Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: assist for stuck MHS part please  (Read 4696 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« on: November 12, 2015, 07:09:48 PM »

Hi all.  I received a PM requesting some assistance from a newer member.  Am putting it out on the Forum for all the clever members to help solve.  Will share an edited version of his post but not the forum name.  Thanks so much on his behalf for any help with resolving the problem.    Smiley

"  D7 - I did something bad.  Playing around with a 3rd party neck and now it's stuck to my US War Glaive.  I tried using 2 of those rubber things to get off tight lids to no avail.  What is a work-around to getting off a tight MHS part that I accidently turned on too tight ?  Can you possibly ask around in the saber forum community if anyone has recommendations for me.  The thing is stuck and won't come off.  Many thanks for any suggestions.  "

I have requested a photo but not sure if he is able.  Will reply back and let him know of my posting on the general Forum.  Thanks again.   Cheesy

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 07:32:12 PM »

If these rubber things don't work, then I would do this:

Put the saber (with very good protection against scratches, dents etc.) into one of these massive iron bench vises and make sure it sits tight and doesn't move. Then try to unscrew the emitter - still watch the clamped hilt, it must not move! This needs a lot of force, but it should work. Just make sure you protect the hilt very, very well! However, don't boast - it may damage both the hilt and the emitter! If it still doesn't unscrew, then you're really in trouble Undecided

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Connah
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light, Dark, both extremes annoy me

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »

WD 40 may also help, spray it on the 'seam' and leave it to soak into the thread, ought to help loosen it

also avoid letting the your hands slip onto the thread....you'll think its moving then next thing you know you've shredded your fingers and hands

"there's no such thing as overkill. It's just making sure"

Dominix V4 VA with sound
Scorpion R+B Emerald with sound

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 11:36:53 PM »

WD40 would be by suggestion as well. If they're able, perhaps praying it from the far end through the interior of the hilt may work as well, but that's probably best if they can get a can with a long nozzle on.

Otherwise, perhaps just having a good enough workout session with it that it comes loose by itself. Pop in a heavy grade blade, find a tree that's in need of felling anyway and let loose Wink

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 11:41:54 PM »

Otherwise, perhaps just having a good enough workout session with it that it comes loose by itself. Pop in a heavy grade blade, find a tree that's in need of felling anyway and let loose Wink

One of the best advice ever !   Grin   +1 point for you James.   Wink   I was going to suggest an activity something like the Wack a Mole game.   Tongue

DarthDradeus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -64

With a title like Darth....dark side points please

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 04:30:13 AM »

Wack a mole! Haha...excellent advice. Honestly if he does get it off, he needs to be sure a grease the threads of any third party MHS stuff. The Custom Saber Shop sells some of the grease and even mentioned on the pages of MHS parts that they need to be greased to ensure that they do not stick.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 05:07:19 PM »

I received a very grateful PM email for the post and replies given.  The good news is that he was able to find a strong burly co-worker that uber gripped and unscrewed it with just his hands and much determination.   

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions as we all dread stuck pommels and emitters.  I always check the threading to make sure it is clean and undamaged.  So far haven't had to use any grease or the liquid stuff that can be used for paper shredders to keep them from ceasing and heating up.  My advice is to go lightly with a layer of anything chosen and remove any residue.

Any reason for Wack a Mole is good enough for me.  Love that game.   Grin

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 02:26:23 AM »

Those rubber clamps works wonders. I keep telling you all to get you a pair of them Tongue Its like those ones you tighten down on them, then when you do that just twist the appropriate way the pieces would come off. Can't really telling you what brand they are but they really do work wonders. I always clamp them in the hilt area then twist but not so hard that it messes up the threads

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Gorobulus
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -43

In time you will call me master

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 06:17:47 AM »

Glad to hear this got solved. Im a little late to the party but I figure il still post this for future problems like this. I work as a printing press operator and deal with stuck bolts,screws,clamps etc etc all the time. One of the best products out there for loosening anything stuck is Liquid Wrench. Im uncertain if im allowed to post product links here, but Im gonna guess since it has absolutely nothing to do with lightsabers per se it might be ok. If Im wrong I apologize.

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-L212-Lubricating-Oil/dp/B00200B22S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447913137&sr=8-2&keywords=liquid+wrench&pebp=1447913194755&perid=0NCGSRTBDTG3FWW1NKEQ

I saw people mention WD40. WD40 is primarily a water displacer(hence the "WD" for "water displacement") Basically it works best on parts that are locked up due to rust. It would have had very little effect in this situation. It wouldn't have hurt or anything, its just not the best thing to use for something just stuck tight due to friction.

Liquid wrench on the other hand is a penetrative oil and lubricant that would have gotten into the threads and made it easier to separate them through lubrication by reducing the friction. Ive used it for many years and swear by it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:23:17 AM by Gorobulus » Logged

Dark Mantis-Blazing red-Obsidian V4
Chosen one- Obsidian V4/Emerald driver
Dark Monarch-Diamond controller

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »

Good information shared Gorobulus.  Will have to check this product out.  Have a point.   Smiley

Point for you as well Zren.  Perhaps you can take a photo of these clamps that shows how you position them on a saber.   Smiley

Also a point for the advice shared by Darth Dradeus, Racona Nova and Connah.   Smiley
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:47:32 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 04:59:04 AM »

I will don't worry. Might even make a full thread in the tech section too =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: