Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: First Time Buyer: Recommendations?  (Read 1242 times)
Darth_Muny
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

Hawk-Bat 9, Standing By.

« on: September 02, 2011, 06:05:45 PM »

Hello All,

I just found US the other day through a random post on a friend's FB page and made my way to the site. I was instantly enamored. Now, over the course of the last 2 days, I've decided that I am definitely going to be buying a saber, but now the real question unfolds.

Do I spend more on the first saber I get and get all the options, or should I start with a less expensive saber and work my way up. Then from a build my way up stand point, Do I look into constructing my own saber? How hard is it to change the blade color emitter?

Now, this being said, the two sabers I'm looking at are either;

A) The Dark Shock with RGB, Obsidian SB and Red illuminated switch, Li-Ion Setup, UE Blade

OR

B) The Phantom V2 with LE hilts, and BR UE Blades

Now, cost isn't really the big issue here. I suppose it's more a question of sentimentality, and useability. Another question arises... (And I know theres another forum for this, so not asking true specifics) Do I wait and try and build a custom saber with the extra options, and use the Phantoms as a "safer" way to experiment with disassembling a Saber and putting it back together to have experience with it before I try to build my own?

So, in a way, the big question is... Which is going to be more memorable/hold more sentimental value... Your first Saber, our your first custom-built saber?

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."

In case it wasn't somewhat obvious already, I'm walking a Dark path in my studies of the Force.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 06:18:27 PM »

Welcome.  You ask many good questions!  Honestly your first saber will be special for you no matter what it is, but you will want to keep it intact no matter what.  You will not want to experiment on it.  When the team gets back from Dragon*Con in Georgia there will be an options called "Grab Bag."  THOSE are sabers for Frankensaber experiments.

Honestly where you start it up to you.  My first saber was an old PVC Omen, then I slowly upgraded to a Metal Hilt and just recently got my first saber with sound from US.  If you love the Shock and can afford it I say GO FOR IT!  But that's just little old me.

If you want to be able to change your blade color then you either want RGB or you want Quick Disconnect.  If you're really into having 7 full colors at the push of a button then you are right to go RGB, if you are more interested in two specific colors then get the QD.

Plus, if you want to custom build sabers you should go to www.youtube.com/greytale (that's Master Novastar's channel).  He's got some tips on good ways to start out on building.

My suggestions summary:  RGB Shock with all the bells and whistles you desire and wait to start builing.  Just enjoy your first saber.

Cheers

Darth_Muny
Knight Aspirant

Hawk-Bat 9, Standing By.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 06:27:32 PM »

See, that's the exact kind of info I need.

Now, when you mention the Quick Disconnect, what exactly is that? That sounds more like that I'm interested in. I know I want BR, but CG and AS are both colors that I'm interested in.

My only hang up is that it looks like the Shock without the RGB option is visibly shorter, and I like how much longer the RGB Shock looks.

Also, is it possible to get the illuminated switches separate from the Obsidian SB? I love the way they look, or better yet, has anyone ever used one of each for the 3 diff RGB buttons to keep them color coded and then maybe use one of the solid color buttons for the master switch?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:33:33 PM by Darth_Muny » Logged

In case it wasn't somewhat obvious already, I'm walking a Dark path in my studies of the Force.

LLTravis
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:49:52 PM »

If you order one with all the bells and whistles then you are getting a lightsaber replica. If that is what you are going for then definitely get one. If you order a basic one then you are getting a colored flashlight with a tube on the end. If you want something to throw around, take some pictures with, or duel with other people, then get one of them.

Personally I ordered my first US last night, and I went with all the options I would want. It's cheaper to get one good one than buy a basic one and then a good one.

shyguy3000
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 72

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 08:31:01 PM »

Quick Disconnect is a connector that is attached to the wiring of the led and the hilit it allow you to switch out LEDs with out having to gut the saber or disconnect and redo the wiring just to change LEDs here a example of what it looks like

Picture Credit: Nyte @ http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2130.0

Note: if your getting RGB then there is no need for quick disconnect.  Likewise not all sabers offer the quick disconnect option.

Anyways if you have the budget for then I would go with the Dark Shock with the all the options you have listed. and yes RGB does make the hilit a little longer.

Hope that helps.

ps: if some one does not get sound it does not mean their lightsaber is basically a flashlight with a tube attached. Two of my sabers that I own do not have sound and I like and use them as much as the one I have with sound. Sorry I just found that comment to be offensive,if not insulting.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:37:30 PM by shyguy3000 » Logged

Light side Points please. =D
Consular w/ GB, BR, AB, SRD, MLS Units and Obsidian sound.
Archon V2 w/CG and Obsidian sound
Donimix V3 with DVA and Obsidian Sound
Guardian with GB and Obsidian Sound

LLTravis
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:42:01 PM »

I didn't mean any offence in any way. That is what a basic saber is. It is a light, with a tube on the end. I didn't mean that in a bad way. I was saying that if he wanted a lightsaber replica then he should get one with sound and a nicer hilt. If he wanted something to take pictures with, duel friends without worrying about damaging an expensive hilt..then he should get a regular one.

Darth_Muny
Knight Aspirant

Hawk-Bat 9, Standing By.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 10:17:56 PM »

I understand both sides, but I agree that even without sounds, it's still a Saber.

Now, do we know how difficult it is to request a few extra options, such as more than one illuminated switch on the hilt? I really want all 4 buttons on the hilt to be illuminated... I think it would look really cool.

LLTravis
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 12:07:32 AM »

Sorry if my comments have upset anyone. I think the point I was trying to make was lost by my apparent bad wording. In no way did I mean to insult anyones saber, or choices. I only intended to say that in my opinion one is more of a replica i.e. closer to a Star Wars Master Replica style. One is better for dueling and not having to worry about damaging an expensive hilt.

I think that my "flashlight" comment was taken the wrong way. I didn't mean that it was less of a saber. I just meant that it is basically a light with a tube on it. Therefore the full replica lightsaber effect would be lost. I honestly meant it to be helpful, not insulting.

Anyways, I apologize for my wording. Re-reading it, it does sound somewhat insulting...I honestly did not mean it to come off that way though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: