Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Separatable Connector  (Read 1168 times)
RDWilson
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -22

I am the perfect embodiment of the Dark Side!

« on: November 30, 2015, 07:56:59 PM »

I've always liked the idea of a saberstaff. One of my favorite moments in Star Wars lore with one is in Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (A great read, by the way!) where Kas'im separates his staff into two single-bladed sabers during the fight. Do any of the US couplers have this ability? I know they can be removed and used separately, but a new pommel must be screwed in first, which wouldn't be particularly conducive to a duel. Have I overlooked one of the couplers?

Onward! Onward! Onward to victory!

Dominix LE V4, RGBA, Obsidian V4

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »

No, US doesn't offer such a coupler yet.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:27:02 PM »

I would also really like to see this done by US.

Thanamira
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 144

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 04:03:00 AM »

In the Stupid Questions Dept -- how would this work?  Spring-loaded twistlocks?  I'm thinking like the "childproof" caps you get on prescription bottles.  But even then, to avoid rattling, those would have to be some hefty springs.

(I am obviously not a mechanical engineer.  Smiley  )

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
www.bostonlightsaber.com

Light side points appreciated!
Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

RDWilson
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 07:15:53 AM »

This is just my two cents on how it would be done - with any saber and any coupler right now, simply with the addition of an extra piece. All that would be needed is a pommel that is threaded female at its base. This doubly-threaded pommel could be screwed into one saber, the coupler into the other, then the coupler into the special pommel. The coupler could then be unscrewed from the pommel mid-combat without the electronics falling out. Simple as that.

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »

This is just my two cents on how it would be done - with any saber and any coupler right now, simply with the addition of an extra piece. All that would be needed is a pommel that is threaded female at its base. This doubly-threaded pommel could be screwed into one saber, the coupler into the other, then the coupler into the special pommel. The coupler could then be unscrewed from the pommel mid-combat without the electronics falling out. Simple as that.

The other guys sell a 0.75" MHS extension that would do just that - basically acts as a vented pommel with female threads.

The problem with this idea is the exposed threads. One wrong tumble or hit on either the male or female end dents the aluminum, ruining the threads. The idea works - you'd just need to be extremely careful.

RDWilson
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 08:18:31 PM »

Hmm...just thinking out loud here...what if the pommel was made from a polycarbonate so it would be much more resistant to denting? I've got airsoft guns that have polycarbonate frames that are able to withstand the high velocities of airsoft BBs. Also, all of us know the strength of lightsaber blades. We would just need a non-flexible polycarbonate that would shatter only at a high level of stress and not dent whatsoever.

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 09:36:32 PM »

Actually, PVC might be the way to go. PVC threads are coarser and more forgiving of impact, and you could cut the threads down to join/split the hilts with a single rotation.

Easiest option is 1 1/4" fittings - mainly because 1 1/4" PVC plays nicely with MHS sabers. SCH40 conduit can accept MHS threads with a bit of effort, so you could make a quick-release pommel  with a double-male MHS piece like US's saber couplers, a bit of 1 1/4" SCH40 PVC pipe, and a 1 1/4" threaded fitting.

Alternatively, you could use Class200 (thinwall) 1 1/4" PVC pipe as shroud material over a regular MHS saber, and attach the threaded fitting to the shroud.

For the pipe, it's not really an issue whether you use the white plumbing or gray conduit material, but for the threaded fittings, make sure to use the gray conduit threads, since they're the only ones that can be completely screwed together by hand.

RDWilson
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 09:49:33 PM »

I might try and come up with something. I don't have a saberstaff as of yet and only have one saber at the moment, so I couldn't actually make a staff. I plan on ordering a GB saber with reward points here pretty soon though, so when that arrives I might toy around with some PVC and see what I can come up with. I'll post pics if anything actually comes out of it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: