Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian 3 Technical Specifications  (Read 1146 times)
Mwok
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: December 13, 2015, 12:30:57 AM »

I have a noob question.  Does anyone know what the Obsidian 3 sound card technical specifications are?  What is the minimum and maximum input voltage/current?  What is the output/voltage current for the speaker?  I am assuming that the Obsidian board requires input less than 7.4V to operate but greater than 3.7V and am not sure what the amps should be.   I purchased the Obsidian 3 sound card, 2x 14500 Li-Ion Battery Holder/Speaker Combo, guarded momentary switch and 1000mA buckpuck.   I charged the batteries, put them into the battery holder and measured the output voltage which read 8.4V.  This will probably smoke the board. What electrical component is recommended to drop down the voltage/current from the battery pack to power the sound card?   The wiring diagrams on the forums and website seem simple and suggest that the battery is wired directly to the board.  I am guessing they are not detailed enough to show additional components needed.  Any advice would be great.  Thanks!

ChillyAleman
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 51

Chilly Light

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:38:35 PM »

I think the board can take 12W pretty safely. If my math is right, it can probably take more than 16W, meaning that your Trustfire pack is in the clear, if only barely. I believe I read that since the Obsidian board has no voltage or current regulators, it only gets damaged by heat, which means how many watts that pass through it. 8.4 V x 2000mA = 16.8 W at full charge. I fully charge my trsutfires and have not had a problem yet. Plus their standard obsidian set up is 2x14500s, and I doubt they would sell the board if it fried whenever you started it. As for the minimum, I think It can go as low as 3.2V, though I can't cite where that number, and that may cause the speakers to be quiet and it may not fully power some LEDs.

Mwok
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 05:12:15 PM »

Thanks for your comment but I would like to still keep the question open and hear from someone who has successfully installed and built a saber using the Obsidian 3 sound board.  The questions are: 1) what are the technical specifications for the board (i.e. maximum input volts/amps/etc.) 2) what is the output specifications to the speaker 3) a list of any other electrical equipment / devices needed to install the board (i.e. resistors) in order to assure board functionality and an update their wiring schematics to include these additional components.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: