitely keep at it!! I had a similar thought when I tore apart my Flamberge v2.. would love to see what you come up with!

Never give up! Never surrender!

Archon v3 (Emerald RGBA + v4 sound), Graflex SE (GB + v3 sound), Chosen One SE (BR + v3 sound), Manticore (VA + v3 sound), Flamberge v2 (FO + v4 sound, dis-assembled and lightly kitbashed), 

Aeon LE v4 (stunt CG), Dark Prophecy x2 (being re-customized) (stunt BR & DVA or VA),

Dark Arbiter (Disassembled), Overlord (Disassembled)
Dark Liberator (BR w v3 sound - gifted away), Dark Sentinel LE v4 (AB w v3 sound - gifted away)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: