Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Real Working Lightsaber?  (Read 7787 times)
Ronin
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -1

Guardian Without Question

« on: January 11, 2011, 08:11:02 AM »

I was reading an article calling out the faults behind the lightsaber, truthfully I was a little offended, anyway it made me start thinking of how it would logically work in the real world., so I threw this together in Flash8

http://www.truploader.com/view/227037

Please read all the little paragraphs for full info, and if you see a fault and have a solution post it here, who knows, maybe we can create something that resembles a true lightsaber... if we had the money of course...

Dominix V2 - R|G|B| -FIXED Cheesy
Prophecy - Consular Green
Light Phantom Initate - Gaurdian Blue (little bro's)

claudio
Knight Lance Corporal

bot here

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:48:53 AM »

Everything depends to what do you understand by ‘Real’ lightsaber… but last year there was a big controversy about a ‘real’ lightsaber called Spyder Artic made in Shangai by Wicked Lasers which is actually able to cut solid surfaces.
Obiosly, not like in the movie.. but you can still cut a CD case or wood pieces (due to the heat of the beam) as it’s a 1000nW Class IV laser.

Lord Neomorph
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -9

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »

I've been pretty interested with the possibility of the creation of a real lightsaber  and came across a few youtube videos that I think you should check out
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNubaa7n9o&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNubaa7n9o&amp;feature=related</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_Hq1f8-0E&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_Hq1f8-0E&amp;feature=related</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_Hq1f8-0E&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_Hq1f8-0E&amp;feature=related</a>

Dark Prophecy RGB
Darth Vader
Bane (Blazing Red)
Raven SS (Emerald)
Manticore (Emerald)

Lord Neomorph
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -9

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »

That's if you haven't seen them already.

Dark Prophecy RGB
Darth Vader
Bane (Blazing Red)
Raven SS (Emerald)
Manticore (Emerald)

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 04:50:10 AM »

I hear occasionally about people trying this with a plasma torch, and blowing themselves up a lot.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Ronin
Knight Ensign

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 05:52:01 AM »

Yeah NeoMorph, I saw it the night I made this Cheesy kind of disappointing though 

Basically there are two major problems that skeptics are so quick to point out...

1. Lasers pass through each other

2. Lasers will continue in a beam and cannot be stopped abruptly

A prominent theory about the blade is that the beam emits ions (not sure how, superheated air molecules maybe?) that repel from each other but will keep together once at a stable distance, more energy means a longer blade. This ion theory would also explain why two lightsabers could not pass through one another, being that each one is at a different frequency and have different ion charges that do not attract to the other. The rate at which the blade is emitted is determined by ion repulsion, in the same way gas dissipates, even the color of the blade depends on how the ions react in a vacuum, basically it looks like this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnuBoLpf43Y" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnuBoLpf43Y</a>
Another example at work is arcs of electricity and lightning. 

This is just food for thought, but I was talking to my friends about black holes and what their polar opposite would be, I suggested that basically the only true opposite would be if in some inconceivable way we had the means to condense light into a SOLID object. Equal but opposite amounts of energy, equally dangerous. A lightsaber is not even technically light solidified, more so it is light in a form of gas that is contained.

Darth Ryuyee
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -57

The Bolas Brood Leader

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:23:14 AM »

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber
Check it out might help with the theory behind it all? Also a really awesome website for star wars fans like us!!! Grin
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:26:27 AM by Ryuyee » Logged

Dark Prophecy- Blazing Red
Dark Liberator-Consular Green
Dark War Glaive W/Sound-Guardian Blue
PVC Prophecy-Guardian Blue (niece's)
Dark Standard Issue-Violet Amethyst

Ronin
Knight Ensign

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 05:35:42 AM »

Dang, this thread has risen from the grave lol. Yeah, I love wookieepedia.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »

I thought it was established that lightsabers were not light, but were in fact plasma.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 10:46:15 PM »

I had assumed they were plasma as well, and that the name came from the fact that they glowed and their weight.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 12:14:55 AM »

As much as I love Michio Kaku, he got it wrong this time.  Plasma radiates heat and is very inefficient.  Quite the opposite of a lightsaber, which is so efficient it only expends power when striking an object and doesn't radiate any heat at all until it makes contact with an object.

A lightsaber is supposed to be an energy beam weapon.  Such technology is so far from our grasp that our modern day scientists call the idea "impossible"... yeah, well, what do they know?  Scientists 200 years ago would have said the sabers I build today are equally "impossible".

Imagination is truly the only limitation for mankind's technology.  If it can be imagined, it can be reality... eventually.

Darth Ryuyee
Knight Major

The Bolas Brood Leader

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 12:40:47 AM »

The reason the saber does not produce heat is because it is contained in a containment field, this can be found on the wookiepedia link i posted above the containment field also shapes the blade.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 03:12:05 AM »

Wookiepedia is not an official source and anyone can edit the articles.  

Plasma makes no sense anyway.  Why would crystals be needed for a plasma blade?  Or lenses?  They wouldn't.  It sounds like the guy who wrote that wookiepedia article has no idea what plasma is at all I.E.:

"that converted the energy into plasma."

Energy is not converted into Plasma.  Plasma is a state of matter.

"The plasma was projected through a set of focusing crystals"

Plasma doesn't pass through crystal or any other matter that dense.  Otherwise, plasma TV's and plasma balls would not work.

The Star Wars Databank explains it the way Lucas intends it and makes no mention of plasma:

"These crystals are ideal for the creation of lightsabers, as they focus the energy released from a saber's power cell into the tight, blade-like beam. Early lightsabers did not have self-contained power cells, and were instead connected by a conducting cable to a belt-worn power pack.

Once unleashed, the power channels through a positively charged continuous energy lens at the center of the handle. The beam then arcs circumferentially back to a negatively charged high energy flux aperture. A superconductor transfers the power from the flux aperture to the power cell. As a result, a lightsaber only expends power when its blade cuts through something. So efficient is the blade, that it does not radiate heat unless it comes into contact with something."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:19:49 AM by Ultra » Logged

Ronin
Knight Ensign

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »

As much as I love Michio Kaku, he got it wrong this time.

Completely agree, and to your previous post as well.

Darth Ryuyee
Knight Major

The Bolas Brood Leader

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »

Maybe there is plasma emitted in the hilt then the light that produces passes through the crystals and lenses, creating the "blade". Just a thought, I really have no idea how a lightsaber could be made in real life because light cant be made solid "as far as we know" but im sure if it can be done we will have it in the next 200 to 300 years. Too bad i wont be around then Cry, unless I clone myself! Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: