Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Archon V3 Review  (Read 16001 times)
cstoehr
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 117

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

« on: October 18, 2015, 02:59:33 AM »

It's finally here, the Archon V3 with the iconic narrow-neck emitter!  This Archon V3 is another step closer to replicating Luke Skywalker's lightsaber from Return Of The Jedi.  About the only thing still missing is the external activation box.  I think some of you saberforumites have said you would like to see an external activation box on the new Archon V3.  Although the box would make the Archon V3 almost an exact replica, I prefer the saber without the box.  I have both of the Graflex and the Chosen One sabers and think the activation box makes a two handed grip more than a little uncomfortable.

Now let me show you my Archon V3 saber.  This saber has the Tri-Cree Consular Green LED, non-illuminated AV switch, Obsidian sound, 32" standard Heavy Grade blade, the normal version pommel, and the silver covertec wheel.  The first picture illustrates the "right side near pommel" mounting position for the covertec wheel.

Besides the narrow brass / black neck, this saber also has the new D-ring on the pommel.  I had the optional covertec wheel added so that I could use either the covertec or the D-ring.

In the video, Emory showed everyone the emitter itself that will be available as an accessory. What Emory did not show is that the emitter blade holder can also be removed.  Since I don't do very many modifications, I'm not sure if this would be useful for mods, but I discovered this as I was trying to remove the full emitter from the body.  Unfortunately this emitter is screwed in too tightly, and I was unable to remove it and photograph the Tri-Cree LED that sits under the emitter.  One possible modification would be to remove the blade holder permanently and modify the blade with screw threads on the inside of the blade so that the blade will screw onto the tip of the emitter.

The Archon V3 blade is a specially made heavy grade blade because the narrow emitter tip goes inside the end of the blade.  The reflective film inside the blade does not come down to the base of the blade in order to accommodate the emitter tip.  In the first picture below, the standard heavy grade blade is on the bottom with the Archon V3 blade on the top.  In the second picture below, the standard heavy grade blade is on the left with the Archon V3 blade on the right.

These next pictures illustrate why the Tri-Cree LEDs are recommended for this Archon V3.  The first picture has the Archon V2.1 emitter on the left with the Archon V3 emitter on the right.  Observe just how much smaller the emitter light path is compared to the V2.1.  The second picture is a close-up of the V3 emitter looking down that narrow tube.  The outlines of the individual LEDs are just visible in the center of the picture.

With respect to blade brightness, I think Emory said the Archon V3 could be just slightly less bright due to the narrower light path through the neck of the emitter which is why he recommended the Tri-Cree LEDs.  In these next pictures I paired the Emerald single LED Archon V2.1 in Consular Green with the Archon V3 Tri-Consular Green to examine the question of brightness.  These photos were taken using either incandescent or fluorescent light for white light balance and with different exposure times.  I can't see any difference in brightness.

With the 32" heavy grade blade, this Archon V3 is definitely "blade heavy".  The balance is about 1" forward of the emitter.  For me to use this saber with a one hand grip, I need to grip it on the brass neck.  The neck feels very sturdy.

I really like this saber.

My Ultra Sabers:
Scorpion (VA)
Crimson Reaper (SY)
Overlord (FO)
Dark Prophecy (SRD)
Prophecy (VA)
Chosen One (BR)
Archon (CG)
Malice (BR)
Graflex CE (GB)
Dark Standard (CG)

Other Force FX lightsabers:
Darth Vader (red)
Anakin Skywalker (blue)
Luke Skywalker (green)

Gojira76
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 23

Godzilla got himself a lightsaber now!

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 03:51:03 AM »

Thanks for the review. This is one I was planning on getting. I was also going for a covertec wheel and your V3 has one. Good post.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 03:59:33 AM »

I can see just a little bit of brightness difference, about half to 2/3 of the way to the tip, but it still looks very good and bright.  Definitely tri-CREE when I order one.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 05:10:01 AM »

Very nice. The way the blade glows on the V3 actually reminds me of the blade glow on the movie a bit. I'm gonna try for one next month as well same set up but with classic pommel instead

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 05:11:38 AM »

Very nice review.
 I have some big plans for this hilt in terms of customization so all your pictures are quite helpful!

Point from me.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Duke
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 12

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 05:17:20 AM »

Thanks for the review it looks amazing !!! I can not wait for mine to come in on monday Smiley

This is where the fun begins Smiley

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 05:28:54 AM »

Cstoehr

Awesome review.  Thanks for doing that side by side comparison.  Point from me.

I am looking at getting the V3 myself and really debating getting the Emerald or Tri-Cree, was there a truly significant difference, a minor difference, or just the camera angle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 06:00:49 AM »

Beautiful photography!  How you capture the blade color PLUS a clear shot of the emitter is fantastic.  The side x side comparo of both V2.1 and V3 with respect to brightness is a valuable tool thank you.  And it's just a good caption for design/style between the two types.  Good to hear criticism concerning pros and cons with this saber in your review.

+1

It'll be interesting to hear your opinion of the V3 emitter on your V2.1 and how the emerald will illuminated the blade, once you get the emitter loose of course Grin  Either way I'm getting this emitter!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:14:47 AM by hazard502 » Logged

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 06:40:50 AM »

Now you need a Luke TFA costume done Tongue Which I expect are in the works anyway

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO

cstoehr
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 04:09:53 PM »

Cstoehr

Awesome review.  Thanks for doing that side by side comparison.  Point from me.

I am looking at getting the V3 myself and really debating getting the Emerald or Tri-Cree, was there a truly significant difference, a minor difference, or just the camera angle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I advise against trying too hard to see measurable brightness differences in these pictures because the Vivitar ViviCam S527 camera I used never has done as well as I would like at capturing the color shade and brightness that my eyes perceive.  This camera is not a high-end, high feature camera with a full range of aperture and shutter settings.  I have four ISO settings: Auto, 100, 200, and 400.  I mostly use ISO 100.  The Auto White Balance (AWB) settings are Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent, and Incandescent.  I have both fluorescent and incandescent lights over the pool table where I do most of my lightsaber photography.  So depending on which of those lights I have on, I use the corresponding setting for AWB or Auto if I have both light sources on.  My exposure settings are not defined in terms of the usual shutter speeds which are in fractions of a second.  My available exposure settings are just "steps":  +3, +2, +1, 0, -1, -2, and -3 without any defining units of time.  Using exposure 0 usually results in an overly bright blade in which the subtleties of color shades can be difficult to see.  I use the negative exposure settings to shorten the exposure time so that less light and more color comes into the camera.  Of the seven color / brightness comparison photos, the first three were exposure -2, and the last four were exposure -3.  The document file properties report the shutter speeds as (AWB in parentheses) 1/34 sec (FL), 1/19 sec (FL), 1/41 sec (IN), 1/78 sec (IN), 1/45 sec (FL), 1/38 sec (FL), and 1/53 sec (IN).  So to finally answer your question, much of what you see in the photos is due to camera angle, settings, and the camera's image capture limitations.

My Ultra Sabers:
Scorpion (VA)
Crimson Reaper (SY)
Overlord (FO)
Dark Prophecy (SRD)
Prophecy (VA)
Chosen One (BR)
Archon (CG)
Malice (BR)
Graflex CE (GB)
Dark Standard (CG)

Darth Vader (red)
Anakin Skywalker (blue)
Luke Skywalker (green)

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 06:21:20 PM »

So do you always use manual mode then? My ISO goes from 64 to 1000 something and I usually use a shutter speed of 5. I have just a standard lightbulb in my room but mine has like 3 fluorescent settings. My manual mode doesn't have auto exposure though which kinda sucks but my shutter speed setting only has an ISO of 400-800. I have that simple Fujifilm camera. I need something better x.x I've been trying and trying still to get as good crisp clear pictures as you have been

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 06:41:29 PM »

You're not the only one that's limited to settings dude x.x In the exposure, is this what you were talking about though? Mine doesn't show numbers but lines but I expect that's -3 possibly. I usually have the shutter speed set at 5 so the color kinda creeps out more towards the blade edges which I think looks cool like that =]

cstoehr
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 06:53:49 PM »

You're not the only one that's limited to settings dude x.x In the exposure, is this what you were talking about though? Mine doesn't show numbers but lines but I expect that's -3 possibly. I usually have the shutter speed set at 5 so the color kinda creeps out more towards the blade edges which I think looks cool like that =]

Mine doesn't work by using a sliding scale like yours.  My Exposure setting is a menu.

My Ultra Sabers:
Scorpion (VA)
Crimson Reaper (SY)
Overlord (FO)
Dark Prophecy (SRD)
Prophecy (VA)
Chosen One (BR)
Archon (CG)
Malice (BR)
Graflex CE (GB)
Dark Standard (CG)

Darth Vader (red)
Anakin Skywalker (blue)
Luke Skywalker (green)

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »

Is it about the same though? I don't mind the 400 ISO though

cstoehr
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 07:54:12 PM »

Is it about the same though? I don't mind the 400 ISO though

I don't know how your camera operates so I don't know what to tell you other than try every possible option until you find what works.  That's all I do.

My Ultra Sabers:
Scorpion (VA)
Crimson Reaper (SY)
Overlord (FO)
Dark Prophecy (SRD)
Prophecy (VA)
Chosen One (BR)
Archon (CG)
Malice (BR)
Graflex CE (GB)
Dark Standard (CG)