Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Catalyst Review- My first purchase!  (Read 2777 times)
DarthSadis
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -10

« on: November 27, 2015, 06:43:49 AM »

Hey SaberForum,

Check out my first ever US purchase and review of the Catalyst model! Let me know what you think, and enjoy!

-DarthSadis

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcoaFugd64&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcoaFugd64&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:58:40 AM by Deep » Logged

I can FEEL your anger. It gives you focus; makes you stronger.

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:30:41 AM »

Good review. The Catalyst is a nice saber.

What do you think of Blazing Red in the Ultraedge blade that you have? Enjoy!

justmutantjed
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 10

I prefer to stay close to neutral.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:29:44 AM »

Heck yeah! More love for the Catalyst line!
A Dark Catalyst was my first -- and still my fave -- saber. I too have it in Blazing Red, with the illuminated red switch. I skipped on the Flash-on-Clash, though, but it looks like that decision was regrettably shortsighted, because the Adegan Silver FoC is AMAZEBALLS. Great choice, and welcome to the family! Dark Side Point for you (in deference to the "Darth" in your moniker). Cheers!
A little edit action, here: I would recommend the "Kit Fisto" soundpack for its very low, gravelly hum. The only downside is that the strike and move sounds are all very short. There's also a soundpack that's just called "Sith". That's a good standby on my Dark Catalyst, as is "Dominus Nox". But, um, here's the link to the forum page for sound fonts: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11414.0
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:37:52 AM by justmutantjed » Logged

There are neither light or dark side; The Force is a vast and beautiful rainbow. I would seek neutrality and balance in and through the Force.
Sabers owned:
Shock with RGBW Emerald (SRD, Pulse: EG, FoC: AB) and Obsidian v4 Sound, Recharge Port, non-illuminated AV Switch.
Dark Catalyst in Blazing Red w/ Red-illuminated AV Switch and Obsidian V3 Sound.
Dominix LE v3 in Adegan Silver (standard setup).

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2030

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »

Very nice. This makes me want one even more and even in Blazing Red over any other color. Really is more of a Sith saber Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Bulvoy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 500

~Sipra Gehaz~ Rebel Legion "Ghost Base"

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 12:04:58 PM »

Good job on the review, nice and straight forward, &  well stated "truths" reguarding mad fast shipping and qualityi have been admiring the natural curvatures / grip choke points more each day, i would think make faster transitions/actions easier while practicing,  owning myself Crimson Scorpion, and soon on the way Bellicose. Both of which meatier, I DO love them. +1 for you

UltraSaber's by bulvoy, on Flickr
Menace - Emerald V4s- RavenSS pommel
Manticore V4s-CG- S /FOC-Renegade small pommel
Crimson Scorpion- V4s-BR- O/FOC
Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA
            "Im here to chew bubblegum & kick ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum"...

ErrantWolf
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 27

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 07:55:49 PM »

What a gorgeous saber!  Looks and sounds great.  Now I want one...

A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places

Gray Jedi, but light side points preferred.

Wishlist: Manticore CE (Sound) in SRD.  Catalyst in Consular Green with yari extension.

DarthSadis
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 11:12:51 PM »

Wow! I wasn't expecting so many comments and so much love so soon for this post! What an awesome community this is! I'm not sure how to, or if I even can, respond individually to each comment so I'll try to address all questions and comments with this reply. Here goes:

Lord Sidious- I personally think the blazing red looks great in the ultraedge blade. I've seen some reviews where people think it looks better in a midgrade blade, but I don't own a midgrade to directly compare it to so I can't confirm or deny if it looks better in midgrade or not. The color doesn't look quite as bright in real life as it does in my video, but it is absolutely a very deep and vibrant red. I hope this helps answer your question!

Justmutantjed- Thanks for the darkside point, kind words, and for the link to the sound fonts! I'm definitely going to experiment with the fonts you suggested and see which I like best! Your setup also sounds awesome! The FoC is just one more bell/whistle that I felt was worth the extra $35 and I'm really pleased I got it.

Everyone else- Thanks so much for your thoughts and kind words! It was a great investment and I'm glad my review was helpful and/or enjoyable for you all to watch!

-DarthSadis

I can FEEL your anger. It gives you focus; makes you stronger.

Trkhellian
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 02:16:39 AM »

Very nice review and it looks like you've got yourself an awesome saber there. I know what you mean about being over the moon about these sabers. I just ordered my second, my first wth sound and I can't wait for it to get here. I think I am in agreement with one of the other commenters, seeing your silver FoC is making me regret skipping that feature. Congrats on your first saber and welcome to the family! A dark side point to you also in honor of your name.

There is no death, there is the Force

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 02:26:48 AM »

One of the best reviews of a Catalyst I've yet seen. Point!

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

Eques Discipulus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 29

Light side points please.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 06:04:33 AM »

Great review of a great saber.  The Catalyst was the first saber I got for many of the same reasons you mentioned.  After using it more, along with other sabers I've had a chance to see and try, it's probably still my favorite.

I also agree with your assessment of blade length.  On many other models like the Manticore, Graflex, or Guardian, the blade extends about 1" farther into the saber body, so you loose a little blade length.  A Catalyst blade doesn't sit as far down in the emitter, so you gain that bit extra.  But the bigger 'issue' is when using the high choke point on the neck, you're gaining even more reach with the blade.  At 5'8", it isn't a big problem for me and a 36" blade, but if I loose focus with spins I'm likely to hit the floor.  After ordering a 32" inch blade, it feels like the perfect length to me.  It's more compact so spins and arcs are suddenly faster.  I guess it depends on height, style and whether you value reach or blade speed.

Have another point.

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

@hsokafan
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 65531

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 02:38:28 AM »

Awesome sauce!!!😋
Nice saber. Maybe get 1 someday if it is ever in stock.
Great review!! Darksidepoints!!

Lightside points. May the force be with you!!😉
14 Sabers:
Initiate LE V2 (3 of them) 1 green 2 bright green (Phantasm V2)
Dark Initiate LE V4 lite sound 24" UE MG, windows, AS with color discs use my GB blade for practice.
More fun color discs!!!😃
Dark Initiate V4 BR 24" UE MG, silver v2 coupler
Black coupler
RGB Manticore 36" UE HG sound FoC AS Covertec
RGB Dominix 36"
Archon V3.1 AS FOC AB
Rgb Dominix w covertec
Initiate LE V4 GB
Dark Apprentice LE V4 SRD
Sentinel V4 LE BR
PHANTOM V2 SRD (2 DOMINIX)

Pages: [1]   Go Up