Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Newbie - Questions  (Read 1819 times)
yma269
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: November 24, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »

Okay so I'm just starting to look at Sabers.  My son is begging me for one.  I tried gauging his interest by offering to get him a cheapy one that you see in the stores and he went into his own money offering to buy it himself so he really wants one of the US.  Online he has looked at the initiate v3.  I have no clue about any of this stuff.  What do you recommend I get for his first one.  Keep in mind he's 12.

Thanks in advance.

Thanamira
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 144

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »

An Initiate v3 is a solid saber to get for a youngster.

It won't have sound, though.  For that, I would recommend the (very new!) Obsidian LITE sabers, which start at $160.

Insofar as options, you have two broad options:
* Get an Express Options saber -- lots of details are chosen for you, and those are worthwhile choices.  You just need to pick a blade colour.
* Pick your own options.

If you pick your own:
* pick a color.  Up to you.  Smiley
* pick a blade type: if you get a red colour, I would recommend a Heavy Grade blade; otherwise, get an Ultraedge Heavy Grade blade.
* 32" blade length
* skip all the other options.

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
www.bostonlightsaber.com

Light side points appreciated!
Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 12:00:43 AM »

Welcome to the forum! Please read and post an acknowledgement in the rules found here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=117.0.

Thanamira has pretty much covered it. I do recommend sound (either LITE or v3, v4) if it can be afforded. Other than that I would recommend getting the LE version but that's personal preference. Or maybe consider Emerald if he would want to play with colours.

Good luck on deciding and when/if he gets it, you'll probably want one to. Cheesy

Gorobulus
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -43

In time you will call me master

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 03:01:00 AM »

This may seem rather a narrow point of view, but in my opinion sound is essential. The sound of a lightsaber gives an entirely different dimension to it and adds much more realism to it. This is after all a prop based on the suspension of disbelief. Sound makes that suspension a hundred times easier. Without it, I feel all you have is a light up glowstick.

That's the biggest recommendation I can make. All of Ultrasabers hilts are going to be of high quality, all their LED's are going to be bright, All their blades are going to look great. But sound, again in my opinion, is what takes it from being a glitzy flashlight with a polycarbonate tube in it, and turns it into a lightsaber. And if you have the dough, nothing does sound quite like the Obsidian V4.

Dark Mantis-Blazing red-Obsidian V4
Chosen one- Obsidian V4/Emerald driver
Dark Monarch-Diamond controller

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 07:48:42 AM »

This may seem rather a narrow point of view, but in my opinion sound is essential. The sound of a lightsaber gives an entirely different dimension to it and adds much more realism to it. This is after all a prop based on the suspension of disbelief. Sound makes that suspension a hundred times easier. Without it, I feel all you have is a light up glowstick.

Although a newbie myself, I have to agree. The sound of a lightsaber is as much a part of the experience as anything. US has so many great hilts to choose from, trying to narrow down a choice can be quite difficult (as I am discovering).

Thanamira
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 144

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 02:26:21 PM »

Especially for a youngster, I would also recommend the Obsidian Lite option, if that's within your budget.

(I do a lot of stagecombat practice, so having sound is actually a detriment after awhile -- the constant sound can be a bit aurally tiring.  But for play, omg, sound is amazing.)

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
www.bostonlightsaber.com

Light side points appreciated!
Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

The6ftTallAZN
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 01:01:21 AM »

I would get him one without sound and/or get him to do more  chores around the hosue for sound
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 01:41:31 AM by The6ftTallAZN » Logged

-Kyle Clark

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 01:22:51 AM »

Hi and welcome to the Forum.  Your current choices will be based upon the saber budget and whether he is drawn to the Jedi or Sith side of the Force.  Although a loaded saber ( one with sound or ability to change LED colors via computer ) is the most desirable, many of us started off with stunt sabers.  Both have their purpose and usefulness.  So perhaps start off with a stunt to try out and treat yourself to one as well.  Sparring and spinning practice together provides an excellent bonding time with your almost teenager.   Wink

If sound is high in importance, then a version 3 or 4 Initiate or Apprentice with the new Lite Obsidian soundboard would be worth considering.  We really need more info to provide specific help. 

Here's a photo of the v2, v3 and v4.  Initiate and standard Aeon/Dominix length.

yma269
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 10:19:06 PM »

Thank you everyone.  He is just starting to get interested and I'm at a total loss on this.

I ordered Initiate V4 with Obsidian Lite Sound in Green.  Hopefully he loves it.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:32:18 PM by yma269 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: