Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: THE Battery Setup for Stunt stabers!  (Read 39078 times)
RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 01:48:43 PM »

Why am I not hearing praise proportional to the glorious'ness of this post lol?!  Bump.

No but seriously, thanks CJ, I'm absolutely doing this on my next project, my dark sentinel LE.   Ideally I'll be creating a mounted port something like what you mentioned, though it's also tempting to opt instead for the set up like Jed mentioned as well, skip the port in favour of something like quick disconnects, for quickly swapping precharged replacement banks Smiley.  Hmm.... I need to meditate on this lol...

Venthros
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

Light Side Points Please!

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 02:50:20 AM »

I just wanted to say that this is awesome. I just finished putting one of these in my SIBS grab bag and it worked perfectly. I will say that I saw no noticeable difference in brightness, but I think having the rechargeable battery bank is 1000000000% worth it.

Here's some pictures of what I did:

After removing the AAA battery pack, there was only about an inch of wire to work with, so instead of wiring directly to the USB connector, I used some of the old USB cord's wire. It actually turned out to be a little too much, but I was still able to neatly tuck the wire into the hilt so the bank will fit.

Here it is all connected. I connected. Like I said before...too much wire.

Here's the before (first) and after (second) pic. Like I said, not really much different if you ask me. Totally glad I decided to do this though.

Not pictured is the battery bank. I put a few of my girlfriend's hair ties around the battery bank to ensure a snug fit. Works like a charm.
Thanks for sharing the idea, CJ-Nihilus!

Owned
Mantis CE Emerald
SIBS V3 Blazing Red (Grab Bag)

"If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you could ever imagine".

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 04:36:08 PM »

Thanks for posting Venthros!  Great idea preserving the wiring from a usb cord to work as an adapter and make the soldering job simpler Smiley.  I'm going to be doing this to my stunt that i'm modding right now- can't wait.

Venthros
Knight Apprentice

Light Side Points Please!

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 08:22:30 PM »

Thanks for posting Venthros!  Great idea preserving the wiring from a usb cord to work as an adapter and make the soldering job simpler Smiley.  I'm going to be doing this to my stunt that i'm modding right now- can't wait.

Let us know how you make out! As far as mods go, this one is pretty easy!

Owned
Mantis CE Emerald
SIBS V3 Blazing Red (Grab Bag)

"If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you could ever imagine".

Joshualee9871
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 09:39:40 PM »

I'm interested in doing this with an initiate staff I'm thinking of ordering. I was wondering if these are small enough to slide in an initiate hilt? And also, this should just work with a AAA stunt setup right? With no other options? Like I don't have to worry about ordering the Li-ion with resistor? Just the basic set up. Do those come prewired with resistors? So I don't have to do anything else? Just order a saber with AAA setup and just snip off the battery pack and wire in a USB port?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 12:22:54 PM »

Yeah, no matter what STUNT saber you were to order you'd be ok to make the swap, it wouldn't fry anything Smiley.  Your led will already be resistored appropriately when US sends it to you, and the power banks pretty much all put out the same 5V, seems to be a standard- so actually it'll be feeding just ever so slightly less than what your AAA battery pack was (if I'm understanding correctly).  You'd have to be careful if the saber wasn't a stunt, not because of danger of frying anything, but only because the lithium ions put out a higher voltage, so that saber would have been set up with a puck or resistor that'd be overkill for the lower voltage power bank.  Hope that helps- MTFBWY Smiley.

Joshualee9871
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 10:01:40 PM »

Awesome!! Thanks! I'm looking at ordering soon so I can get in the raffle. And I know the initiate sabers are the same width but I was just wondering if there's enough room length-wise in them for these battery packs. $10 per battery for 4-5 hours of use per saber is a steal haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 10:36:53 PM »

I love the idea behind this, though I am afraid it might be beyond my meager skills at smithing...

Best part is you can charge up 2 or 3 of these bad boys and carry them around.  Run out of juice, pop it out and pop in another.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

phantompencil
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -9

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 06:48:50 PM »

I'm looking at another brand battery pack that has a 5400 mAh with an output of 5V / 2.1 A

I'm not very savvy with electrical numbers.  Do I need to worry about the amperage output?  Or is the voltage what matters?

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 02:59:34 PM »

thanks ---  i am a novice, but want to remember this post for future builds ---

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

Kraxtor
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

Balance: tipping the scales back towards neutral

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 05:54:08 PM »

Great idea!  I'm going to try this with my stunt dark initiate!

We are just as blind in total darkness as we are in total light; it is only through a combination that we are permitted to see.

There are at least two sides to every story, and typically the truth is found somewhere in the middle.

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »

Fantastic idea Nihilus, now there's a great advancement if by any chance the standard battery pack breaks. I'll definitely try this setup on my Prophecy!
Thank you for sharing!

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 01:59:11 PM »

I'm looking at another brand battery pack that has a 5400 mAh with an output of 5V / 2.1 A

I'm not very savvy with electrical numbers.  Do I need to worry about the amperage output?  Or is the voltage what matters?

Amperage is just the maximum the pack's able to put out. If your LED's only asking for 1A, the pack'll only put out the 1A. Just worry about the 5v for your resistor/driver calculations.

That said, keep an eye on reviews, since lots of off-brands like to fluff up their mAh ratings.

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 03:14:27 PM »

Aweome, thanks for clearing that up Kouri! Point awarded.

Dragon Two
Knight Lance Corporal

Keep me neutral - Accepting LS or DS points

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 09:47:29 PM »

Sorry to revive an older thread, but (1) do these packs have a constant output?  I read that the type I'm interested in uses 'Panasonic' batteries, so (2) what does that mean? 
(They're Li-ions.)  The type I'm interested it has LED status lights, so I'm looking to drill a square window in the hilt about 1" x 1" so I can see them.  (3) What size bit should I use?  Again, sorry for reviving an older thread, and for my very scattered questions.

Failure is a concept created by human minds as an excuse for not trying at all.

There can be no light without shadow.
There can be no shadow without light.

Owner of:
Exactly 0 Ultra Sabers

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: