Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Phantom v2 Compatibility with Obsidian  (Read 4029 times)
kxd
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: September 05, 2011, 03:51:46 PM »

Hey everyone.

I'm new to Ultra Sabers. I'm so pumped to have found a place where sabers are made that actually stand up to combat! Glad you guys are here.

Anyway, I have a question. I have fallen in love with the double bladed sabers here, especially the RGB Phantom v2. However, I've also fallen in love with the Obsidian soundboard. It's a fantastic piece of work. After browsing around the website, I saw that several of the single blades had options for adding the Obsidian in from the order itself, but the Phantom was lacking in this area.

Can you use the Obsidian soundboard with a double bladed saber, specifically when the two blades are coupled together to form a staff? If not initially, is there a way to modify the blade to make it possible? Or am I asking the impossible?

I'd really appreciate any help or advice! Thanks! 

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »

the phantom wasn't originally designed for having sound so thats why you don't see the option on the website, though if you want a double saber with sound buy two of any sound enabled sabers and this coupler so you can make a staff http://www.ultrasabers.com/Coupler-with-Vents-p/parts-cwv.htm

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »

The soundboard would never fit into the hilt of a phantom and there's no coupler for the phantom with sound vents on it
I have 2 phantoms so i can tell u for sure  Grin

Actually Ultra said that he designed the Obsidian to fit in all his sabers. It'll be a tight fit but it could be done.

The coupler would be your biggest problem. You'd need to have one with sound hole custom machined.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

kxd
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 06:09:38 PM »

Do you guys know the best way to get in touch with them to actually ask if it can be done?

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »

Do you guys know the best way to get in touch with them to actually ask if it can be done?

Wait for the Custom Saber Operations to be up and running(it'll be soon). I'm sure Ultra will do it for you then.

(Sig by me!)

kxd
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 01:54:40 AM »

Sad news.

I got an email back from Emory. He told me it's a no go.

I am now incredibly depressed.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 01:55:45 AM »

I'm sorry to hear this, but if you can make friends with someone who is into electronics you MIGHT be able to sneak an econo sound board into those hilts.  Might be a possibility.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 04:04:38 AM »

I'm sorry to hear this, but if you can make friends with someone who is into electronics you MIGHT be able to sneak an econo sound board into those hilts.  Might be a possibility.

There would still be an issue with the coupler not being vented.

(Sig by me!)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »

There would still be an issue with the coupler not being vented.

Yeah that's the main issue I feel.  I'm sure they COULD fit the Obsidian into a Dominix or something, but there's no way with the normal Phantom setup for sound to come out.  If you really want Obsidian sound in a staff, get two sabers (the Shock, for instance) with Obsidian sound along with the vented coupler.

Another option, you want the Obsidian and the staff, would you mind getting them separate?  Get a staff AND an obsidian saber... this option is cheaper than the one I described above at least.  That's what I have, a stunt staff and a solid sound saber.

kxd
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:31:32 PM »

See, that's where this all doesn't make sense to me.

If it can fit inside of the Phantom itself, then just tell me what I need to do to make the Obsidian(s) work with the staff, be it a vented coupler, a new mechanism to fasten the two and resonate, or what have you.

But I was told nothing apart from no.

Bah. For having such great ideas, the treatment these guys gave me was really horrendous. I get that you want people to buy more sabers because it's a business, but all I asked is what could be done to make it happen, no matter how complicated, precisely BECAUSE I loved their product so much.

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 12:07:37 AM »

The Phantom V2 was not designed with sound in mind. The custom saber shop has not opened yet. Im sure if its possible at all Ultra can get it done. The Obsidian im sure will fit , however the Li-Ion battery/speaker pack will not fit into that hilt.This means a new battery / speaker combo will have to be figured out and fabricated , aswell as a resonance chamber pommel.They just got back from Dragon Con and are playing major catch up. Im sure when the custom saber shop opens up he will consider or atleast have a better idea of weather or not it can be done. I really like my Dominix V2 sabers , and i really would like sound in them. So if it can be done....sweet, if not....Ill live.

dark side points please

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 12:15:02 AM »

See, that's where this all doesn't make sense to me.

If it can fit inside of the Phantom itself, then just tell me what I need to do to make the Obsidian(s) work with the staff, be it a vented coupler, a new mechanism to fasten the two and resonate, or what have you.

But I was told nothing apart from no.

Bah. For having such great ideas, the treatment these guys gave me was really horrendous. I get that you want people to buy more sabers because it's a business, but all I asked is what could be done to make it happen, no matter how complicated, precisely BECAUSE I loved their product so much.

I don't think you understand the concept of DESIGN.  When we say the Phantom is not designed to hold sound, we mean it.  Even if you somehow find a way to get it to use sound (machine some kind of custom vented coupler to fit it, for instance) it would probably sound like crap... because it was not created with sound in mind!

When you design a process, item, etc you have certain specifications... you make tradeoffs based on these.  You know what's required (in the case of the Phantom, a cheap durable STUNT saber) and you go to work.  What is created?  A saber that is simple enough to be cheap, but sturdy enough to handle punishment.

I would recommend a little bit of patience with Ultrasabers, they are a successful but still relatively small company, growing faster than they can keep up (from what I have seen).  I'm sure they would LOVE to appease you, they do indeed like making their customers happy whatever the request.  However, they likely do not have the means to do this yet... but as Vex said, the CSO will likely provide a solution to your problem if you are patient.

kxd
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 01:13:16 AM »

I don't think you understand the concept of DESIGN.

Nero, that was hardly a necessary comment. I'm sure you think I'm some raging troll who just doesn't understand how the real world works, but I really do understand that they are a small company with limitations. My only question to them was concerning the limitations of one of their products and how they could be overcome or manipulated. I was not met with the friendliest of responses considering the enthusiasm I put into my question (I say question specifically here because it was by no means a demand made by a hotheaded, impatient customer) and that is where the discrepancy arises for me. In later searching after my initial contact with them, I found various responses from the developers themselves that said there were ways around this situation (one-handed for the most part, which is fine, and not necessarily as good as their sabers designed for sound but still workable.) What bothers me is that they responded to me the way they did. If what they said before to other people was true, what suddenly made them so inclined to tell one customer a flat out and one word "No?"

That bothers me. That's all I'm saying. I don't think calling my intelligence into question is entirely appropriate.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 01:31:52 AM »

Ok, stepping in.  The following is being typed in a friendly way to a friend.

First, Nero in real life in an engineer.  Chemical engineer yes but there are some basics that I'm pretty sure all engineers are required to understand.  If he came off rude it wasn't intentional as it would be a first and his personality doesn't really fit that.

Second, if you got an email from Ultrasabers saying it's a no go then Ultrasabers can't do it.  That doesn't mean that when Ultra has his own CSO going he can't (at great cost) make it work.  Sure, you might be able to FORCE (no pun intended) some sound board (though probably not a nice one) into these hilts.  Ok, let's say that can be done.  Next step is Custom designing, engineering and machining a piece of aircraft aluminum.  This is something that should be done by someone who either builds sabers for a living (Ultra) or an engineer (Nero) who has the appropriate training and available machines.

Understand that Ultrasabers LLC is not large company (I'm aware of 3 employees).  They do NOT do custom work.  They don't have the man power or the time to fulfill their orders and do more.  If Ultrasabers says no, then everyone's best advice is going to be to wait for the CSO to open.

At this point, please only post in this thread if you have a helpful comment.  kxd is the OP here, wanting to know what can be done for getting sound in a Phantom.  Current suggestion: CSO.  If you have something better, let him know!

Cheers.

kxd
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 01:43:02 AM »

I apologize for causing such an unpleasant disturbance.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: