Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Review of the Consular (pic heavy)  (Read 8820 times)
hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« on: November 11, 2015, 06:33:19 AM »

The Consular has always been high on my wish list, I really like the design and enjoy the character it's based on - Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn.  Green is also it's default color based on the films...which is my favourite blade color.  The Consular was the other hilt I chose as my Emerald Prize from the 2015 US Summer Raffle.  Once again US...THANK YOU!

Here are the specs:  Consular with the standard shroud, emerald RGBA, orange illuminated black AV switch in series with ch4(Amber) and obsidian V4 sound.
The Consular is a full MHS compatible design as you can remove the emitter, the pommel and even the shroud if you'd like to customize it's design.
Though I'd always liked the design, if I were to be honest I thought it was a bit plain.  When I received it from US my perception changed right away and it's now one of my favourites!  That's why this is a pic heavy review as I wanted to give the best possible look at it because IMO there's much more than meets the eye...at a near distance anyway.

First a good all round look at the Consular:

First I'd like to address the shroud.  It is machined to a ridiculous degree giving a very precise fit over the Consular body - PRECISE!  In fact removing it is equal to removing a sword from it's sheath including that metallic ring as the blade is drawn free.  You feel like you're gonna scrape the tar out of the black anodizing when you take it off so you need to do it slowly.
When it's on the body it feels bullet proof!  When you have it off you could fold the steel with your hand so you need to place it where no one would accidently lean on it.

It's as smooth as it looks and therefore comfortable and I don't know what it is about it but I don't find it slippery at all after using it for a while.  The edges of the shroud are also nice to the touch and comfortable for long periods IMO.  But look at this, another example of US hallmark quality, the edges are machined with a bevel to transition smoothly from hilt to shroud.

^ Do you see it?  Awesome!  I only noticed it when I had the shroud off and was looking at it more closely.  One critique I will say about the shroud is that it could benefit from a little more visual flare along the side with the covertec wheel.  The movie prop has windows machined into it that add some visual punch which I think the Consular would benefit much from with a little extra done here.

The pommel is nice and smooth with a cool stepped design that flows into the shroud.  Seeing how the two match up...again nice quality control.
Because of such a specific make up between these two parts I've found it a little difficult selecting other pommels that look as at home as the stock one.

I do love a black hilt with silver accents, and the black anodizing is consistent and clean to great effect.  You can see I optioned the black AV switch illuminated in orange.  The black switch in one word, shmexy!  WOOT WOOT!  I love it and it's nice and subtle when the saber is powered off.
What else do you see on the main body?  The groove pattern on the bottom is larger with different spacing than the ones at the top above the AV switch.  To me this is just more Consular awesomeness!  I guess(?) I saw it in other photos but it didn't stand out until I actually had it in my hands.

For those curious about choosing to have their AV switch in series with ch4 in an emerald saber I wholly recommend it.  You get to use the color in that channel plus have illumination in your switch.  I have been using the Amber (more on that) with the main blade color which also keeps power to the switch so it's been on whenever I use my saber.  But if you choose not to use ch4 for blade colors or just for FoC it'll make your switch flash in concert with the blade adding a bit of character to it's behaviour.

I am most definitely a sucker for flared emitters and the Consular strikes a near perfect balance in what I love about this emitter style.  It's just plain shmexy lookin!  I like that a flared emitter also feels like a hand guard giving me a little more comfort wielding and dueling with this hilt.  The splash of silver at the top is nice.  I kind of see the groove pattern on the emitter matches the bottom grooves on the hilt body and same goes with the pommel and top hilt grooves.

As you can tell, my enjoyment of the Consular has grown exponentially since I've had it and as I've mentioned there has been so much more to discover than I initially anticipated.

I REALLY like an MHS hilt, so I thought I'd share a few pics of my current custom set up.  And my goal here was not only to give the design a bit of a change but also shorten it up by a half inch or so.  I've shared a few pics of it like this and I enjoy how it looks and handles, the emitter is from "the other guys" and I'm using the Menace pommel.

This is my first lightsaber with the emerald RGBA driver and I am really liking the little extra diversity the Amber channel brings to the emerald party.  I find that it's a slightly sharper tool for getting more accurate and cleaner yellows, off greens and oranges to name a few.  It really does bring a yellow blade color to life and I'd recommend the rgbA for those who prefer these colors. 
This color is what I call ice violet: B90%, A90% creating this beautiful shade.  FoC is set to a Dark VA.

Here's a look at the obsidian/emerald board for those who may be new to the saber hobby.  The board on the top is the obsidian V4 sound board which comes stock with 8 sound fonts that can be switched on the fly.  As of now, an amazing value if you are getting a saber with sound.  And if you haven't heard - the sound board is plenty loud and crisp!  The bottom board is the emerald RGBA with it's separate USB port

Thanks for reading my review.  I do apologize for it's length...I took a long time to think this through to try and best represent my personal perception of this hilt and how much of a surprise it turned out that I'd love it this much.  I think it's a solid staple in lightsaber aesthetics and function Smiley  Cheers!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 06:51:47 AM »

Great review, I will say this hilt has always seemed dull to me.
That being said your custom setup is appealing to me, maybe a future purchase for me.
That setup with a very light weathering would be amazing.

Obligatory point heading your way.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 09:47:57 AM »

Super review there Haz.  Although surprised that you are not showing off your Consular with a green blade, you have wisely chosen the best color... purple.  Grin   I know what you are doing by trying to tempt me with yet another saber.  The funny thing is that I have the emitter and pommel but not the body.  Really like that black av switch.

Can you post a pic with an emerald green please.  Am thinking that I might want a saber in that shade but not really sure exactly what the color looks like.  Thanks.  +1.   Cool

TelepathicTraffic
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -27

The DARK SIDE is calling.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 02:39:01 PM »

Great pics!

STUNT SABERS ORDERED:
DARK SENTINEL LE V4 FO --- DARK INITIATE LE V3 BR --- DARK INITIATE LE V4 VA
INITIATE LE V4 AB --- APPRENTICE LE V4 GB --- DOMINIX LE V4 BR - PROPHECY V3 GB
APPRENTICE V4 SRD --- INITIATE LE V3 CG - PROPHECY - TRI CREE GB
ARCHON V3.1 OBSIDIAN LITE CG - DARK INITIATE FO

Lady J
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 64

Nothing lasts forever...

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »

I love all the pics!! And the swapped emitter and pommel look great!  Grin +1

DarthDradeus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -64

With a title like Darth....dark side points please

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 08:15:38 PM »

I never gave much consideration to the Consular but it is a pretty sweet looking hilt. Yes, it is somewhat plain in comparison to some of the elaborate hilts that US offers but I don't think it's a bad thing. It still looks great especially for the Qui Gon enthusiasts. I really liked your customization as well.

magik0012
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 107

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »

Great review Haz! Point for you!

I'm kind of torn on the Consular myself, I like it, but it does look a little plain. Your pics and review definitely do it justice.

That emitter from the other guys looks a LOT like the Arbiter emitter. It would be cool if US sold the non-Dark version in the parts section.

I think the Consular would look super schmexy with some accent colors in some of the grooves on the main hilt and windows or some engraving on the shroud.

Never give up! Never surrender!

Archon v3 (Emerald RGBA + v4 sound), Graflex SE (GB + v3 sound), Chosen One SE (BR + v3 sound), Manticore (VA + v3 sound), Flamberge v2 (FO + v4 sound, dis-assembled and lightly kitbashed), 

Aeon LE v4 (stunt CG), Dark Prophecy x2 (being re-customized) (stunt BR & DVA or VA),

Dark Arbiter (Disassembled), Overlord (Disassembled)
Dark Liberator (BR w v3 sound - gifted away), Dark Sentinel LE v4 (AB w v3 sound - gifted away)

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 09:05:14 PM »

Nice. Looks cool for that Qui-gon lives theory of him with a purple blade =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Cenedar
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 09:09:33 PM »

Good review, and that blade color is SEXY. Definitely starting to reconsider the Emerald Driver...if it only were less expensive... but you have excellent taste regardless!

Sabers Owned: 0
Wish List:
Apprentice/Dark Apprentice V4
Catalyst
War Glaive

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 04:27:01 AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies I appreciate it.  And thank you for the compliments on the custom swap out Grin

@Drahcir: I think people expect more from this one because of where it comes from(re: film/character) but for price point it's fairly in-line with what it competes with as far as style.  But if you are into a subtle minimalistic feel than this could gather large appeal.  Plus the MHS keeps doors open for a lot of personal upgrades.

@magik0012: thank you brother Grin  I agree with you that changes to the shroud would transform this hilt.  Some machining or etching would be the perfect touch here.  US could call it the Consular V2 with a $10-$15 upgrade to the V2 shroud with more detail.

@Zren: You bring up a good point, if Darth Maul could survive being hacked in half and come back in the CW series then surely Qui-Gon could handle a little poke to the stomach! Roll Eyes

@TelepathicTraffic, Lady J, DarthDradeus and Cenedar: thank you guys so much! Grin

@Dauntless Seven: Thanks Cheesy  Tricky that you'd request a color to get this hilt back into green...Jedi mind trick perhalps?  I can definitely see you picking up the Consular emitter/pommel with that beautiful black and silver hilt theme in mind.  

I'd never set my sabers to EG before just based on loving CG so much but I think you'd like it.  I think it looks like the half way point between CG and SRD.  
The emerald settings for this is G 90%, B 8%.  

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:35:07 AM by hazard502 » Logged

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 05:26:16 AM »

Excellent review, Hazard, glad you are enjoy the saber!  It's nice to know that the shroud fits on the body so tightly, I had wondered about that.  The Consular is a hilt that bounces on and off my wish list.  I have always thought it a little too plain for what I like in a saber, and agree that the shroud needs an extra something to it.  I would like to get a hold of one though and see what it feels like in my hands.

+1

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »

Point from me as well. The Consular holds a lot of sentimental value for me, so it's great to see someone enjoying theirs so much Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 12:41:46 AM »

@Prowl:  The main hilt body of the Consular is identical in length to the Archon.  However the shroud(though very light on it's own) and the beefy emitter give it a deficit in weight. It's Shock, Archon, and Consular from lightest to heaviest of the three.  The difference in weight isn't big but you can notice it.  Balance is good and the comfort is equal to the other two...just thought I'd pass this on for comparison.

@JC:  I do quite enjoy it, and it just feels like a true lightsaber.

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 01:11:13 AM »

Hazard,

I have to admit I had reservations about this saber when I first saw it, which is why my first choice was my Guardian.  However now that I am seeing more photos of it, I am starting to see some advantages to its more simplistic design.  You displayed it in such a way that many members may now consider it for their collection.  I think you sold me when you adjusted the color to that Emerald Green color, WOW!
Definite appreciation point from me.  +1 Cheesy

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 01:17:15 AM »

Yep . . . Another outstanding review my friend . . . +1 Smiley

You already sold me on the Consular, my most recent saber purchase, and your review here explains how I feel about it also . . . I remember you saying the Consular feels like how a lightsaber should feel, and I completely agree.... Love your Ice Violet colour, I'm going to set that in my RGBA really soon to see it in person . . . cheers Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: