Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Working On A Character, Need Advice  (Read 7833 times)
RDWilson
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -22

I am the perfect embodiment of the Dark Side!

« on: September 26, 2015, 04:37:17 AM »

So for a couple of years now, I've had this idea for a character that I'm certain stories could be based around. I've finally gotten around to putting down some thoughts on paper, or at least digital paper. I'm not particularly experienced in writing characters though, so I need a bit of help. I've written a basic backstory for the character but don't know how good it actually is. Anyone who's willing to, could you please read over it and give me your thoughts? What to add, what to take away, what to modify slightly, that sort of thing. I'll give points to anyone who helps out!

Please also bear in mind that this is not even a rough draft; it's more of a basic outline that I've jotted down. The writing isn't great, but I plan on actually fleshing out the details in the near future. Thanks in advance for your help!

Onward! Onward! Onward to victory!

Dominix LE V4, RGBA, Obsidian V4

RDWilson
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -22

I am the perfect embodiment of the Dark Side!

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 04:39:08 AM »

Darth Cognus has a new apprentice after Darth Millennial is removed from the Order of the Sith Lords. That apprentice is a human male, name to be determined. Eventually, that apprentice usurps the title of Dark Lord from Cognus and seeks out his own apprentice, this time a male devaronian.

The story begins on Nar Shaddaa. Serr Rackrighter is the son of Devon and Annora Rackrighter, leaders of the largest of the local cartels. (Research: Are there already established cartels in place on Nar Shaddaa to which I will have to stick with in order to maintain continuity or can I create my own?) A member of the cartel begins a trafficking plot that is unknown to Devon and Annora. When the daughter of a senator is kidnapped as a part of this plot, a Jedi Knight is sent to investigate. Because Devon and Annora lead the cartel, the Jedi’s hunting inevitably leads him to question their involvement, despite them actually having nothing to do with the trafficking or kidnapping. When the Jedi forcibly (pun intended) enters the Rackrighter’s home, naturally Devon and Annora do what any reasonable people would do in attempting to protect their home: draw a blaster and fire away at the Jedi. Expecting the invader to fall rather than to draw a lightsaber and deflect the bolts, the Rackrighers were caught entirely off guard when the Jedi ignited his lightsaber and cut the Rackrighters down. Serr watched helplessly around the corner as his parents were slaughtered before his very eyes. When the Jedi looked up and made eye contact with Serr, the burning hatred of the child engrained every slight aspect of the murderer Jedi into his mind. Serr fled to the streets, where he joined up with one of the gangs headed by the cartel which his parents had led.

Over time, Serr worked his way up in rank until he became the second-in-command of the entire cartel. Serr had always envisioned himself as the head, not just the neck, of the cartel. Leadership was owed to him by birth. When the leader of the cartel refused to step down, despite it being Serr’s right to leadership, Serr poisoned the leader by degrees until he died. Serr then took over operations as the head of the guild.

Nar Shaddaa is known as the “Smuggler’s Moon.” This is because it is really nothing more than a lawless refuge for criminals across the galaxy. It is left mostly untouched by the Republic due to its high criminal count. From time to time however, the Republic is forced to do business with the criminal underworld. That was the case now. In an attempt to locate an ancient but recently discovered Sith artifact, the Jedi come to Nar Shaddaa chasing rumors that certain members of Serr’s cartel may have information regarding the artifact’s whereabouts. Because he is familiar with the Nar Shaddaa system, the same Jedi who killed Serr’s parents is sent again to Nar Shaddaa to meet with the cartel leader and attempt to locate this artifact and bring it back to the Jedi Temple for safekeeping. Serr recognizes the Jedi, though the Jedi does not recognize him. Serr draws a blaster on the Jedi and fires. The Jedi deflects the bolt back at Serr who steps out of the way and draws a vibrosword off the wall before engaging with the Jedi. Despite the Jedi’s superior training, Serr’s blinding hatred, as well as his soon to be discovered attunement to the Force, enables him to best the Jedi and strike him down.
   Darth Cognus's apprentice has now become the master and has his own apprentice, a male iridonian. It is still early in his training; the iridonian has just barely constructed his lightsaber and is still learning how to wield it properly. The Dark Lord decides to send his apprentice after this same artifact that the Jedi was after.

Serr and the iridonian meet. The iridonian has brought  twi’lek enforcer along for muscle. Serr is completely defiant and orders the two to be removed and executed. They fight back. The enforcer is killed quickly while the iridonian dispatches of the guards with his lightsaber. Serr confronts him with a blaster and the iridonian attacks clumsily, still being a beginner swordsman. Serr manages to avoid the blow and disarms his opponent; a hand-to-hand battle ensues between the two of them. Serr manages to knock the iridonian to the ground and draws his blaster again, killing the Sith and ending the fight. Serr retrieves the iridonian’s fallen lightsaber and is fascinated by it.

Upon learning that his apprentice is dead, the Dark Lord travels personally to the cartel. Serr orders all troops to fire on the Dark Lord but all are quickly dispatched by his lightsaber. The Dark Lord forces entry into the command room, electrocutes the guards and confronts Serr. Serr draws his blaster but expects it to be hopeless. The Dark Lord offers to make Serr his apprentice, an offer which is wisely accepted. Serr takes on the new name Darth Janus.

Darth Janus learns all he can, utilizing the fallen lightsaber. When Janus is strong enough, he too challenges his master to a duel to the death.

There is a Dark Jedi, her name is irrelevant. She is being pursued by a Jedi. While on a mission with his master boarding a Republic vessel, (a reason is still needed, though a docking bay would work as well) Darth Janus and his master become entangled in the pursuit. They elect to stay hidden but the Jedi detects their presence and assumes it is his Dark Jedi target. The Jedi attacks the Sith and quickly realizes who and what they are. The two have no choice but to kill him for secrecy. The fight continues for some time and, through the Jedi using the Force against her after discovering her true location, the Dark Jedi is forced to join the fight. Darth Janus at this point betrays his master. It's a free-for-all between four duelists. The Jedi falls and Darth Janus kills his master in a fair one-on-one fight. The Dark Jedi survives and becomes apprentice to Darth Janus.
Alternate: There is a Dark Jedi, his name is irrelevant. He is being pursued by a Jedi Master and his apprentice. While one a mission with his master boarding a Republic vessl, (a reason is still needed, though a docking bay would work as well) Darth Janus and his master become entangled in the pursuit. They elect to stay hidden but the Jedi detect their presence and assumes it is their Dark Jedi target. The Jedi attack the Sith and quickly realizes who and what they are. The two are have no choice but to kill them for secrecy. The fight continues for some time between the Sith and Jedi. Through the Jedi using the Force against him after discovering his true location, the Dark Jedi is forced to join the fight. Darth Janus at this point betrays his master. It's nearly a free-for-all between each individual Sith, the Dark Jedi, and the two Jedi together. The Jedi apprentice seems hesitant to engage in combat with the Dark Jedi. The Jedi Master is dueling with the Dark Jedi while the two Sith and the Jedi apprentice are dueling separately. The apprentice is not fighting well but the two Sith are so entangled in their own conflict with each other that they do not take the time to kill her. The Jedi Master has the Dark Jedi at his mercy. The Jedi is by far the superior duelist and the Dark Side can only protect someone so long. The Dark Jedi has been disarmed and is about to be struck down by the Jedi Master when his apprentice screams out a loud “NO!!!” and uses the Force to propel her master away from the Dark Jedi, rendering the Jedi Master unconscious. He is Force Pushed into a pillar which breaks upon impact, falling right upon the Dark Jedi who was too drained to sense his fate with the Force, nor did he see the pillar falling his way, else he could have sprinted to safety. The Dark Jedi is crushed, dying instantly. When the Jedi Padawan realizes what she has done, she ruses over to where the Dark Jedi was and begins to weep. By this time, Janus has managed to defeat his master in a duel to the death. He walks over to the unconscious Jedi Master and raises his blade to strike down his foe. The Padawan, in a desperate attempt to save her master, lunges at Janus, jumping high and coming down with a brutish downward stab. Janus is able to step out of the way; the Jedi Master is not. The Padawan has now killed not only the Dark Jedi (who must later be revealed to be her brother who defected from the Jedi Order) but also killed her master as well. She falls to her knees and begins to weep some more. Janus stands over her shoulder, looking down upon her but saying nothing. The Padawan begs the Sith to kill her but Janus refuses and instead offers to make her his apprentice. The Jedi order would never accept her back, he says, due to her embracing the Dark Side during that final fight. Why turn her back on the Force? The Padawan rejects his offer and travels back to Coruscant to face trial before the council. Janus's offer intrigues her. She has indeed been curious about the Dark Side. She goes to face trial, the council says they do not hold her responsible but she resigns nonetheless. The Padawan is gifted her lightsaber to keep, even after leaving the order. (Some old sage wisdom from the council here about how it will do a greater good by reminding the Padawan of the dangers of the Dark Side) The Padawan then seeks out Darth Janus again and begins her formal training in the ways of the Sith.

Onward! Onward! Onward to victory!

Dominix LE V4, RGBA, Obsidian V4

nairbsamoht1978
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 05:47:08 PM »

when you are setting up a charecter make sure you pace the story ark a siths main goal is to obtain power a sith aprentis would bide his time betraying his master at a opertune time but only once they are sure they have learnt all of there masters secrets.
Sith tended not to digress any advantage in force knoledge to rival sith lords alot of pure bloods would only pass on that knoledge to there own blood line.
if you wernt already a sith you were a slave untill such time as a sith lord noticed your latent force potential even then they would only teach you what you needed so as to do there bidding so you wouldnt become so powerfull as to challenge them.
think mara jade skywalker darthvader amd there like they never truly achieved there full force potential under there master who only taught enough so as not to be challenged
unless you were able to increase your force powers through intensive training and maybe coming across a sith holcron and learning its secrets.
sith were practisioners of survival of the fittest so bear that in mind when building your plot lines.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 07:46:44 PM »

It might be advantageous for you to break the story down into sections - early life/childhood, discovery of being force sensitive, meeting the Jedi or Sith, training, rise to power etc etc.

By having sections it wil hell keep the flow of the story logical and makes it easier to write (you can focus on a different section each time you write).

Read aloud everything you write the day after to make sure it make sense.

Don't be afraid to edit and leave stuff out if it doesn't make sense when you read it back.

I'm not a professional writer or anything, but feel free to read my character backstory for an example of the section breakdown I mentioned. http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=27744.msg410568#new

When I was writing it I used a lot of information from star wars.wikia to help with names of alien species, planets, geography, locations etc. as you are creating a new character you don't have to stick rigidly with what already exists - just use it as a springboard to tell a new story.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: