Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Review of the Consular (pic heavy)  (Read 8866 times)
hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 02:51:44 AM »

@KraytDragonPearl:  I think you nailed it with the pictures idea...I've ALWAYS felt like there were never adequate photo's of the Consular except in a few forum members posts(James Casey being one); and therefore understanding my position with it always felt "hidden".  I know that sounds odd but it's how I'd describe it.  So a big goal for me was to try and reveal what I felt was these "hidden" aspects of this hilt..LOL not trying to get philosophical here but you get what im saying Grin

@JediXIX:  Thanks so much! Smiley  I think you'll enjoy this shade of violet, it really suits the black/silver combination of the Consular.  And the silver tone in the color is really what makes it pop!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 04:13:15 AM »

@Prowl:  The main hilt body of the Consular is identical in length to the Archon.  However the shroud(though very light on it's own) and the beefy emitter give it a deficit in weight. It's Shock, Archon, and Consular from lightest to heaviest of the three.  The difference in weight isn't big but you can notice it.  Balance is good and the comfort is equal to the other two...just thought I'd pass this on for comparison.

I do really like the weight and feel of the shock and Archon so I may have to consider this saber at some point.  That's good stuff to know, Hazard.  Have another point!

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 04:44:21 AM »

Good review.  It's nice to see an in-depth review of the Consular.

It's ALWAYS been on my list to get, my fondness for the Qui-Gon hilt goes back a long way, and I suspect for much the same reason that James Casey has a soft spot for it.

It would be nice if they could cut the slot windows in the back of the emitter, it would enhance the look from that angle immensely, I think.

Anyway, have a point, and the Consular (probably tri-CG with V4 sound) will continue to occupy a spot on my list of future saber purchases until I can finally fit it in.

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 05:56:17 AM »

Thanks Prowl!

@shade_1313:  I hear what you're saying. As a similar example, I love the Archon for nostalgic and sentimental reasons as much or more so than its design and style...no matter what anyone says lol Grin. And what a cool time to consider the Consular with the tri-green now being available.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »

Thanks for the emerald green photo.  Perhaps I am thinking more mint green.  Do you think that the EG is close as I can't really tell.   Smiley

shade_1313
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »

Thanks for the emerald green photo.  Perhaps I am thinking more mint green.  Do you think that the EG is close as I can't really tell.   Smiley

I tend to think of EG as a "spectral", "spooky" or "ghostly" green, at least that's what my EG saber puts me in mind of.  A quite pale green, with just a tinge of blue.

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 07:10:35 AM »

Thanks for the emerald green photo.  Perhaps I am thinking more mint green.  Do you think that the EG is close as I can't really tell.   Smiley

Ahhh no I'd say EG is closer to teal, similar to SRD but with a tad more green to it than blue. I took multiple photos but they all looked too blue which isn't the case. The pic I posted was the only one I thought represented it best.

Just for some extra EG info -
Here is a good side x side comparison photo by eerockk of his CG saber next to his EG one:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=15060.msg277497#msg277497

You could consider PM Master Nero about his Jacen Solo EG Dark Prophecy and get his take on the EG shade as another suggestion.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:57:56 AM by hazard502 » Logged

shade_1313
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »

Ahhh no I'd say EG is closer to teal, similar to SRD but with a tad more green to it than blue. I took multiple photos but they all looked too blue which isn't the case. The pic I posted was the only one I thought represented it best.

Just for some extra EG info -
Here is a good side x side comparison photo by eerockk of his CG saber next to his EG one:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=15060.msg277497#msg277497

You could consider PM Master Nero about his Jacen Solo EG Dark Prophecy and get his take on the EG shade as another suggestion.

EG is so very, very frustrating to try to photograph.  Holding my EG saber up to the screen with that picture displayed, and it's clearly greener than the pictured EG, but brighter and paler than the CG in the picture.  Yet, when I try to take a picture of my saber crossing the monitor display, the photo makes my saber look just like the EG on the monitor.

I just don't know if there's a good way to get an idea of what it looks like via a photograph.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 05:26:01 AM »

Haz and Shade, thanks loads for the photos, info and opinions.  I like the color that eerockk has shown.  Think that looks fairly close to a mint green, well at least for my version.  +1 for you both.   Smiley

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 06:20:43 AM »

The problem with EG (and all of the forum colors) is that since they are made by mixing LED colors the end result differs from saber to saber.  EG on one saber could look different than EG on another saber.  I have two sabers in DVA and both of them are a bit different in their shades of Amethyst.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2015, 07:36:43 PM »

The problem with EG (and all of the forum colors) is that since they are made by mixing LED colors the end result differs from saber to saber.  EG on one saber could look different than EG on another saber.  I have two sabers in DVA and both of them are a bit different in their shades of Amethyst.

Another reason why my staff sabers are both Emerald drivers, I can ACTUALLY match them for my two favorite colors, DVA and EG.

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2015, 11:09:57 PM »

Nice Review, Haz! The pictures are extremely helpful, esp. for those considering a Consular. I hope you do this kind of review with your other sabers--I'll have to look because I enjoy the depth that you talk about the Consular and the pics.

With my own Consular, I also wish the back of the shroud had a little more accent to it. I like your idea of a V2 Shroud. On the other hand, I'm debating with using some black paint to make the back of the shroud similar to the DSI patterns. If you come up with something to accent the shroud, I'd love to hear it!

Point for you!

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 06:55:51 AM »

Thank you StarWarsForce that's really encouraging!  I love doing a review, it's super fun for me and it's just another way to be involved and share the hobby with others.  I might consider trying to customize my Consular shroud but it's the only one I've got and I'd hate to bugger it up lol Cheesy  That makes it a little intimidating but it'd be so fun to have it with some detail, maybe one day I'll be brave enough.

Here are my last two reviews and if you feel like it have a look Smiley

Menace SE:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=25331.msg380136#msg380136

Chosen One SE:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24995.0
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:12:16 AM by hazard502 » Logged

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 603

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 12:05:47 AM »

Excellent review Grin !! UGH!! Now I want one even MORE!! Angry  Dang that all mighty budget!!

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel;
Ordered: Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 01:33:58 AM »

Excellent review Grin !! UGH!! Now I want one even MORE!! Angry  Dang that all mighty budget!!

Hey MavRick thanks!  IMHO the Consular is worth saving for and I usually take 8-10 months to save for a purchase, it's long but way less stressful and so exciting when a guy is ready to pull the trigger Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: