Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Just a few questions...  (Read 878 times)
Moviefan2k4
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: August 30, 2011, 08:31:24 AM »

Hey, all. First time member, just looking for some answers...

1) How durable are those blades? If I'm gonna pay a few hundred bucks for one of these, I want to make very sure that I could swing it really hard at a brick wall, with no dents or breaking. Something with the strength of a metal baseball bat would be nice.

2) How resistant to "wear and tear" are the hilts? Do various configurations have different results?

3) How much electrical life can be expected from a single installation of the right batteries? Do certain brands last longer than others?

4) On a scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being equal to Marty McFly hitting that bookshelf), how loud are these things? Will I need to use them outdoors a lot, or can they be kept inside without aggravating people?

5) How accurate is the timing on the sound effects? I know nothing about complex electronics, so will the swing and clash noises register immediately?

6) What process would you use, to clean the hilts or blades if anything got on them? Would I need to be cautious about certain substances?

That's all for now - if I think of anything else, I'll post. Hello again to everyone here, and I look forward to chatting!

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:20:09 AM »

Ok lets see, I guess the best way to start this would be to break it down into two possibilities for you.  I understand your desire to spend your money wisely, so let me explain the possibilities:

1.  Stunt saber - metal hilt saber machined from aircraft aluminum with your choice of blade.  From what you're looking for I would go with heavy grade or Ultraedge heavy grade... those are friggin sturdy as hell, most people say you can safely battle against actual bokken or even trees.  These sabers range in price from $65 to $130

2.  Sound saber - also metal hilt, more modular (possibly MHS so you can switch out parts at will) and equipped with Obsidian sound.  This is sound that you can change at will using different "sound fonts."  Not only this, but you can change many settings including sensitivity and volume I believe.  For the money, I'm gonna go ahead and say this is the best board out there - there are more high end boards, but I will say that the price ramps up quickly.  The Obsidian board itself is installed in your saber for $75, with a light up switch for a little bit more.  These sabers start as low as $185 for the currently on sale Bellicose with JUST the Obsidian sound and go up to as much as you want to spend really.

My recommendation is, if you want a very durable saber with very good sound and some cool features, dedicate around $300 or so to one of these sabers.  It seems like a lot, but when you really end up getting the saber you will end up using it all the time, believe me these things are awesome.  For that price you can get the Obsidian sound along with a light up AV switch in one of three colors (which is a very cool feature), pretty much your choice of hilt, and the Li-Ion battery setup (which is HIGHLY recommended by the owner, Ultra). 

Ultrasabers fills the niche market of affordable, battle ready sabers and with the new Obsidian board it even allows for some great sound options.  You won't be disappointed with your purchase here.  Good luck!

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:44:43 PM »

1) DURABLE. They will scratch a little from time to time, and dent slightly, but they really are tanks and will withstand almost anything short of being hit with a fireman's axe. Smiley

2) Very resistant to wear and tear. They will wear over time and use, scratch and dent slightly if dropped (they are aluminum), but are INCREDIBLY durable and can take punishment that would likely shred your typical store bought Hasbro FXs.

3) Depends on the batteries, but I understand the recommended lith Ions will last about an hour, maybe 2. I have some rechargable Energizers that last a good long while, though the blade does dim somewhat as they start to die. Not very badly though.

4) I'd rate Obsidian's volume about a 3.5 to 4. It's loud enough that you can use it outside (near a freeway no less!) and still hear it, but you can turn it on and still talk to your opponent without raising your voice. AKA, you turn it on in your room while someone is watching TV in the living room, odds are you won't really be bugging them TOO much. Grin

5)Pretty accurate to your swings and hits, and it is easily adjustable on your computer to fit your personal preferences.

6) I'd just use a little windex or pledge on a rag and wipe em' down, but I'd never really actually had to clean mine. Plus I like the slightly dirty look as it makes them feel more real to me. Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Moviefan2k4
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:23:31 PM »

OK, here's another one: what arrangement of parts would I need, for a hilt that's as close to "screen accurate" as possible, for Luke's from Episode 4? Also, which of the blue blades would be better constructed for it?

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »

Well, there's nothing really super close in the US line except for the ROTS Anakin Ultra FXs, and the Prophecy line. Personally, I'd take either of those in a heartbeat. Perhaps see if you can get Obsidian put in an Ani or the Proph via the CSO division. And going for a Luke Ep IV means you'd want Arctic Blue. Smiley Hope that helps!

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: