Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Guardian with Obsidian Premium Sound  (Read 2096 times)
iamstern
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: December 17, 2015, 03:39:53 PM »

Hi Everyone!
Please forgive me if this is patchy, I have literally pulled my new saber out the box.
Firstly here is what I bought:
 The Guardian with Obsidian Premium Sound [Blade LED Color:TRI Guardian Blue][Flash on Clash:Flash Arctic Blue][Battery Configuration:Li-Ion Setup with BuckPuck (Batteries & VP1 Charger Included)][Recharge Port:No Recharge Port][Blade Length:36" Standard Size][Blade Option:UltraEdge][Sound:Yes, Install Obsidian USB V4 Sound! [V4]][Switch Type (Momentary):Silver Non-Illuminated AV Switch][Shroud Finish:Nickel Plated Finish][Blade Tip:Round Tip][Include Retention Screw Wrench:No Thanks][Include Blade Plug:Yes, Include Circle Plug][Include Saber Stand:No Thanks][Include MINI USB Cable:No Thanks][Include Covertec Clip:Yes!]

First of all SPLOOSH! What an incredible work of art. I went fairly all out on this one having seen some of the lower scale units at a comiccon. Please don't get me wrong, even the entry level units I have seen and held are of extremely high quality, but the Guardian is just a whole other level. This is important to me as I was quite understandably reluctant to fork out $400 not knowing how good it would be, and frankly I am not an easy customer to please (sorry to anyone who has had to suffer my unhappy customer wrath). But I am very please!!!!!
  • Ordering was easy
  • Build was fast!
  • I in the UK so went for economy delivery, still arrived incredibly fast (within 5 days of shipping)
  • Take the Nickel plating, its... SPLOOSH!
  • something other sites fail on, but this one did not, tracking was there and worked!
  • The build quality is amazing. It has real purpose and weight behind it
  • I saw the videos, read the reviews, but was worried about the sound level and quality - I should not have been. Its great.
  • Sounds Silly, but I was even suprised by the quality of the screw in parts. For some reason I ahd assumed it might be a bit rough, or something. However I was genuinely pleased to feel the high quality of even those parts.

For a point of interest, I thought I might explain why I bought this and what it was for. I think it goes without saying I am a massive Star Wars fan. Despite hating many elements of the new films (mostly Jar Jar and I am sorry if you like him, but he is a steaming turd on the face of the series) I still hold them in high regard. Particularly Obi Wan. So when I jokingly said to my fiancée (who is also a Star Wars fan) "we should totally get a light saber to cut the cake [at our wedding]" I was suprised to get the reply "f**k yeh! Can we do that? Where can we buy one?". After much investigation, it was clear that these guys [Ultrasaber] offered the best looking product, at the best price (you can give me royalties later). Sadly I could find no company that would make the blade usable for cake cutting. As such I have since commissioned a craftsman from the Isle of Skye to take one of the blades these guys sell and 'sharpen' one end to make that ever so important cut. Before anyone jumps on this as an answer to the problem, we are quite aware that the blade will not be combat suitable, not by any stretch of the imagination, but it will be capable of cutting the cake. Once it has fulfilled its cake duties, I do intend on making use of it at future comiccons in the full Jedi attire. But there will be no saber battle at the wedding, I am not cool enough, or well enough trained for that, it would just look embarrassing!

Finally I feel I should mention my one concern and potential poor review point. I would like to note that I have not verified this yet, it is just stipulation and not a complaint in any way. The one feature that worries me is the sound board being strapped to the battery pack. I realise now, I probably should have had a built in charging and USB port to avoid this. Quite simply, the board, while it looks stable and well made, just seems a little close to something I might break while changing batteries to charge them. Having said this, I have not broken it yet, and I intend on keeping it that way. But simply something I wanted to mention in case anyone was wondering if the port was worth having. I probably should have done more research into this part, but my feeling was I did not want any evidence that this was modern technology, I felt a USB would just give it away. Silly perhaps, but it was what I worried about, and therefore I assume someone else may have the same concern. Maybe someone can reply to this with some pictures and report on how their experience has been with this model?

As I got the v4 Obsidian sound, I will review and report on my experience of that when I get time. Christmas is looming and I don't foresee the chance to play in the next week Sad Though maybe I am just not strong enough with the force.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:16:33 PM »

Good review. I will tell you I never liked Jar Jar. I hear that was a Disney Character and so was the Phantom Menace. Which I loved him. I guess you take the good with the bad.  As for as the charging port goes.  It seems to me to be quite a bit of money to have that put in.  I would rather spend the money elsewhere. Also i tend to get into my saber anyway to change colors and sound fonts so for me it's not that big of a deal. Plus I'm scared to death that something happens, charging goes bad and I fry the whole insides of the saber. Just seems like a risk I would rather not take.  By the way the Guardian is my first and favorite saber. I don't think they make a better one and to boot it's Obi Wan's.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 03:54:04 AM »

Obi-Wan is an amazing Jedi!  Congrats on a beautiful lightsaber, there are few with such detail.  I've had my US for over three years and no question the soundboard and battery pack can handle a beating.  I've had the two sided tape come loose and not stick anymore, and I've solved that by strategic gluing(really easy).  Have confidence and use that saber!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: